Kenwood: TM-V71A Programming

KC5TOO

I'm having trouble programming my Kenwood TM-V71A. I have reset the radio back to its factory settings. I can enter VHF frequences in group 0-99. When I enter UHF frequency into group 101-199 and push the key the mike the Home Screen comes on for a second and goes off and the frequency is not stored. I'm not sure what's wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

bharvey2

It's been a while since I've programmed one of my V71As and I almost alwys do it via a computer but one thing comes to mind: As you probably know there are two bands A and B (more accurately I'd say its left and right) The A band can accept low VHF like, air while the B band cannot. Does this apply to your programming task?

KC5TOO

Thank you for the reply. I finally figured it out. There was a data setting set wrong in the menu. Made the correction and all UHF frequencies programmed correctly in the assigned group.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The one downside to the V71a that I absolutely hated. The lack of real memory zones, and that the group size was fixed.

I still liked the TM-V71a better than the FT8800 though.

bharvey2

The one downside to the V71a that I absolutely hated. The lack of real memory zones, and that the group size was fixed.

I still liked the TM-V71a better than the FT8800 though.

That was a shortcoming and a nuisance if you use it for travelling to any degree. I use one of mine as a base station so the channel pool never changes. I have another in my truck which doesn't usually stray too far from home. When I travel I lean toward commercial radios which do a better job of keeping all of my programmed channels sorted. Overall though, I think it's one of the better purpose built 2M/70cm ham radios.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I sold my V71a to a friend. I really like digital modes, DMR and P25 specifically. I run almost all commercial gear now. The cha. Channel capacities at, or approaching 1000 mean that I don't have to change programming very often, even for my travels now.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Overall though, I think it's one of the better purpose built 2M/70cm ham radios.
I agree. I specifically sold my FT8800 to buy the TM-V71a for a couple reasons:

1: Cross band repeater. The TM-V71/D710 have the best cross band repeat of all the hamster offerings.

2: Control head layout.

3: back lit buttons.

Now that I've been using only LMR mobiles for close to 2 years, I don't think I could ever go back to ham mobiles. I'd rather have separate VHF and UHF mobiles(although a NX5700/5800 dual deck setup would be nice, there is no way I'll be able to afford it.

bharvey2

While I prefer the commercial radios for day to day use, the ham radios like the V71A still have their place in certain circumstances. In my daily driver, I have a part 90 radio but at home, I often run both a Part 90 and a V71A side by side. The V71A allows changes "on the fly" while commercial radio usually don't. Even still, my go to VHF/UHF ham radios have been Kenwood and they are all but out of that market at least with regard to mobiles. Sign of the times I guess.