SSN over the air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahoekid77

Premium Subscriber
Depends a lot on what state you reside. I did see the part in the wiki article:

"The Court accepted the Nevada supreme court's interpretation of the Nevada statute that a detained person could satisfy the Nevada law by simply stating his name. The Court did not rule on whether particular identification cards could be required, though it did mention one state's law requiring “credible and reliable” identification had been struck down for vagueness."

JoeyC

I see nothing wrong with SSNs going out over the air (even in-the-clear) as part of the identification process for police. If the SSNs were going out over the broadcast media stations meant for the general public, then that would be an entirely different story! Fact of the matter is, that the police airwaves are for police business and any others that may intercept are not the intended recipients of the information and therefore the responsibility is theirs - to keep the information private.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
It wouldn't be such an issue except that in a significant portion of these comms, name, address, etc., is being read over the air in the clear, not just the SSN. All a potential identity thief needs. They aren't really concerned with the fact that they are committing a crime in order to commit a crime...

I see nothing wrong with SSNs going out over the air (even in-the-clear) as part of the identification process for police. If the SSNs were going out over the broadcast media stations meant for the general public, then that would be an entirely different story! Fact of the matter is, that the police airwaves are for police business and any others that may intercept are not the intended recipients of the information and therefore the responsibility is theirs - to keep the information private.

k3cfc

Silent Key

Talk is cheap,takes money to buy whiskey. I want you to repeat the first sentence when your good credit goes in the crapper because of a cop.

K3CFC

JoeyC

It wouldn't be such an issue except that in a significant portion of these comms, name, address, etc., is being read over the air in the clear, not just the SSN. All a potential identity thief needs. They aren't really concerned with the fact that they are committing a crime in order to commit a crime...

A crook never does, do they?

Talk is cheap,takes money to buy whiskey. I want you to repeat the first sentence when your good credit goes in the crapper because of a cop.

K3CFC

You probably could never prove your identity was flushed because of the cop encounter. Unless of course you live in a bubble and are otherwise nonexistent in the world.

tahoekid77

Premium Subscriber
I think this post has run it's course.....

"These are not the droids you're looking for, move along".

</ENDTHREAD>

gariac

At one time this was common in Nevada. The police called it the "solch". Maybe someone who lived in Nevada back in the day could elaborate. I think at one time your DL was your social security number. I know in Nevada you had to give the DMV your social security number to get a license.

ecps92

SooSH [SOC] or [SSN] aka Social Security Number not SOLCH also it might be the Accents :p

At one time this was common in Nevada. The police called it the "solch". Maybe someone who lived in Nevada back in the day could elaborate. I think at one time your DL was your social security number. I know in Nevada you had to give the DMV your social security number to get a license.

PaulSuperman

SSN and history

You know I remember my first SS card said that is was not to be used for ID File:Social security card.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia And on the back it told you to contact the Dept. of Treasure, And the DOJ if some one tried to use it, Or used it for I.D. purposes. LVMPD (metro) ran this kind of stuff all the time on CH. 1 (info) back in the old (VHF) days as does NLVPD, and N.H.P. now. LVMPD (metro) still does as well we just can not hear it. And if you file a report (or have any contact with law enforcement) in Nevada I think you have to give them this info.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I've always heard it pronounced as "Sosh" or "Sosch". Basically, the first syllable and the beginning of the second syllable of social (so-shul or so-schul).

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
In my state you have to have SS# in order to get a DL...

In my state cops CAN detain you IF they cannot identify you, and take you "into custody" until you are positively identified...

If you're LEGIT you should be able to be cross referenced in the police computer...for example IF I forgot my license (which I never do) I could tell the cop my license number (which I've memorized) or "it's the same as my car license plate or vehicle registration"...

Criminals often give fake names / addesses to avoid being ID'd and taken to jail because of warrants, wants, or other reasons...

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Every LEA that I know of runs your SSN, DL/ID, and if your in a vehicle, POI over the air on a routine basis every time they pull you, or check you for ANY reason. As far as the SSC and its ILLEGAL usae as an form of ID.... Oh well, you can't open a bank account, get ID, get your BC to get ID to begin with, enroll in school, apply for much less get a job, and many other facets of life without USING it as ID! It is ONLY to be used for the EXPLICIT purpose of the Social Security Program. ***RANT portion- But then again when has any liberal social welfare/control system that was put in place by the US Government EVER worked right?- RANT over***

abbadabbado

SSN

any teenager with a brain can get your SSN an e mail account an read your E MAIL very easy remember nothing is private my neighbor showed me how easy it was to get my e mail account hacked all he needed was my name an address i dont do wireless internet just an opinion

SCPD

QRT
I've been in California for 31 years and I don't remember the last time I heard a SSN read over the air, perhaps never. When I was living in New Mexico the SSN was the DL number. I would bet that has changed.

Those who think that having someone access your social security number is not a big deal in all probability have not had identity theft visit them. My wife and I have experienced 4 instances of credit card and debit card fraud. On top of that we experienced a mini identity theft incident a few years ago. We began to get some interesting calls, one regarding student financial aid for a college in Wisconsin and another in relation to a pickup truck that was ordered in Sacramento. The college was calling to remind us that the due date for final aid paperwork was coming up. The administrator indicated the most important item on this paperwork was the SSN as everything else had been approved. The car dealership called to tell us that our special order pickup truck had been delivered and all they needed for the loan application was our SSN.

The SSN is the master key to a lot of our personal information. I've had a shredder for over 20 years. I shred everything with a name, address, email address, confirmations of internet purchases and account numbers no matter how insignificant they may be. I peel off all address and order labels from boxes I recycle. I peel off the labels of prescription medications. At home our SSN is not listed on our computers except those shown on electronic job applications, which are in an encrypted folder.Tax returns, job applications and other paperwork showing our SSNs is locked in a safe. Whenever a form indicates the SSN is optional I decline to provide it. In spite of this we still had these 2 close calls with ID theft.

I sure as heck don't want my SSN transmitted to everyone with a scanner. It should be illegal. Law enforcement, fire, SAR and EMS are careful not to transmit the names of injured people, but then transmit the SSN? This doesn't make sense to me.

tahoekid77

Premium Subscriber
I've been in California for 31 years and I don't remember the last time I heard a SSN read over the air, perhaps never. When I was living in New Mexico the SSN was the DL number. I would bet that has changed.

Those who think that having someone access your social security number is not a big deal in all probability have not had identity theft visit them. My wife and I have experienced 4 instances of credit card and debit card fraud. On top of that we experienced a mini identity theft incident a few years ago. We began to get some interesting calls, one regarding student financial aid for a college in Wisconsin and another in relation to a pickup truck that was ordered in Sacramento. The college was calling to remind us that the due date for final aid paperwork was coming up. The administrator indicated the most important item on this paperwork was the SSN as everything else had been approved. The car dealership called to tell us that our special order pickup truck had been delivered and all they needed for the loan application was our SSN.

The SSN is the master key to a lot of our personal information. I've had a shredder for over 20 years. I shred everything with a name, address, email address, confirmations of internet purchases and account numbers no matter how insignificant they may be. I peel off all address and order labels from boxes I recycle. I peel off the labels of prescription medications. At home our SSN is not listed on our computers except those shown on electronic job applications, which are in an encrypted folder.Tax returns, job applications and other paperwork showing our SSNs is locked in a safe. Whenever a form indicates the SSN is optional I decline to provide it. In spite of this we still had these 2 close calls with ID theft.

I sure as heck don't want my SSN transmitted to everyone with a scanner. It should be illegal. Law enforcement, fire, SAR and EMS are careful not to transmit the names of injured people, but then transmit the SSN? This doesn't make sense to me.

Exactly - and I concur, I have listened to CHP as well as other LE over the air in California, and I think only once - and that was way back in time (80's) have I heard SSN over the air in the state. Cops do not need SSN to do a match. If name and DOB works in California, it should work everywhere else.

I got my pilot license in the 80's, and the actual number of the license was SSN, and they changed that 15 years or so, I had mine re-issued with different number.

Keep that puppy under lock and key.

Status
Not open for further replies.