Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_G

I have only used the HP1 at my local HAM store, but my 2 cents is this:

PRO's - The screen is beautiful
Ease of programming
GPS Interface

CONS'sNot enough audio power
Not sure what Uniden was thinking with batteries, but I would get rid of battery power and put in a big audio amp and bigger speaker. (maybe call it "Mobile Patrol"... ;)

How did they try too hard, they did a great job on the HP for the target customer and then made it better for advanced users too. Show me any other scanner that can do all the HP does! Also show me one with the advanced capabilities it has and that do it all at once....

Audio - mount it PROPERLY and you can hear it fine even with the windows down and 3 girls 7 to 11 screaming at each other....
Scan button? simply double tap the channel/department or system and it moves on....no need for a scan button.
To tippy without base- there are lots of mounts that work too....
Base doesn't lock like a mount - see above comment
Canot have multiple search ranges - sure, just make up search ranges using FL.... it aint rocket science...

does not allow for remote locating of radio w/ full control- what, do you need a remote control? Lazy people....

- too many duplicates (one county system loaded the same frequency 26 times)- Do they all have the same PL Tone or no tone? If they have seperate tones then there is a REASON they are in the DB 26 times.... again not rocket science. However if they are all the same then the DB admin needs to clean it up and use it once.

- many coverage circles are overly optimistic (25 miles for UHF fireground?) resulting in scanning channels many miles out of range - Really? How is their boundary OPTOMISTIC since they are set up for the jurisdiction they cover. Also there are other considerations, YOU may not hear them but someone else with a better antenna might. I regularly hear UHF fireground ops on my HP from much farther than 25 miles. On some systems 40 miles isn't out of the question. So what might not work for you might for others.

Viper I tried you suggestion for skipping a broadcast and I quote you:

"Scan button? simply double tap the channel/department or system and it moves on....no need for a scan button."

That might work on your system but it doesn't on mine. The first tap locks the channel or department and the second tap unlocks it regardless how fast or slow I tap on it.

Richard

LiberaFan08

Uniden developed this scanner for people who want to have a scanner but don't have the programming expertise. Knowing how to program the various types of trunked radio systems is just too complicated and time consuming for someone who isn't a "radio geek". Unfortunately, in solving one problem, they have created another. They have incorrectly assumed that all scanner users are "computer geeks", they assumed wrong. I have read countless posts from people who went out and bought a HomePatrol and cannot figure out how to use it or update it. It sounds like a big mess to me. For those of you who ARE computer geeks, I'm sure my comments seem silly. I have had a 996T, 396T and now have a 396XT. I have never used or needed a computer or software to program any of my radios becuse I understand how to program systems. It is second nature to me, but all of this programming and updating with a computer has me scratching my head. While the computer method may be faster and easier (once you learn how), there's a lot to learn if you aren't computer literate like me. Is learning how to program with a computer more or less complicated than my way and which software is best for a beginner ?

steve21

Premium Subscriber
HP1 pros & cons

The HP1 appears to be a fine scanner, information manipulation takes some getting used to, if you're not into computers, good luck.
I've purchased ARC software to aid in fine tuning channel info, etc and works well.
I'm disappointed in the cost of add ons like the GPS capability, but what's another 100 bucks, right?
I've owned a fair number of scanners over the years, but this is the first that I've had to pay for a software upgrade. (another 100 bucks)
Most of the new features in the 'Extreme' software update should have been included in the original version.
This type of add-on costs have me thinking twice about another Uniden product, as good as they are.

OCO

Uniden developed this scanner for people who want to have a scanner but don't have the programming expertise. Knowing how to program the various types of trunked radio systems is just too complicated and time consuming for someone who isn't a "radio geek". Unfortunately, in solving one problem, they have created another. They have incorrectly assumed that all scanner users are "computer geeks", they assumed wrong. I have read countless posts from people who went out and bought a HomePatrol and cannot figure out how to use it or update it. It sounds like a big mess to me. For those of you who ARE computer geeks, I'm sure my comments seem silly. I have had a 996T, 396T and now have a 396XT. I have never used or needed a computer or software to program any of my radios becuse I understand how to program systems. It is second nature to me, but all of this programming and updating with a computer has me scratching my head. While the computer method may be faster and easier (once you learn how), there's a lot to learn if you aren't computer literate like me. Is learning how to program with a computer more or less complicated than my way and which software is best for a beginner ?

I often find it interesting when reading a post like this to read other posts by that person. One of the comments you made quite a while ago is that you would never buy a HomePatrol. Assuming you stayed true to your word, how do you know how complex it is to use the Sentinel software or for that matter, how to enter a trunked or conventional system from the HP1 itself (which you can do) ? As far as the number of people with questions, I don't see any greater number than any other product. You say you aren't computer literate, but evidently know how to use a browser.. The effort to use most programming software depends more on your understanding of radio systems than computers. If you really want to try a software package as you asked, why not start with whatever the radio manufacturer supplies with the radio?

This is a hobby for most people - that often requires expanding your horizons. In the past 50 years or so, my hobbies have brought me many new skills - from welding to electronics, writing to woodworking.... you might consider trying opening up to some new ideas rather than expressing opinions lacking in hard facts..

Status
Not open for further replies.