Open Source Intelligence, how we are the spies.

ranger2004

I don't want to cause any issues with RR staff.

But I want all of us to stop and think about the information we put on public websites/forums.
We detail everything in a PS radio system. Our adversary(lets say China) does not have to do much information
gathering because we have provided very detailed info on the radio system.
They could interfere or completely take down the system remotely.

Another example is users sharing ADSB traffic to public servers.
Tracking military planes that not even we should know where they fly.

We post frequencies for Utilities like it's no big deal.
Questar, Utah Power companies, City Utility services.

We make it harder for our Police/Military to protect our country.

So my point is think before posting something.
1. Would you want Iran, China or N. Korea to know this info? (even domestic threats)
2. Could this information be used to anything malicious?
3. Could this be used against our city, state or country in anyway?

When you think about who would want this info, can you really oppose encryption?

Share among trusted friends.

wtp

if the enemy needs to know that a sheriff's car stopped on route 75 south to help with a flat tire.
i am sure that they can know that
the real 'black' planes can turn off the ADSB to go really dark.
so no one really knows the top secret stuff.
and my though about power companies is,
how could they think ANYTHING about them needs encryption !
even with enc or voice inversion, someone knew that there was too much radio traffic at three mile island and called the news folks.
sure they probably wanted that kept secret. but we should have known what was going on.

the nasty folks will always find a way to do something.
i will not give a list to make it easy as i usually know enough to cause trouble.

K5KNT

Nation states can, and are, monitoring the airwaves with much more sophisticated equipment than we have. I have military aircraft fly over my house on nearly a daily basis that are not transponding on ADSB.

Reactions: wtp

ranger2004

Nation states can, and are, monitoring the airwaves with much more sophisticated equipment than we have. I have military aircraft fly over my house on nearly a daily basis that are not transponding on ADSB.
Right there.. Exactly what I mean. It's not if we can scan but should we post every detail. Actor states dont have monitor we do and we report everything. We take pictures, we post them. Geo Located this plane on this date.
"military aircraft fly over my house on nearly a daily basis"

ranger2004

if the enemy needs to know that a sheriff's car stopped on route 75 south to help with a flat tire.
i am sure that they can know that
the real 'black' planes can turn off the ADSB to go really dark.
so no one really knows the top secret stuff.
and my though about power companies is,
how could they think ANYTHING about them needs encryption !
even with enc or voice inversion, someone knew that there was too much radio traffic at three mile island and called the news folks.
sure they probably wanted that kept secret. but we should have known what was going on.

the nasty folks will always find a way to do something.
i will not give a list to make it easy as i usually know enough to cause trouble.
What are you rambling about?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It’s as though the OP has never heard of the FCC database, online and accessible...for all. As to ADS-B and tracking military traffic, not unless they want to make themselves “visible”. Additionally, because you probably are not aware of this either, there are official audio streams provided by police departments.

Anyways, thank you for being a Premium RR member with your paid subscription.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
But I want all of us to stop and think about the information we put on public websites/forums.
We detail everything in a PS radio system. Our adversary(lets say China) does not have to do much information
gathering because we have provided very detailed info on the radio system.
They could interfere or completely take down the system remotely.

Personally, I'm more concerned about our own people that program their CCR's/amateur radios to access public safety systems that they shouldn't be on.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
When the Chinese Communists can hack into Federal computer systems and steal the information, like they did with the OPM in 2015 and steal every cleared Fed employee record, about 22.1 million worth...

When the DoD systems have been repeatedly hacked...

When contractors have been repeatedly hacked...

When State and local government systems have been repeatedly hacked...

When universities host foreign students who take a special interest in certain students for their academic and professional interests/histories for no apparent reason...

When the internet dark web exists for all to monitor and pilfer from...

Want to make a difference in intelligence? Ask why Swalwell is still in Congress and why Wen Ho Lee fled from Sandia National Lab to China after a completely inept DoJ investigation and prosecution so bad that a Federal judge apologized, yet W-88 weapon secrets were disclosed to the Chinese MSS.

wtp

ranger2004

What are you rambling about?

basically what we can listen to is of little importance.
the stuff you are talking about is grass on a scope.
get back to me if you know what that means...