TRX-1 gets errors trying to format SD card

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
I have a 4 year old TRX-1 that started having issues a few months back. First it started by not picking up a local trunked system. I tried everything I could do to get reception back on this site and even used a wild card to piclk up anything. I could see the scanner was picking up a full signal on the control channels but I get no activity at all. Every once in a while it would stop on the wild card but I got no audio. On other trunked systems I have no problem. I tried reprogramming it with no results. I let it go for a while like this and yesterday I tried connecting it to my laptop to just wipe out the SD card and just do a fresh reprogram. When I tried to format the SD card I got an error, so I went out and got a new 32Gb San Disk SD card and tried this morning to format the new SD card and I'm getting the same error, where it cannot format the SD card. Any ideas? This is the only this that shows that it's failing.

1697818488909.png

tvengr

Well Known Member
Did you try formatting the card in your computer? You could have dirty contacts on the card connector in the scanner. Have you checked to see if the trunking system not working has been updated? If scanner is not being detected, try holding in the MENU button while you plug in the cable.

Ubbe

I have to temporary disable my antivirus software to be able to do that kind of risky operation like a formatting. I get a similar response message from Windows about formatting failing without giving me any clue that it is another program preventing access, I have to figure it out myself.

/Ubbe

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
Did you try formatting the card in your computer? You could have dirty contacts on the card connector in the scanner. Have you checked to see if the trunking system not working has been updated? If scanner is not being detected, try holding in the MENU button while you plug in the cable.
The scanner is being detected. It starts trying to format the SD card and sits there for about 5 minutes and then it will error out.

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
I have to temporary disable my antivirus software to be able to do that kind of risky operation like a formatting. I get a similar response message from Windows about formatting failing without giving me any clue that it is another program preventing access, I have to figure it out myself.

/Ubbe
I’ve tried 2 different computers and one has just basic windows with no antivirus SW. and I get the same error on both pc’s.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Go to the Scanner/SD Card tab of EZ-Scan and click on Prepare Scanner Memory/SD Card for use. Try to format again after doing that.

Swipesy

I have a 4 year old TRX-1 that started having issues a few months back. First it started by not picking up a local trunked system. I tried everything I could do to get reception back on this site and even used a wild card to piclk up anything. I could see the scanner was picking up a full signal on the control channels but I get no activity at all. Every once in a while it would stop on the wild card but I got no audio. On other trunked systems I have no problem. I tried reprogramming it with no results. I let it go for a while like this and yesterday I tried connecting it to my laptop to just wipe out the SD card and just do a fresh reprogram. When I tried to format the SD card I got an error, so I went out and got a new 32Gb San Disk SD card and tried this morning to format the new SD card and I'm getting the same error, where it cannot format the SD card. Any ideas? This is the only this that shows that it's failing.

View attachment 149941
A friend of mine had the same issue with his TRx-1. I took it from him and tried everything under the sun but it would not pick up local trunk system. Ran it side by side with my unit but his did not work. Occasionally it would receive conventional signals, weather on his unit but not trunked. Gave up and had him send to Whistler. They replaced the Logic Module and problem solved. Works perfectly after Whistler repair.

Ubbe

The scanner is being detected. It starts trying to format the SD card and sits there for about 5 minutes and then it will error out.
Oh, you're trying to do it in the scanner. Do yourself a favor and buy a $5 SD card USB interface and handle SD cards directly at the PC to rule out the USB and SD card interface in the scanner. The TRX-2 is a real trouble maker when it comes to handling SD cards but I haven't noticed that TRX-1 should have any such problems. If you format and program the SD card in the PC and it then works as it should in the scanner, it could be some sort of interface issues in the scanner, if you run into problems when trying to reprogram the scanner.

/Ubbe

tvengr

Well Known Member
Oh, you're trying to do it in the scanner. Do yourself a favor and buy a $5 SD card USB interface and handle SD cards directly at the PC to rule out the USB and SD card interface in the scanner.
Check if your computer has a built-in SD card reader. The micro SD cards will need to be plugged into an adapter to plug into the computer. Be aware that many of the adapters have a write protect switch. It is very small and often overlooked.

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
I was able to format it out of the scanner. But it is having serious issues when I try to programm it with E Scan once i put the SD card back in the scanner. I get all kinds of copy errors.

Ubbe

I was able to format it out of the scanner. But it is having serious issues when I try to programm it with E Scan once i put the SD card back in the scanner. I get all kinds of copy errors.
If you manage to program it with your config files out of the scanner then check if you have the correct USB drivers from Whistler before deeming the scanner defective. Each USB port on a PC have its own drivers so check it using another port.

/Ubbe

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Not all cards play well with the scanner. buy a replacement SANDISK CLASS 4.....4gb, 8gb or 16gb will be plenty of space. These card do work and are available on amazon and they are cheap. Get a card reader while your at it (less errors with one and much faster then the scanner and usb cord.. Use ezscan prepare disk, check off to format and to copy the library database. Use window to EJECT the drive (do not just remove it from the pc/device without this step as it can cause corruption). Place card in the scanner and power up. If it works, you fixed it, if not there is a problem with the scanner, send it in for repair.

Last edited:

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
Bump, Bump.... Recently I got some 16gb Verbatim brand cards from Amazon, since I have several SD card scanners and since my TRX-2 has recently has been having SD card corruption and has been having digital garble mixed in when receiving comms. I when formatting the Verbatim cards in EZ Scan it says it did it, but copying the system from EZ Scan to the card (in a card reader stick adapter) some of the files won't copy.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Bump, Bump.... Recently I got some 16gb Verbatim brand cards from Amazon, since I have several SD card scanners and since my TRX-2 has recently has been having SD card corruption and has been having digital garble mixed in when receiving comms. I when formatting the Verbatim cards in EZ Scan it says it did it, but copying the system from EZ Scan to the card (in a card reader stick adapter) some of the files won't copy.
Not all cards play well with these scanner. get SANDISK CLASS 4 cards 4gb, 8gb or 16gb (what ever is least expensive, smaller = faster load times). Get them from amazon.