Railroad Frequencies Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
Many of the larger terminals use different road channels depending on where the trains are headed and what part of the terminal they're in. In Denver, BNSF uses 161.100 MHz (AAR 66) from near Mineral Ave to the south through the terminal to Brush, CO, 90 miles east of Denver. 161.16 MHz (AAR 70) is used for trains going north on the Front Range Sub towards Cheyenne and farther to the north. Local switchers in the yard and in industries will use different frequencies to avoid interfering with other switch crews. Mechanical inspectors (carmen) use 160.575 MHz for train inspections. Go to the data base listing for the city or line near you to find the frequencies in use near you. You might look to www.trainorders.com as a place to look for photos and info on railroad operations near you. It's divided into "Western Discussion" west of Chicago, Eastern Discussion east of Chicago, and other more specific Boards like Steam or Nostalgia (trains from years ago) or Canadian operations. Membership is $30 a year but there's a lot of talented photographers who post there and inquiries are generally answered quickly. You must be a member to post questions...

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned
evidently there are some ops who are really into the RR scanning. i have done it, but it seems the commo is fairly boring IMOP. when in ohio i often see guys with scanners and binoculars at the RR tracks waiting for trains. is there a name for these folks, like a slang term? i have thought of stopping and talking to them but i am usually trying to get somewhere. maybe next summer when there i will stop and talk to them. i should try scanning RR in southeast Virginia for a few days and see what i am able to pick up.
They are called "Foamers" .

Status
Not open for further replies.