TRX-1

ddjames61

I have seen the conversations around similar issues. I let my TRX-1 sit in a drawer for over a year, no batteries. I was not getting a lot of channel action out in the rural area south of Des Moines, IA. I decided to fire it up and try it again. I could see it scanning, could see signal, set squelch low, no sound there, hear nothing. Check volume, read the forum. Formatted the SD Card, Updated all the stuff with EasyScan. Same result. I can hear the weather channels just fine. I brought it into town knowing the signal would be better, to test if I was just too far away from any towers with the same results. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Using the standard antennae.

Attachments

• CDAT_2023-12-22_08-00.zip
    757 KB · Views: 7

Ubbe

Have you verified with another scanner that there are unencrypted non-simulcast systems to be received?

Do you have an external antenna high up at home that you use? Then set the scanner to a search range and to record and let it sit for a couple of days, then change frequency band and continue to search all possible ranges that can be in use. Then copy the recorded files over to your PC and install the Universal Scanner Audio Player and look thru the results and listen to any conversations taking place or control channel data decoded and then program only those to the scanner in a list and scan.

/Ubbe

ddjames61

Thanks Ubbe. I will test that with my old Uniden for out where I am.
I do not have an external antennae. That is why I brought it into town and let it run for an hour and can see the signal of when channel is seen, i get no voice or sound, not even a squelch. Hit the weather band and NOAA comes in nice. So the speaker and volume work.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. Please provide specific agencies you're having trouble bringing in so we can get eyes on the database & try and identify potential issues that may hinder your scanning experience

I could see it scanning, could see signal, set squelch low, no sound there, hear nothing.
I'll take a stab and say simulcast distortion but still would rather be armed with specific info to confirm or negate my assumption

ddjames61

Thank, before I set it down for a year, there were many changes being made, not a radio expert or even novice so I won't use the right words, basically moving from analog to digital. I could still hear many calls from police, rescue etc. in town. Fewer as I got farther away. So I tired of it out in the country and didn't want to put an antennae up. Thought I would try again. Now I get nothing even in town, perhaps everything has changed and I won't be able to listen.

UTE-GE

I too live south of Des Moines. Unfortunately, the TRX is out of its league now after the system updates. I have tried a few different time to tweak settings and it just can't work the simulcast. Mine is now a paper weight. SDS is the only way to go. But with that said, how long before more encryption is coming down the pipe? DSM PD is utilizing it on a few channels already.

ddjames61

UTE-GE, that is what I thought and what I was afraid of. Just add it to the pile of my other old scanner and use it for a weather radio when needed. I am South of Hartford, if you are familiar with the area

ddjames61

I too live south of Des Moines. Unfortunately, the TRX is out of its league now after the system updates. I have tried a few different time to tweak settings and it just can't work the simulcast. Mine is now a paper weight. SDS is the only way to go. But with that said, how long before more encryption is coming down the pipe? DSM PD is utilizing it on a few channels already.
So do you get traffic on your SDS and able to pick up DSM PD?

UTE-GE

So do you get traffic on your SDS and able to pick up DSM PD?

I'm south of you in Milo. Yes, I get DSM no problem along with Marion, Clark, Madison and so on. I have Warren Co Simulcast and Des Moines/WESTCOM Simulcast sites programmed in. The SDS is a very capable radio. I also have the GPS antenna for it when on the road.

Since so must is simulcast interop is interesting to listen to also.

ddjames61

Thank you kindly that is al good to know, appreciate your sharing that. Sounds like my Whistler is a brick and I am back to trusty Uniden. If you know Palmyra, I am south 1 mile