Troop C reception

Steve162

Premium Subscriber
Ever since the resassignment of certain sites to simulcast sites I have noticed spotty reception on Troop C.

It's noticeable on I-295 from approximately Exit 45 down past 43. I live in Hainesport where the NJSP provides coverage and I was chatting with a Trooper last week who said that he, too, has noticed spots where the radio will lose the control channel briefly and where some transmissions are not readable.

I'm using a G4 and an SDS 100 and getting the same issue on both.

When I look at the coverage maps for the Berlin and Bordentown simulcast sites there does seem to be a "hole" around this area.

Anyone have any knowledge of this and if there are plans to fix it?

bunangst

Are you looking at the coverage maps on the database or the maps provided by the state (from Motorola)? The state provides two maps, one for 95% Mobile coverage and one for 95% Portable coverage. The portable coverage is not complete statewide, including the area you mentioned. As far as the database goes, those circles are approximations for those using GPS enabled scanners.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Ever since the resassignment of certain sites to simulcast sites I have noticed spotty reception on Troop C.

It's noticeable on I-295 from approximately Exit 45 down past 43. I live in Hainesport where the NJSP provides coverage and I was chatting with a Trooper last week who said that he, too, has noticed spots where the radio will lose the control channel briefly and where some transmissions are not readable.

I'm using a G4 and an SDS 100 and getting the same issue on both.

When I look at the coverage maps for the Berlin and Bordentown simulcast sites there does seem to be a "hole" around this area.

Anyone have any knowledge of this and if there are plans to fix it?
Variables in play here. Without definitive parameters it is difficult to reply concisely.
I will take a wild guess based upon your description.

I assume you are inside the car on 295 and on a stock antenna. This is not how the best signal is received. You are inside a tin can that is shielded from the RF outside.
Plenty of Google on that topic.

Day in day out Site 55 Bordentown has a robust signal on the G5. I am 35 miles to the N NW. I am not in a car. In the house though, on a stock antenna.

So 2 miles along 295 is that right? How many cell towers in the vicinity? Cellular desense perhaps. Plenty on RR search on this topic.

Question appears to be a mix of apples and oranges.

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I travel this area frequently. Even though the SDS100 is the best consumer grade device to use for this system it has it's short comings as you have discovered. Cell tower de-sense is a problem for the SDS scanner. If you travel a bit further south near exit 36 you'll see what I mean. Pretty much anywhere I drive and see a large cell tower site the SDS scanner had problems with this system unless I'm very close in on a system site. I used an external 700/800 MHz antenna with the SDS when mobile. I'm uncertain of the performance of the G series pagers, never played with one, but I would suspect they would be a bit better than the SDS scanner since its not a consumer type device.

Same external antenna and a Harris XG-75Pe solves my problems for now.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I live on the Pennsylvania side of the Delaware River and just listen to 10 Comm NJSP Marine dispatch and 1 Comm NJSP Helos.

I use the Bordentown simulcast site although the Trenton site works too. I use a rooftop and in the car a Larson tri-band. It definitely gets a little wonky as I drive around using an SDS 100 mounted in the car. The sds200 at home in the Levittown Bristol area.

The big firmware update that improved reception has definitely made a difference.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I have an SDS100 and a G5. The G5 is by far better on the NJICS. But where I work our parking lot is under a huge cell tower and the signal will drop out. I also live about a block from another cell tower and I have a tough time getting a solid signal on many systems.

TylerD38

I live by the bay in Forked River and just in the last few days I’ve been having issues receiving at my house. Wondered what was going on with it. Anyone know if this is an issue that will be fixed? Or dead zones are just something that I will have to deal with now?

Steve162

Premium Subscriber
I guess my main observation was that it seemed that the area I mentioned was fine prior to the realignment of sites.

To expand further it isn't "2 miles along 295." Over the winter we had an incident and two State Troopers- again, they are our local police here in the teeming metropolis of Hainesport- were in my home with their portables frequently emitting the no-data signa. They said that it's a crapshoot even outside. Maps be damned, no matter who publishes them, I would not feel good about that if I were a law enforcement officer.

I know damn well that the car is a "tin can shielded from RF from the outside," but thanks for that observation.

I did consider de-sense but only from any towers that are shared by the NJICS with others, if they even exist.

I guess it's just the way it is and the way it's going to be. Thanks to all who supplied useful thoughts.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I have always used wide norm filter on Bordentown site, it does make a difference. I would try both wide norm or wide invert and see if that helps. Don't use global but just apply it to the Berlin site, I only listen to the Bordentown site and have all others locked out.

Technically with the leaves filling in the trees that can affect reception but for some reason starting today, my reception of 10 and 1 comm that has been good, got even better, like something changed, RSSI and error rate perfect??

As I say it was good before but it's even better after today, who knows?