SDS100 with poor sound quality - fixable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
After listening to the calls and speaking to the agents in question, the discrepancy here seems to be a training issue. The two agents he spoke to sit next to each other and were referring to eachother regarding the issue.
He had asked some leading questions and the first agent said that they may have heard of the issue, but ultimately recommended the unit should be sent in for repair. He responded by saying that he would not send the item in unless she said it was a known issue. She still did not say it was a known issue.
The second agent was asked the same questions and went to the first agent for help. They advised similarly but due to a misunderstanding, the agent responded to the affirmative.
I would like to apologize for the confusion here because of this. This is not a known issue, but we are going to bring his unit in for testing and are looking at potential causes of his issue and will let you know if there are any special solutions to this issue.

budevans

Bass or Treble what's your preference?

Uniden claims there is " no problem" even though many are having the problem.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I agree the audio for analog has more Treble than previous Uniden scanners. But over all, I like the SDS100 audio.

The 436 initially had way to much bass for my tastes. But I seemed to get used to it. Or maybe Uniden made some adjustments with the firmware.

I think what everyone is looking for is a basic Tone control. Like they used to have on radio's in the good old days.

budevans

If the analog signals were good the treble wouldn't bother me as much.. but the weak analog signal combined with severe treble is producing hiss and unreadable signals.

Ever since the FCC cut the bandwidth in half, analog has had a nasty hiss with lower audio levels making things worse. The days of full quieting analog is long gone.

Fortunately for me most of North East Ohio has moved to digital.

If you have other scanners that have better analog reception, by all means send the SDS100 in for repair. I have seen just a couple of posts where users sent the SDS100 in and repair replaced q1 & q2 transistors with good results.

Good Luck.

Ubbe

The 536 had good audio on analog but too little treble on digital signals. As digital has no background hiss you can have a high level of treble without it getting anoying, but analog need to have a more flat audio response or even reduced treble. The SDS100 seems to have both digital and analog modified to a high degree of treble that are not so suitable to listen to analog signals.

I wish Uniden could make bass and treble levels user adjustable for both analog and digital and also the RF gain adjustments for VHF-UHF in the SDS100, at least in a debug mode, as they did with the audio AGC settings for BCT15 before it became user selectable.

/Ubbe

SCPD

QRT
Refund just accepted.. Thank you amazon. sending back in as this unit has the same vhf and uhf issues everyone else complains about... maybe if we all request refunds due to lack of MANUFACTURER WARRANTY Uniden will finally step up and fix something.. countless people have been banned on this site for the mention of vhf and uhf issues Uniden aMERICA ignored multiple requests in the firmware beta sections and Uniden Tech Support forum to address this issue.. Want to make an impact with any company refunds.. take the 15% loss if enough people do it uniden will either fix problem or go broke on scanner research and developement.. Bet I get banned for my opinion. But there are federal LEMON LAWS that prevent any company from not warranting or repairing defective problems whether paul or anyone at UNIDEN admits publicly that they exist....

See below for information on this law.
https://www.carlemon.com/magnuson-moss-warranty-act-federal-lemon-law.html

How Does the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the Federal Lemon Law, Protect Consumers
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the federal lemon law, regulates warranties on consumer products that do not perform as expected after purchase. The federal lemon applies to implied warranties, written (or express) warranties and service contracts. The statute is intended to protect consumers from deceptive warranty practices, ensuring that warranties when provided by a seller are more easily understood by the buyer and enforceable should a breach of warranty occur. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is often referred to as the federal lemon law though each state has its own law regarding defective consumer products including vehicles.

If you keep complaining you will get ignored by uniden.. So dont complain TAKE ACTION....

Otherwise figure out your PROGRAMMING...

Last edited:

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
The 536 had good audio on analog but too little treble on digital signals. As digital has no background hiss you can have a high level of treble without it getting anoying, but analog need to have a more flat audio response or even reduced treble. The SDS100 seems to have both digital and analog modified to a high degree of treble that are not so suitable to listen to analog signals.

I wish Uniden could make bass and treble levels user adjustable for both analog and digital and also the RF gain adjustments for VHF-UHF in the SDS100, at least in a debug mode, as they did with the audio AGC settings for BCT15 before it became user selectable.

/Ubbe

+1
Totally agree! Hope they’ll do something about this.

SCPD

QRT
sometimes I wonder whether the full gain potential is used by uniden of 49db gain or if they limit the tuners gain... It would be nice as the new dongles have 49db gain and makes a big difference between setting the gain at 29db or 49db.. 49db on those dongles pull in Vhf and UHF really greatly.. Same frequencies on 29db are full quiet... I too would like to see selectable band gains or everyone sets thier own gains and then the filter for agc be adjustable from say 100-300 like with sdr sharp which reduces the hiss sound on analog

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
I received the Federal Express shipping label. How long is this return authorization good for?

They are usually good for 2-3 weeks and we try to get them for 3 weeks. It should say on your pre-paid label.

Status
Not open for further replies.