Pickens County Upgrades

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the PAL800 is out. Local News | Oops forgot that was behind a paywall, sorry. Anyway the say the could use the mercedes benz system radio system and they already have 20 million in funds, but to build it out would be 23 million. So I am guessing they will go with a cheaper service like NXDN at this point. These politicians need to rein Motorola in for their exobinate prices, when there is a very seldom ever used tower in place already.

Last edited:

Hardrock40

Looks like the PAL800 is out. Local News | Oops forgot that was behind a paywall, sorry. Anyway the say the could use the mercedes benz system radio system and they already have 20 million in funds, but to build it out would be 23 million. So I am guessing they will go with a cheaper service like NXDN at this point. These politicians need to rein Motorola in for their exobinate prices, when there is a very seldom ever used tower in place already.
If any of you peeps get the complete system figured out, please share. I know its a ways out before they get it up and running, just hate to give up a nearly 40 year hobby.

As a comparison, Henderson Co NC runs a multi-site NexEdge system also, and it sounds like Pickens Co will implement something similar. Henderson Co continues to run their conventional analog fire paging transmitter, and I assume that's to handle volunteer paging.

Polk Co NC also runs NXDN in "conventional" mode (not a trunked system like NexEdge). To my knowledge they no longer provide analog conventional tone-out. Perhaps they're depending on the CAD system to send SMS text messages to volunteers? Not sure how that impacts things like ISO ratings.

The cost difference between P25 and other digital modes is real, and in many case, really BIG. But there are some compromises that come along with those other digital modes and the corresponding cost savings. It's a shame that the State of SC isn't able to do more to help defray the cost of joining Palmetto 800 for these smaller counties, as the state's interoperability plan depends on agencies being on or at least having access to Palmetto 800. I guess when Motorola operates the system, then they set the pricing? I'd be interested to know how those relationships work (between the state, Motorola, local governments and other P25 vendors and manufacturers) and what options are really available for alternative P25 solutions.
Currently in Henderson county all fire departments are alerted via the analog simulcast channel. EMS has the option to use either one. Outside of carrying out a portable, no NXDN paging system exists currently thus leaving the dispatch simulcasting on both.

Polk county is also in the process of moving to the same NXDN trunked system and will be moving anytime now.

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
Anymore word on what system or radios they will go with? I have asked some guys that work for PC and they don’t even know.

RADIOTECH1818

Premium Subscriber
Negative I think it's still in the works. I heard from a reliable source that nothing is going to be in written in stone until 2024 some time?

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
Negative I think it's still in the works. I heard from a reliable source that nothing is going to be in written in stone until 2024 some time?
That’s what I heard. I did some digging and for minutes from the Pickens County Emergency Services Advisory Board back in March talk about the Pal800 system. Saying that we would need 12 towers and it would cost. But there may be State money to build them. Then it says they went on to discuss VHF vs. UHF and other options.

rescuecomm

Twelve towers seems like a lot to me. But, to get handheld coverage over the area, I suppose that's what the software indicates. What does Pickens County use now? Six sites counting Easley Rescue's repeater in Easley city?

Glassy Mountain:
EMS - 155.175 RPT
ADMIN 155.115 RPT - Rescue dispatch,
Rural FD 151.340
Sheriff 1 - 460.450
Sheriff det - 453.975
Pickens/Liberty PD 453.700

Six Mile Mountain
Sheriff 3 - 460.150
Six Mile FD - 159.1125

Norris Water tower
153,695 Norris FD dispatch

Liberty Water tower
155.925 Liberty FD dispatch

Easley Water Tank N1st
Easley Rescue Ch4 155.7750 dispatch on 155.115

Central Water tower
155.145 Central FD dispatch
460.350 Sheriff Ch4

Easley City and Clemson City have independent communications and 911 PSAP

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
Twelve towers seems like a lot to me. But, to get handheld coverage over the area, I suppose that's what the software indicates. What does Pickens County use now? Six sites counting Easley Rescue's repeater in Easley city?

Glassy Mountain:
EMS - 155.175 RPT
ADMIN 155.115 RPT - Rescue dispatch,
Rural FD 151.340
Sheriff 1 - 460.450
Sheriff det - 453.975
Pickens/Liberty PD 453.700

Six Mile Mountain
Sheriff 3 - 460.150
Six Mile FD - 159.1125

Norris Water tower
153,695 Norris FD dispatch

Liberty Water tower
155.925 Liberty FD dispatch

Easley Water Tank N1st
Easley Rescue Ch4 155.7750 dispatch on 155.115

Central Water tower
155.145 Central FD dispatch
460.350 Sheriff Ch4

Easley City and Clemson City have independent communications and 911 PSAP
That’s all we use in the fire side is VHF. PD and SO are UHF all analog.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Weird that VHF works fine here. I think they may be shooting their selves in the foot with this move. We are pretty hilly out here.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Some radio company blew a little sunshine up you know where to sell it. I live in northern Pickens county, waste the money that is why 12 towers are needed.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Easley and others have already been on 800, they went back to VHF and UHF, what does that tell you?

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Easley sampled it years ago and dropped it would say no need to worry now maybe 3 or 4 years from now but we are good.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Palmetto 800 is the a logical choice if there are concerns or interest about interoperability with Greenville or Anderson Counties. Sure, there are other ways to accomplish interoperability that don't require all agencies to be on the same radio system. But Palmetto 800 is the interoperability solution that the State recommends. In theory, they could also have direct interoperability with agencies across the state line on NC VIPER (I don't think Transylvania County is a major VIPER user at this point).

For most agencies, the concerns with Palmetto 800 are the ongoing service costs and coverage. Palmetto 800 has demonstrated that they will construct new towers and establish simulcast sites to resolve most coverage issues. For sure, the hilly topography of northern Pickens County will create challenges for coverage. And to be sure, the cost of 800MHz radios are sky high. Some agencies turn over the maintenance of their radio system to Palmetto 800 and that could be a potential cost savings. Others have chosen to maintain their own systems tied to Palmetto 800.

Lots of other counties in SC have made the switch to Palmetto 800, and it seems like most are generally happy with the service. Perhaps they'll find a solution that they believe is equally good but less expensive than Palmetto 800. A few counties have gone that route as well (Oconee, for example). And if they're concerned about interoperability, they can engineer a solution for that too. Let's hope the decision makers are getting good advice and make prudent decisions in the best interest of citizens and county taxpayers.

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
InterOp comes into focus when a presidential candidate campaigns in Pickens County, which shares the same challenge that would limit 800 in Oconee and Transylvania counties: the Eastern Continental Divide. The state legislatures should recognize this and foot the bill to build the towers there and in Greenville and Spartanburg counties, as well. Counties should pick up the tab for the radios.

rescuecomm

I thought the SC State legislators just approved $120 million to support the Pal 800 system?

The biggest problem with the P25 systems is the cost of handheld radios. Not a problem with fully paid departments and the handhelds stay at the station. For a rural department that has maybe a chief and 6 paid positions. (2 guys each shift on 24 on/48 off), you need to know who's coming in and what pumpers, tankers, etc needs to come. Buying 20 handheld P25 radios at 5,000 apiece plus monthly subscriber fees can add up if the district's tax base is private homes. Grants can get the system up, but taxes will keep it running.

According to the data base, at least 3 departments in Greenville county are listed as buying DMR airtime from big M. Is that still active or old info?

According to the data base, at least 3 departments in Greenville county are listed as buying DMR airtime from big M. Is that still active or old info?
rescuecomm,

Yes, they are still active on DMR. It seems that these channels are being used as talk-around channels, but they are active. Occasionally I monitor them and I hear lots of activity on 464.050 Color Code 1 Slot 2 TG 5000 and 461.725 Color Code 1 Slot 1 TG 9000. Judging by the activity heard on 464.050 Color Code 1 Slot 2 TG 5000, this sounds like Tigerville Fire Department and have submitted it to the database as such. I still haven't nailed down who is using 461.725 Color Code 1 Slot 1 TG 9000.

As far as the other fire departments are concerned, I was hearing Duncan Chapel Fire do their morning radio checks, but I haven't heard that in a while. The same goes for Piedmont Park, Parker, Wade Hampton and Fountain Inn Fire Departments, I haven't heard them in a while either and I've never heard Travelers Rest use their DMR channel. I want to say that Simpsonville Fire Department is still active on DMR because I've heard several key-ups with no voice.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Ha, so some Greenville Co FDs can afford Palmetto 800 radios for majority of their comms and also pay airtime on a local DMR repeater for admin/talk-around comms. Of course, Greenville County taxpayers now pay significantly for those services. I think the Palmetto 800 radio service in Greenville Co is now paid for by special purpose sales tax? I can't find reference to it now online, but I feel like that's the case.

The tax base in Pickens County is obviously very different. Maybe local politicians don't have the appetite to raise taxes to pay for such a service. And that's certainly a prudent stance for elected officials and taxpayers, if they can find a solution with the features and functions they need that doesn't cost so much,

rescuecomm

When Greenville County moved to the Pal800, I understood that the radio equipment was partially funded by a grant. It could be that the DMR airtime is paid by the fire departments themselves.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Dacusville still has to wake and feed the horses to carry equipment to the seen! Not that bad really, but if we have a fire, consider it a total loss.