State vs. Municipal Radio ID Allocation For Portables and Mobiles on CLRMN

adamfancher

So in the several years I've been helping maintain the Radio ID database I've grown used to recognizing ID's ending in 4xxx-6xxx as portables for state agencies and 1xxx-3xxx for municipalities.

It would seem as though Groton has broken tradition on this and as a result I am tearing my hair out, and I'm wondering if I have this to look forward to for other agencies...

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
So in the several years I've been helping maintain the Radio ID database I've grown used to recognizing ID's ending in 4xxx-6xxx as portables for state agencies and 1xxx-3xxx for municipalities.

It would seem as though Groton has broken tradition on this and as a result I am tearing my hair out, and I'm wondering if I have this to look forward to for other agencies...
My portable has a 6

adamfancher

Not your doing of course...Something for me to be aware of going forward, as Groton doesn't seem to be the only municipality that deviated from the typical format

adamfancher

Good for you man! That's awesome. I actually saved mine when I cut it a few years ago, never got around to donating it...
143122413_10221901762307717_1577026164115579524_n.jpg

So I guess I'll add some exceptions to the intro on the list, already had to put a few in there for things like 4xxxx should be Avon but is really CT Transit, etc.

cg

Premium Subscriber
CTTransit may be renumbered before Avon is up and running. I believe 189xxxx is the range they all will ultimately use.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
CTTransit may be renumbered before Avon is up and running. I believe 189xxxx is the range they all will ultimately use.
thats A LOT of buses to go reprogram though, very time consuming.
also historically, ID's have not been reused, so even if they did move ct transit out of the 40000 range, those ID's die anyway.

SVFD440

Feed Provider

The format is MMMSUUU

MMM = Municipality
S = Type of Unit
UUU = Unit Number

0016123 would be a portable in Andover.

Groton is 059SUUU

adamfancher

The format is MMMSUUU

MMM = Municipality
S = Type of Unit
UUU = Unit Number

0016123 would be a portable in Andover.

Groton is 059SUUU
That part of the radio ID is well understood, and already posted in the information at the top of the listing.

The part in question is "S", or radio type.
In most cases, state agencies use 1-3 for mobiles and 4-6 for portables, while generally municipalities do the reverse.

However, it has been discovered that some municipalities follow the state standard, meaning, for instance, 594xxx is not a portable as one might expect, but rather a mobile radio as Groton chose to adhere to the state format.

Information section on the listing has been updated appropriately.

SVFD440

Feed Provider
That part of the radio ID is well understood, and already posted in the information at the top of the listing.

The part in question is "S", or radio type.
In most cases, state agencies use 1-3 for mobiles and 4-6 for portables, while generally municipalities do the reverse.

However, it has been discovered that some municipalities follow the state standard, meaning, for instance, 594xxx is not a portable as one might expect, but rather a mobile radio as Groton chose to adhere to the state format.

Information section on the listing has been updated appropriately.
There was a document that was posted on the state website that had it backwards. It has been since removed.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I suppose Tax Town Avon (004) will not have so many radios that they cannot work around the CTTransit IDs, less than 200 subscribers if I recall. Still, nice if they would get them squared away. Probably only take someone a year or so :)

adamfancher

I wonder if in some cases certain agencies go to the 3-digit prefixes because they "run out" of ID's in the allocated range. For example, New Britain police seem to have now expanded to 198xxxx, Enfield seems to be using 735xxxx, etc.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if in some cases certain agencies go to the 3-digit prefixes because they "run out" of ID's in the allocated range. For example, New Britain police seem to have now expanded to 198xxxx, Enfield seems to be using 735xxxx, etc.
if I had to guess, 198 is probably a state agency. Maybe CCSU PD or similar.