Starting 2007 Tahoe Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Bear, thanks for the Holiday wishes. I just got up to Atlanta for the holidays. The new antenna setup works great. I started picking up Fulton County 40 miles out. My entire trip from Florida to Atlanta the entire setup worked like a champ.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well I just finished securing all the loose wires and tighten everything down. The project only took me two days. If I ever want to restore the vehicle back to factory specs it will only take a few minutes. Nothing that was done was permeant or drilled. Another nice thing about this configuration is I'll simply swap out radios when the BCD436/536HP is released. I've already run my line for the Garmin GPS-18x.

I hope this install provided some help for those interested. I know I get a lot of ideas from others installs.

P.S. Still wish I could have drill the roof but keeping it in the garage is a must right now. That could change in a few years. :lol:

Just curious since I have a 2012 Silverado with the same setup console. I was wondering how you were able to get the stock center console insert out so you can install the Jotto Desk? I don't want to take the full center console out and have to remove the seats to get the middle plastic center piece out so I can drop the radio in

wise871

Database Admin
Just curious since I have a 2012 Silverado with the same setup console. I was wondering how you were able to get the stock center console insert out so you can install the Jotto Desk? I don't want to take the full center console out and have to remove the seats to get the middle plastic center piece out so I can drop the radio in

The cup holder console just pops out. It's held in with 4 clips. Start from the rear and work your way forward. The instructions are on Jotto's sight.

pepsima1

Banned
Thanks Dan: Love the setup. My truck has a stock OEM antenna where your antenna placement is. I guess the newer trucks do not have the windshield antenna anymore. I am going to find some connectors so I can tap into the stock antenna to have a low profile look.

Also the main Jotto page where I looked for the parts were going to be expensive so I went to your site that you purchased the items it was way cheaper. I will post pictures when I am done. I have been wanting to find a very professional setup and this setup is the right one for me too. Love the cup holders, its a must for sure.

wise871

Database Admin
Thanks Dan: Love the setup. My truck has a stock OEM antenna where your antenna placement is. I guess the newer trucks do not have the windshield antenna anymore. I am going to find some connectors so I can tap into the stock antenna to have a low profile look.

Also the main Jotto page where I looked for the parts were going to be expensive so I went to your site that you purchased the items it was way cheaper. I will post pictures when I am done. I have been wanting to find a very professional setup and this setup is the right one for me too. Love the cup holders, its a must for sure.

pepsima1
I'm glad my setup was able to help you out. One of the reason GM Trucks, Avalanche, etc have the OEM antenna is due to lack of a rear window. Tahoes, Yukons have the FM antenna embedded in the right rear passenger windows by the third row seats.

You cant go wrong ordering from SWPS. There prices are the best and shipping is fast directly from Jotto.

Cant wait to see you install.

pepsima1

Banned
Just bought the jotto desk today. Prices from SWPS.com are the lowest you will find.

1 - 425-6112 - Jotto Desk Tahoe 07+ Insert- (9"" FP) - $180.10

1 - 425-3704 - Jotto Desk Dual Cup Holder - $34.94

1 - 425-6297 - Jotto Desk BCT15 - BCD 996T - $24.86

1 - 425-6051 - Jotto Desk 2"" - Blank - $9.41

Also too I was looking high and low to figure out how to tap into the stock OEM antenna for the truck and was able to find a "Car Antenna Cable/Adapter/BNC Car Antenna Connector". I will also have to find a "T" connector to tap into the main stereo antenna line. But this is the cable that will connect directly to the scanner radio

This is a great place to find any kind of connectors that you will need for anything. I was able to get this shipment from China in 3 to 4 days.

http://www.rfstreet.com/

Attachments

• bnc.PNG
    bnc.PNG
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,071
Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
Just bought the jotto desk today. Prices from SWPS.com are the lowest you will find.

1 - 425-6112 - Jotto Desk Tahoe 07+ Insert- (9"" FP) - $180.10

1 - 425-3704 - Jotto Desk Dual Cup Holder - $34.94

1 - 425-6297 - Jotto Desk BCT15 - BCD 996T - $24.86

1 - 425-6051 - Jotto Desk 2"" - Blank - $9.41

FYI
You will have to cut off some of the 425-6297 - Jotto Desk BCT15 bracket because there is not enough depth in the console of for the Tahoe 07+. Other than that congrats.

wise871

Database Admin
The last of my install is complete. I installed a Uniden BC7 up against the firewall. There was a bracket there to mount the speaker. I went with the BC7 because it gave me the best audio and it was small in size. I tried a ESP15 and ESP 20 but I didn't like the base voice sound or how it handled Digital Audio.

I wired up the Garmin GPS-18x and added a 12vdc plug that came with a switch in the center console glove box. Seeing I will only use the GPS when heading out of town this setup works best. In the local area I will run my favorites.

Now I'm ready for the BCD536HP. It will be a simple swap out when it arrives. I plan on running the WiFi. I'll most likely install it under the center console all the way forward toward the firewall. Then I can use my iPhone as a remote head that is mounted with the Proclip on the AC vent.

Attachments

• IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,110
  • IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 977
  • IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,002

bear780ks

Hey wise I agree on the 536 I can't wait either But she'll setting with my other big DOG scanner my 996 :D ruff ruff.. Bear

wise871

Database Admin
Hey wise I agree on the 536 I can't wait either But she'll setting with my other big DOG scanner my 996 :D ruff ruff.. Bear

If I had the room I would decently mount both, :D
One of the reason why I have the handheld in the car. When I get the 436 I can charge it from my right 12vdc outlet.

pepsima1

Banned
The last of my install is complete. I installed a Uniden BC7 up against the firewall. There was a bracket there to mount the speaker. I went with the BC7 because it gave me the best audio and it was small in size. I tried a ESP15 and ESP 20 but I didn't like the base voice sound or how it handled Digital Audio.

I wired up the Garmin GPS-18x and added a 12vdc plug that came with a switch in the center console glove box. Seeing I will only use the GPS when heading out of town this setup works best. In the local area I will run my favorites.

Now I'm ready for the BCD536HP. It will be a simple swap out when it arrives. I plan on running the WiFi. I'll most likely install it under the center console all the way forward toward the firewall. Then I can use my iPhone as a remote head that is mounted with the Proclip on the AC vent.

Wow!!!! Thanks for all of the great ideas. I was also going to ask you about the audio for the speaker. But it looks like you answered my question. I am going to look for a Uniden BC7 for a speaker and look for a good place to mount it. Also, I was thinking about using the line out of my gre psr 600 to the aux in on my in dash radio and there is so much feedback which sounds horrible. It has something to do with the radio scanner not my in dash OEM GPS radio.

Last edited:

bear780ks

Dan I totally understand these vehicle's don't give to much room and you have to be so careful were you put them on account of the Air Bags I have my 396 in a stiff oval pouch just under the Duck next to the Radio I sometimes put it in one of my Koozies and then i put in one of the Cup holders in the Center console, but with the Towers around here the KSICS i can listen to Quite allot just with a short stub antenna. A few years ago that would happen.. but she does a heck a good job for a little Radio.. I pretty proud of her and my 996:D Bear

Last edited:

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
2007 Tahoe Project

Looks great Dan! Your installs always look professional.

wrc1045A

Premium Subscriber
Well I just finished securing all the loose wires and tighten everything down. The project only took me two days. If I ever want to restore the vehicle back to factory specs it will only take a few minutes. Nothing that was done was permeant or drilled. Another nice thing about this configuration is I'll simply swap out radios when the BCD436/536HP is released. I've already run my line for the Garmin GPS-18x.

I hope this install provided some help for those interested. I know I get a lot of ideas from others installs.

P.S. Still wish I could have drill the roof but keeping it in the garage is a must right now. That could change in a few years. :lol:

Looks great!
I never understood cup holders right next to electronics. How many times have you spilt your drink :)

wise871

Database Admin
Looks great!
I never understood cup holders right next to electronics. How many times have you spilt your drink :)

Knock on wood I have never spilt any drinks on my radios. I have since change my configuration slightly. In the original photo I had the cup holder next too the scanner so could I use my 12vdc outlets. I have since replaced the 2" blank faceplate with 2ea 1" faceplates. One is located between the scanner and the cup holder and the other is far forward to allow me to still use my 12vdc outlets. If I had the cup holder all the way forward, drinks would block access to everything.

wrc1045A

Premium Subscriber
Knock on wood I have never spilt any drinks on my radios. I have since change my configuration slightly. In the original photo I had the cup holder next too the scanner so could I use my 12vdc outlets. I have since replaced the 2" blank faceplate with 2ea 1" faceplates. One is located between the scanner and the cup holder and the other is far forward to allow me to still use my 12vdc outlets. If I had the cup holder all the way forward, drinks would block access to everything.

Yeah you just have to be careful :) a wet radio is an unhappy radio

wise871

Database Admin
Here is my last update. I received my 1" faceplates today. I like this configuration the best.

Attachments

• IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,818

wrc1045A

Premium Subscriber
Nice, I wish the radios where shorter so they could fit flush :)

But it's very nice. I see you placed the speakers under the dash.
I am going to put in a system that will mute down the audio and play the scanner traffic and resume when the scanner traffic goes off. It is programmable and also can work with your mobiel phone at the same time. Pretty cool stuff !

wise871

Database Admin
Nice, I wish the radios where shorter so they could fit flush :)

Sitting flush would be nice but sitting the way it is actually makes operating the controls nice with my arm on the armrest. I can easily manipulate the controls with my fingers while rested.

Status
Not open for further replies.