SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Firmware 1.03.05M/1.01.05S Open Beta5

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF9L

Premium Subscriber
Issue #1: Unit ID.
Using a 436 as a 'control' (basis for comparison), now, on this new beta, every time a Unit ID name shows/alerts on the 436, it shows/alerts on the 100. For at least me anyway, the issue is fixed. I'll keep watching this, but I am not seeing the delay/missing issue some of you reported above.

Issue #2: Squelch tail
I mostly monitor a Moto Type II smartzone system, which is analog. I am not hearing the annoying squelch tail some of you are reporting.
Seattle-King County Public Safety (KCERS) Trunking System, Seattle, Washington - Scanner Frequencies

I have no idea why I am not seeing the issues y'all are having. If it is germane: Delay/holds are all 0.

That's because the issue is on conventional analog channels with ctcss/dcs tones.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
OK, so I guess it's my turn. I'm having issues with the scanner hanging on conventional, analog NFM frequencies (different ones, at different times), without opening the squelch. It sits on them, with the NOISE number running up and down rapidly, five or six digits, but no audio. I've tried turning the squelch up, and on some frequencies, the scanner will resume scanning, but on others, it just sits and spins. Turning the squelch down to 1 or 0 will result in the squelch opening, and hearing noise.

Badboy536

Squelch tail Anomaly seems to be only happening on analog frequencies that are standalone channels not a trunked system.

fmulder13

I'm still having issues with missed short replies and late entries, and I think I see why. At the end of every transmission, I'll watch the scanner flip right to the control channel, but then it flips right back to the voice channel used for the previous transmission, hangs on it for a second, and then either passes audio (both on-time and late into a transmission), or flips back to the control channel. It will do this regardless of whether there's another transmission following the initial one. When silence follows a transmission, it still flips back to the voice channel used for the previous transmission, hangs there for 3 seconds or so, and then goes back to the control channel. Squelch is set at 2, stock antenna is on, ERROR stays mostly at 0, but occasionally shows 5, 10, or 20. Noice vacillates between 821-17928, staying mostly in the 4-digit range.

Started the log file on this site:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=10819

Finished the log file on this site:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=5818

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e8u6p7vkd0ntps1/AADb7SR23CRcRwsL-NGElQvJa?dl=0

Rolled back the firmware to 1.03.03. 03 seems to hang on the voice channel for a second or so before returning to the CC, which I hadn't noticed before, but it does not do the above.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
This may sound weird : I am using firm wear 1.03.01 and sub version 1.01.05

The p25 system I am listening to has the correct Nac code in the database.

However when I put the nac code into search mode the radio seems to pick up more traffic.
I get transmissions with voice that show no nac code on radio.
Could it be there is a delay in radio locking on to nac code ?
System in question is this.

New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS)

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7021

West orange site.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Also no reception or poor reception on FMB

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

N6ML

I'm still having issues with missed short replies and late entries, and I think I see why. At the end of every transmission, I'll watch the scanner flip right to the control channel, but then it flips right back to the voice channel used for the previous transmission, hangs on it for a second, and then either passes audio (both on-time and late into a transmission), or flips back to the control channel. It will do this regardless of whether there's another transmission following the initial one. When silence follows a transmission, it still flips back to the voice channel used for the previous transmission, hangs there for 3 seconds or so, and then goes back to the control channel. Squelch is set at 2, stock antenna is on, ERROR stays mostly at 0, but occasionally shows 5, 10, or 20. Noice vacillates between 821-17928, staying mostly in the 4-digit range.

Same here, incl. the jump to the control channel then back to the voice channel, at the end of a transmission.

My D-ERROR is sometimes showing numbers that are not multiples of 5 - e.g. 11, 12, 19

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
While further testing will be done and is needed by me I can confirm that there is a fluttering almost picket fencing noise at the end of analog UHF transmissions I still have to test this on other bands conventional analog channels but this problem does exist. I am testing trunking right now and will post my findings along with any bugs found and a there debug logs if I find anything that sticks out.

Once again thank you to UPMan and the Uniden team of Engineers for your continued support and efforts to make this best radio it can be.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
While further testing will be done and is needed by me I can confirm that there is a fluttering almost picket fencing noise at the end of analog UHF transmissions I still have to test this on other bands conventional analog channels but this problem does exist. I am testing trunking right now and will post my findings along with any bugs found and a there debug logs if I find anything that sticks out.

Once again thank you to UPMan and the Uniden team of Engineers for your continued support and efforts to make this best radio it can be.

It is on VHF as well including air

Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

SCPD

QRT
Seeing that noisy stutter at the end.of FM UHF analog signals with the SDS100 Firmware 1.03.05M/1.01.05S Open Beta5.
By the way the AM Aircraft no longer works properly because it stops in several places (118-137 MHz) without a real signal.present, Verified with a know working AM Aircraft receiver.
Therefore reverting back to versions 1.02.5B.bin M with 1.01.05.firm S

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
I just loaded the new FW. AM aircraft is fine. I just tested with a Harris RF5800 on 123.45. I initially thought UHF conventional was fine but I too hear the stutter at the end.

Watching a troublesome 800 MHz simulcast system I ran across a chase with sparse traffic but regularly spaced channel busy tones. It was a good test to see what the radio does. Each tone caused it to jump from the control channel to the assigned traffic frequency and immediately back to the control when the tones ceased. When voice was present nothing was cut off at the first of the transmissions. The system is weak, running around -110 to -115 dBm. I get some drop outs from simulcast RF cancellation but not many. I just reloaded the FW just to be sure I am on the one referenced here and it's the same. I then compared it to an APX4000R and each transmission tracks equally.

Last edited:

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Actually UHF and VHF reception seem worse with this version

Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Actually UHF and VHF reception seem worse with this version

Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

I would agree. This latest beta affects my reception in VHF (150's) and UHF (450-470). Back to the latest Public release which so far seems to be best.

Upman, I'm wondering about gain level. On my SDR using RTL-SDR, I normally need my gain set at 49 to get good reception and decode of weaker signals. What is the gain level set to on the SDS? Is it possible that some users gain is too high and others gain is too low? Would it be possible for us to set our own gain level in a future firmware?

Just a thought.

Thanks.

KC2JS

Feed Provider
I too noticed a decrease in reception. I live in a valley so most of what I listen to would be considered "fringe" systems. I was receiving them fine prior to the update, nothing after. I rolled back and now working great. Mostly UHF systems.

Ubbe

Noice vacillates between 821-17928, staying mostly in the 4-digit range

If you see values above 1000 the receive quality are compromised and if it goes beyond 10,000 it is more or less deaf and cannot decode anything. Uniden could do a noise gate function in firmware that blocks the squelch detect if the noise level goes above 5000, that would solve some of the users problems.

/Ubbe

eaf1956

Feed Provider
This may sound weird : I am using firm wear 1.03.01 and sub version 1.01.05

The p25 system I am listening to has the correct Nac code in the database.

However when I put the nac code into search mode the radio seems to pick up more traffic.
I get transmissions with voice that show no nac code on radio.
Could it be there is a delay in radio locking on to nac code ?
System in question is this.

New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS)

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7021

West orange site.

or the database could be inaccurate, so submit the correct one.

troymail

Silent Key

Under normal circumstances, I would expect this behavior all of the time.

With a specific NAC programmed and enforced in the processing, the radio must receive the system well and properly decode the NAC to match on each and every transmission. If it doesn't match (different or missed), the radio won't stop or unmute. In this mode, like many other things, the NAC is acting as a filter that must be matched.

In search mode, the radio should not care if a NAC or valid NAC is even found and you should hear the transmission regardless (excepting other things Uniden does to suppress/hide transmissions - i.e. encryption, poor decode, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.