Oneida County VHF P25 Trunking?

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
The 352 is an "optimized" FM discriminator setup, so it doesn't handle simulcast well, where as the SDS is an I/Q receiver that handles the simulcast just fine. The results should be night and day!

Just some quick comments on the towers, until you have actually done the TSB88 propagation studies, never assume where a tower should be, especially in a simulcast system. Higher is usually not better when simulcast is involved. There are numerous factors when siting radio sites and evaluating coverage all of which have to be balanced in the design. The design comes together like a giant puzzle.

For the record, the County office building is on the microwave ring and is used for a receive site, Star Hill will be a trunking site, There is a tower to the East of the Zoo on the same hill, Tilden Hill. That is a better site as it is farther back on the hill allowing coverage into Chadwicks. Smith Hill would actually cause too much simulcast interference all over the place, not to mention the noise floor at VHF is atrocious up there. The Floyd site is actually less a coverage fill and more a simulcast interference fill site. It lands in the middle of several sites to clean up the simulcast, the one on Pine Hill (Taberg) is doing something similar.

Also, just because something is licensed at a site does not mean it's actually active. In a simulcast design if 5 towers are planned and only 4 are constructed, using 4 instead of 5 can actually make the system not work over a large area. You normally need all sites to be operational for the system to "work." TDMA has much tighter tolerances for simulcast.

kc2hsu

I was in Barneveld/Remsen yesterday and received no signal. I'm guessing that the North Steuben Road transmitter isn't online and maybe others, associated with the WRCC846 license?

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth....licenses are limited to 6 fixed sites. It's an old legacy thing that hasn't been updated for modern databases. Many systems are broken up across many licenses/callsigns based on numerous circumstances in how the system was developed and deployed as well as the personal philosophy of the filer/engineer. There is not a direct corollation between a callsign and system deployment. The best check, albeit most fudge this, is the buildout dates. From the outside looking in, it's imprecise at best.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
The Floyd site is actually less a coverage fill and more a simulcast interference fill site. It lands in the middle of several sites to clean up the simulcast, the one on Pine Hill (Taberg) is doing something similar.

I checked the signal strength from Pine Hill (Taberg) today. I don't believe there is a tower/transmitter there yet.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you will find any additional trunking sites on yet. Motorola goes through a process to optimize the simulcast when they turn on new sites so they will only do it once if at all possible. The Floyd site needs to be built to complete this phase of the buildout, it was delayed for sometime.

Speculating about the process (Cliff Notes version): to optimize the simulcast across all the sites (new and old), as the new sites potentially change the timing on the old sites, Motorola will likely pull one channel out of the system and put it in maintenance mode. This would allow the techs to confirm alignment without potential disruptions to system operations. The alignment procedure uses a digital test bit pattern, it would be highly unlikely that you would notice it happening. Once they confirm the alignment, the configuration would be pushed to all the repeaters and the sites would come online. The only indication a scanner listener would get is a change in coverage.

fasteddy64

I need to make a quick trip to the area (Holland Patent to be exact) and wonder if anyone has a file for the SDS-100 they would be willing to share?
Thanks,
Ed
KG5UN

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest taking a ride to Utica with the SDS, if you have the programming correct you will hear it all!
I live east of Dyke road and had the same problem, but after a short drive to Utica I found it was my location that was my problem and not my 100 or my programming! Good place to start trouble shooting!
Good luck!!

fasteddy64

I would suggest taking a ride to Utica with the SDS, if you have the programming correct you will hear it all!
I live east of Dyke road and had the same problem, but after a short drive to Utica I found it was my location that was my problem and not my 100 or my programming! Good place to start trouble shooting!
Good luck!!
Yes it worked fine in Utica.
I was just curious if anyone was able to get anything in HGP and if so what would there suggestions be to me.
I had better luck with the Madison county stuff than Oneida.
I am back in Mississippi now but should be visiting HP again in the late summer. I will play with it some more then.
Thanks,
Ed

Prospect62

Yes it worked fine in Utica.
I was just curious if anyone was able to get anything in HGP and if so what would there suggestions be to me.
I had better luck with the Madison county stuff than Oneida.
I am back in Mississippi now but should be visiting HP again in the late summer. I will play with it some more then.
Thanks,
Ed

I live one mile south of the Village of Holland Patent and coverage is great outdoors and adequate indoors with my Unication G2. Traveling through Holland Patent I don't recall having an issue, most of my complaints are with the very eastern edge of the county.

To your concern, I can only assume that when the Floyd tower comes online that coverage in HP will improve.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if Herkimer County has any plans of joining this system??

Thanks

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
Does anyone know if Herkimer County has any plans of joining this system??

Thanks

Herkimer is getting there own system called
Adirondack regional interoperability between 2023-2025 system has plans for build outs but won't see it happen till after NY state thruway way systems are build in 2025

Disp46

Premium Subscriber
Herkimer is getting there own system called
Adirondack regional interoperability between 2023-2025 system has plans for build outs but won't see it happen till after NY state thruway way systems are build in 2025
Where do you get your information? The Adirondack Communications Consortium is comprised of Counties from Herkimer wrapping over and around up to St. Lawrence and it’s primary goal is common microwave connectivity only!!! There are no common LMR systems like there are in CNYICC. Herkimer County has zero plans for going digital… period!

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
Where do you get your information? The Adirondack Communications Consortium is comprised of Counties from Herkimer wrapping over and around up to St. Lawrence and it’s primary goal is common microwave connectivity only!!! There are no common LMR systems like there are in CNYICC. Herkimer County has zero plans for going digital… period!

Adirondack Regional Interoperable Communications Consortium
Chairman: Glen Gosnell, Washington County
Counties: Albany, Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Herkimer, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, St. Lawrence, Warren, Washington

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
Herkimer County proposed project is to expand the current
RF Coverage, improve current Microwave System and link
the system into the ARICC to the east and also into the
Central New York Interoperable Communication
Consortium (CNYICC) to the west. The SICG would supply
Herkimer County with a P25 VHF Trunking Backbone and
would also greatly improve interoperability by installing
National Interoperability Frequencies at our main
communications sites. Herkimer County will also install an
enhanced Communications Dispatch System at the County