Scanner Antenna better reception

Navyboy45

I have a BCD536HP I live in Snyder County have the stock antenna I pick up Northumberland County fine but not the police any suggestions on a better antenna or something to make better reception thanks

Respectfully

James Shemory

KB2GOM

Many possibilities, but this is simple, inexpensive, and easy to put up. And is very likely to work better than the back-of-set telescopic whip that came with the radio. Two versions of the antenna are shown here... scroll down to see the simpler version made from hookup or "bell" wire -
Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki
Yes, indeed. At Popnokick's suggestion, I built the wire version of the off-center-fed dipole, hung it vertically in the corner of my radio room, and it far out-performs the stock antenna that came with my SDS200. I use this scanner/antenna combo every work day as part of the Commuter Assistance Net -- A Practical Application of Ham Radio – the Commuter Assistance Network

I highly recommend the off-center-fed dipole, and it is cheap and easy to build.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I pick up Northumberland County fine but not the police
@Navyboy45 some clarification please? You're saying you pick up other talkgroups on Northumberland County's trunked system except for the police? If yes then the antenna may not be the issue. Be sure Law Dispatch (enabled by default unless you turned it off) Law Talk & Law Tac (not enabled by default) service types are turned on otherwise the scanner will omit the talkgroups ID'd as such in the RRDB ("tag" column). Talkgroups ID'ed as mode "DE" are fully encrypted & therefore cannot be picked up

Last edited: