SDS100 Prerelease Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmacs

Premium Subscriber
True SDR?

So - does that mean this radio is a true SDR?

In other words, does the demodulation happen in the digits? so the radio can do both NFM and CQPSK? and not like the "old" radios that only really did FM? and faked decoding CQPSK?

So far - it sounds VERY promising from the audio...

Thanks,

Bill

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I've seen Motorola radios have trouble. That said, I've not yet seen the SDS100 have any issues.

Awesome. If that's the case, then well done Paul and team. I'm honestly not extremely excited about the design but I don't know what I would have done differently, either.

And props to you on the hyped release - it worked!

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
So are our BCDx36HPs now officially abandonware?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I couldn't figure out how many different trunking formats we now support (and/or might support in the future).
* Motorola P16
* APCO P25 Phase I
* APCO P25 Phase II
* APCO P25 One-Frequency Trunking
* EDACS Narrow
* EDACS Wide
* LTR

Ok, that is without upgrades, now add:
* MOTOTRBO Connect +
* MOTOTRBO Capacity +
* DMR Tier III
* Hytera XPT
* DMR One-Frequency Trunking
* NXDN 4800
* NXDN 9600

That is 14 and I still feel like I missed counting something.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Was Ohio Marc's in the video? I could have sworn it was

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

jasonhouk

Was Ohio Marc's in the video? I could have sworn it was

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
In the previous thread it was determined to be MARCS:IP audio in the first teaser video. Unknow if it was LSM or not.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
To everyone who says it's too expensive - you'll still buy it.

Nature finds a way...

Nope, I think I'm done. I already spent $20 on an SDR that does the same a few years ago. What sticks in my craw, however, is the investment into the x36 scanners that are apparently being abandoned. Not going through that again at double the price.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
So are our BCDx36HPs now officially abandonware?

I love my BCD436HP. Even with the lack of NXDN, it is clearly the best scanner I've ever owned thus far (and I've had base/mobile versions of all of the digital scanners from the past couple of generations / manufacturers).

Nobody wants to think that something might be abandoned, especially if there was any chance that some outstanding issue on it could be fixed or NXDN could be added. But for me personally, the 436 is close enough to perfection for me -- and Uniden fixed various issues for free with the repair campaign. I give them brownie points for the repair campaign. It wouldn't bother me if Uniden didn't release any more firmware updates for the 436/536 as long as they were spending all of that time tweaking the SDS100.

Disclaimer: For the little NXDN in the area, I can easily use DSDPlus to monitor it, or my TRX-1 -- and I don't have any LSM to monitor locally at the moment. I realize a ton of people do have LSM to deal with (but you are never going to see that fixed in any scanner on the market up to now because the hardware simply doesn't support it anyway).

mike

PS: NXDN on the 436/536 would be nice though

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Hoorrraaaayyyyy!!!

If it does P25 simulcast I don't care how much it costs. I'm buying one.

Yay! If it can handle my local LSM system in the federal trunked frequency range (406-410 MHz), I'm buying one, too!

How Paul managed to pull this off from a hospital bed is beyond me. If it's true that "laughter is the best medicine," these last few days of wild speculation may have done him more good than some of his many medical procedures.

Thanks, Paul! This should be very welcome news to a growing number of LSM-plagued scanner enthusiasts.

-Johnnie

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Since I knew there would be some doubters, I prepared this as a rebuttal.

SDS100_not-all-wet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.