Railroad Locomotive Radio Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Take the control head off and write a little software for a new interface.

Yep. The Railroad Spectra and ASTRO Spectra's were just 45watt spectra's with the RR interface. Nothing new really. Just in a really nice expensive piece of metal :)

timkilbride

Database Admin
I wonder where all the railroad motorola spectras went? junk yard??? Hardly see them in the cabs anymore.

Tim

PJH

Premium Subscriber
A little google fu from a RR members website that has already posted here...

DPD Productions - Railroad Gallery

As far as modern radios/engines, basically what you have seen here is in service here. JEM seems to have a good market share. They are either mounted above the engineer window, or in the control stand above the throttle/brakes. Usually just a speaker and mic (or speaker and handset) on the conductors side...that sometimes works.

Most radios out there look and operate fairly similar to the Motorola Railroad Spectra...just the insides are natually different.

timkilbride

Database Admin
From personally experience:

Seems UP has all JEM.

BNSF has both JEM and GE

KCS has GE

We are going with Ritron at work on the engines that Spectras. New engine purchases have came with GE radios.

Tim

dapaq2

I was trying to make a point that this post is drastically drifting off topic from its original subject reguarding the posting of Railroad Locomotive Radio photos. Not start discussion of everything else but posting the photos. I know there are other sites out there that show some photos of the radio but its nicer to have them uploaded here into one location then to have to go looking for them. Besides I have seen plenty of railroad radios in my lifetime, Im not asking for myself, im asking for others who may not have seen too many photos. Lets build an archive here on Radio Reference...

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
NX-700 (VHF) on the desk.

Not pictured is an NX-210 (VHF) and Cattron Accuspeed (220Mhz)

dapaq2

Trying to keep the original subject on topic, but I will make a quick reply to your question Radiofan.

The best advice to give you on that question would be to call the manufactuer (GE) and tell them that your interested in buying one and would like to know how much one is and if they have any in stock and see what they tell you.

12R Series II Radio

But I dont know why you would want to own one to begin with. Those radios sell new for over $1,000.

Doug

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Here is an ICRR Spectra Clean Cab (which was in a D&RGW SD40T-2 on NS of all things)...

icrr.jpg

And here is an old picture of my collection, still have the RR Spectra

thefamily.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasby

Nice collection Jake!!
Which one of those handhelds do you think gets the best (most sensitive) reception on the railroad band?

Here Is What i have on my desk, Not for sale. And jake i think you where going to sale my your spectra not to long ago last year.

DSC_0231.JPG
[/QUOTE]

1 More thing is we have skype call's on Railroad radio chat twice a week, If you get a skype and add me i can add anyone to the call, User name for me is radiofan3340. Also There is A (Burlington Northern Railroad) Clean Cab Spectra on ebay. Link ----> MOTOROLA RAILROAD SPECTRA, VHF | eBay . I would not buy it because it does it dose not do Narrow Band , or digital. No spectra will Do it i say if you have a Motorola Spectra you should sell it now on ebay and get money for a new on that dose do Narrow band and digital.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Nice collection Jake!!
Which one of those handhelds do you think gets the best (most sensitive) reception on the railroad band?

Honestly, none of them and there are only two VHF radios in the picture. I have a small fleet of Sabers and Astro Sabers on VHF now that I use for railroad listening occasionally, but I use a UHF portable with my VRS 99% of the time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.