Portland Street Response

Bowlieweekender

Encryption is Easy - Key Management is Hard
Premium Subscriber
I see on the news they are now operational 24/7 because of the growing meth/homeless issue in Portland. I noted one team member had a Motorola APX radio, that might be the EMT in the team as it was the spendy ($500) green Fire Speaker Microphone designed to withstand heat exposure of 500˚F for up to five minutes. So, are they using PSR callsigns on the existing system, do they have their own TG or are they running on their own radio channel? Anyone know??

pdx911

Dispatcher
They aren't quite 24/7 yet, though it will be very nice once they are. I understand that to be sometime in Q1 next year. They are also still technically covering only the East precinct geographical area but they will occasionally go to calls outside of that area to help when they can.

They use call signs PSR1 and PSR2 on PFB Dispatch (tap out) and OPS1 for the time being, but once they are full service 24/7 and citywide they will be getting their own TG. They also have CAD (under the fire umbrella).

V_A_R_I_A_B_L_E

CIA Agent
Feed Provider
I also just saw a news story where one of them was indeed using a green APX radio. Have they been allocated a talkgroup yet, and is the above mentioned info about callsigns still accurate?

cinsu

Still generally using Fire channels and radios from the Portland Fire bank of radios hence the APXs

pdx911

Dispatcher
I also just saw a news story where one of them was indeed using a green APX radio. Have they been allocated a talkgroup yet, and is the above mentioned info about callsigns still accurate?
They have not. It’s all set up in their budget, and ours from what I understand, but staffing simply does not allow it at this point. So they still use TAP OUT and OPS1. They do use the APX radios and still use PSR# call signs.