QUESTION: What type of signal generator for SWR testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennW67

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the topic for me. I've been getting into making my own antennas for RC FPV video and have taken interest in the testing of my homemade antennas. The frequency of interest for me is within the 5.8ghz range. I own a Tektronix 494p spectrum analyzer ranging from 10mh-21ghz (which I'm doing my best to learn) as well as a directional coupler. The only additional thing I need is a signal generator so I can see the reflection over a nice span.

Here's my question:

I'm having trouble determining what kind of signal generator I need for this. I see the terms "signal generator" "tracking generator" "sweep generator" "sweep oscillator"? What type of signal generator do i need for this type of use? Obviously it must output RF range within my needs, but are some of these generators designed to be used only with oscilliscopes? Do they output power rather than rf signals?

One "sweep generator" I see within my budget ranges from 2-10ghz RF output. It is a Wiltron 610D with a 6219D Rf module. Not sure if this would work for me.

Sorry I'm a NOOB just getting into this and having some fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.