pima county scanner recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaitlyn4589

ok so i have lived in tucson az for quite a while now. my last scanner was an old analog scanner from like 2001 no trucking no digital no nothing. from the research i have done, pima county as well as tucsom az have switched to a phase 2 digital system. for someone who hasnt used a scanner since 2006 what scanner would you guys recommend for me? some more info below to help you choose the right scanner for my needs

what do i want to monitor?
tucson police
tuson fire
hospitals
airports
railroad
highway patrol
all of pima county for when i travel to various parts of az

im open to either a handheld or a desktop unit

the max im willing to spend is 700$ altho i am open to going higher if needed would prefer something that is easer to program altho im not against reading and learning if its difficult to program for thanks for your time feel free to ask any questions ill answer them best i can

oh im on the eastside of town if it maters and i live in apartment complex so outdoor antenna is not allowed

would be awesome if i could update the scanner if the frequencies or systems change im pretty computer savvy

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Or the Uniden SDS-200 base/mobile version. They work identically.

The SDS-100 is $649.99, and the SDS-200 is $699.99. Depending on where you buy it, you may or may not have to pay sales tax and/or shipping. I bought my SDS-100 from Scannermaster with no sales tax, and free shipping that took about a week.

They may or may not currently be in stock. I know I saw a mention of the 200 being out of stock everywhere fairly recently.

John
Peoria

would be awesome if i could update the scanner if the frequencies or systems change im pretty computer savvy
I echo the recommendation for the SDS200 Base model.

The scanner database is updated weekly from the Radio Reference Database and you can customize your programming further with the Sentinel program, which is free.

The SDS100 is handheld. but not as rugged.

Here is the "Easier to Read" manual for the scanner and software:

Good luck!

kaitlyn4589

The SDS-100 is $649.99, and the SDS-200 is $699.99. Depending on where you buy it, you may or may not have to pay sales tax and/or shipping. I bought my SDS-100 from Scannermaster with no sales tax, and free shipping that took about a week.

They may or may not currently be in stock. I know I saw a mention of the 200 being out of stock everywhere fairly recently.

John
Peoria

thank you i will keep an eye out for the model you mentioned

kaitlyn4589

John
Peoria

do the sds100&sds200 come pre programmed if not how easy are they to program for?

kaitlyn4589

I echo the recommendation for the SDS200 Base model.

The scanner database is updated weekly from the Radio Reference Database and you can customize your programming further with the Sentinel program, which is free.

The SDS100 is handheld. but not as rugged.

Here is the "Easier to Read" manual for the scanner and software:

Good luck!

any idea if this scanner would be great for monitoring PCWIN? i know its not on the level of an sds100 but can be had cheaper?

KB7MIB

Read the "Easier to read" manual linked above.

It comes with an internal database, taken from the Radio Reference database here, although you'll probably have to update it, as it'll probably be a bit out of date. It's updated and programmed through the Sentinel software. You select what you want to listen to, and organize that into "Favorites Lists" according to your own preferences.

John
Peoria

i know its not on the level of an sds100 but can be had cheaper?
I don't own that scanner so someone who does may be able to help you.

In the meantime, you should read up on "Simulcast Distortion".

It's something that the SDS scanners were specifically designed to overcome, and they are the only scanners that are.

Your area may or may not suffer from it, and location is everything.

Here is another discussion about it..

Good luck!

DanRollman

Database Admin
I don't own that scanner so someone who does may be able to help you.

In the meantime, you should read up on "Simulcast Distortion".

It's something that the SDS scanners were specifically designed to overcome, and they are the only scanners that are.

Your area may or may not suffer from it, and location is everything.

Here is another discussion about it..

Good luck!

To add some context as someone who (previously) owned a 436 and now owns an SDS and has used them both on PCWIN, the 436 suffers from exactly this issue on PCWIN. My SDS100 works leaps and bounds better on PCWIN than my 436 did. 436 suffered much more from choppy and missed transmissions than the SDS does. YMMV.

sonnikaz

I just picked up a SDS100 (my first scanner was a BCD436HP). The SDS100 greatly helps with simulcast issues in the East Valley, notably on RWC.

I'll recommend Ham Radio Outlet. They have locations throughout - but I gave a call to their Phoenix location to check inventory to see if I'd get lucky on in-store inventory - as SDS100s are a bit difficult to get right now.

If you call, they'll take your order on the phone - figure out which of their warehouses have the best scenario for inventory vs shipping time, ship directly to your residence, and - as the in-store sales people work on a commission they may cut you some deals on shipping or whatever to make sure you pay the most reasonable price possible.

n0doz

If the audio on the SDS 100 is better, I'd go with that. I use a BC436 and the audio sounds "toy-like" for lack of a better term. It does, however, do the job very well for less $ unless you have simulcast systems in your list... those are not well handled by the 436 at all.

kaitlyn4589

side from the sds100 and sds200 are there any other scanners that are decent for monitoring tucson AZ

heres a link to the network i wanna monitor im no pro but from what i can tell its a phase 2 or something can yall experts look at the link and shed some info plz thanks

600-800$ is a lot to pay for an sds100 or sds200 if its not needed im not an expert on what i need to monitor and the scanner apps are ****e

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Want to listen to Pima county public safety and government agencies? Get an SDS. Want to listen to Maricopa county public safety and government agencies? SDS. Simulcast is the immediate future of public safety comms for metro areas and they are moving towards these systems, not away from them.

Buy an SDS and be insulated from change for a decade or longer.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Want to listen to Pima county public safety and government agencies? Get an SDS. Want to listen to Maricopa county public safety and government agencies? SDS. Simulcast is the immediate future of public safety comms for metro areas and they are moving towards these systems, not away from them.

Buy an SDS and be insulated from change for a decade or longer.

I agree with buying the more expensive radio when a new one is needed. I've tried to do that since buying my first scanner back in 1970. In the long run you spend less on scanners by doing so, because you don't have to buy radios as often. This holds true for a lot of products, computers, tools, cars and most things electronic.

If only Uniden would stop using proprietary batteries for their handhelds. I bought the 325P2 that uses AA's so I could receive the only Phase 2 system in the region of California I live in. AA batteries and chargers occupy my cars and house. I have 32 PowerEx rechargeable AA's to power up all of my handhelds, except the older, seldom used BC-235, my first trunking capable scanner. It is the last radio I bought (26 years ago) that doesn't use standard AA's. My GRE, Bendix-King, ICOM and Kenwood radios all have AA battery packs available. I don't have any simulcast systems in the region of California I live in so I don't need the SDS-100. I would like a Phase 2, simulcast capable handheld for traveling. I can't foresee having to stash Uniden SDS chargers and extra batteries in 2 cars, my backpacks, luggage etc. I don't have room for a solar unit to charge an SDS battery, my existing portable AA solar unit is for AA's only. I think of how I can power my radios when disasters, power outages, heavy snowstorms and wildfires occur. I like to be prepared for all of those and extended traffic jams when we travel. Uniden is out of step with "preppers." I don't mean the apocalyptic types that used to be shown on the National Geographic Channel, but those who are prepared for what usually happens and might be likely occur in the areas they live in. Scanners and ham radios are an essential part of being prepared. If Yaesu, Kenwood, Bendix-King, and GRE can make AA battery packs for their radios then Uniden needs to also.

One of our friends in Arizona used to be a member here and she is just one more scanner/ham radio type that have standardized their radio collections to be AA battery capable. There are more of us than Uniden seems to realize.

KB7MIB

The SDS-100 comes with a USB cable and AC adapter. 12-volt DC adapters are widely available to plug into vehicles, or portable battery packs with a 12-volt outlet. (I even have an adapter that will plug into a standard 120-volt AC wall outlet that you can then plug a 12-volt DC plug into.)

I believe that USB power sticks for cellphones could also be used to power the SDS-100.

If you have options for powering your cellphone over long periods of time, those same options can be used to power an SDS-100 over long periods of time.

Just something to consider.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.