Tytera TYT TH 9800d quad band

KJ5CPT

I have a new TYT TH 9800D quad band radio and it works well in Simplex, but after many attempts of transmitting no one has heard or responded. I do hit the repeater but get no response. Since Simplex does work to and from my HT does that mean that the radio is in good working order, or can there be issues with just the repeater operations with the radio? I am using a dual band mag mount and have a 1.4 SWR in 2 Meter and 440.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Sounds like it's working just fine. Can you hear yourself on the HT when talking to a repeater? If so, then just find a repeater with activity and then transmit shortly after another conversation. Ask for a radio check.

KJ5CPT

Thank you for your message. When I transmit on the 9800D i do hear my self and the repeater tone on my HT when they are both on the same repeater frequency. So my rig is hitting the repeater, and it is transmitting my signal to my HT?

I have tried to key into an existing conversation right after they stopped talking with no success.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I have tried to key into an existing conversation right after they stopped talking with no success.
You might have RX tone squelch enabled. IF it's set incorrectly, you won't hear the repeater output.

While you may need TX tone squelch to access the repeater, program the channel with carrier squelch on receive so you'll hear everything on the channel.

Also, make sure your handheld is programmed to the repeater output frequency.

Depending on your particular setup, you might want to transmit on the lowest power setting and move the handheld to another room to avoid overloading the handheld's front end with your transmitted signal.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
but after many attempts of transmitting no one has heard or responded.

This sounds like most repeaters around me. Very little traffic and very often no reply.

Check for a local amateur radio club in your area. They likely have a website. They often have weekly nets that you should be able to check into and confirm your radio is working.

The rest of the time, finding a warm body on an amateur radio repeater can be challenging.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Also, make sure your handheld is programmed to the repeater output frequency.
Yeah this is what I started to think about.

For the mobile, make sure you have the repeater shift on. This shifts the transmit frequency up or down depending on the band. The mobile will Tx on one freq and receive on a second freq.

If you were transmitting just on the receive frequency then you'll still hear yourself on the HT.

KJ5CPT

When I transmit on my 9800 i only hear the repeater and when i speak i just hear heavy static on my HT, not my voice.

The RX tone on my HT is off. I will keep running through settings but think i have it right.
I will let you know when I figure it out.

Thank you for your time and advice.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
When I transmit on my 9800 i only hear the repeater and when i speak i just hear heavy static on my HT, not my voice.
Let's say you are trying to work a repeater on 146.700 MHz. You set your mobile radio to 146.700 MHz and set the repeater offset to -0.600 MHz and set the necessary tone. You transmit with the mobile radio, so it sends out a signal on 146.100 MHz. Meanwhile, your handheld is listening on 146.700 MHz. You hear nothing but noise from the handheld. The issue is that the signal from your mobile radio is overloading or desensitizing your handheld. You'll have to get some physical separation between the mobile and the handheld to not have de-sense problems.

KJ5CPT

I have ordered a second 9800D and will compare them. Also I am looking for a Quad band antenna to run the second radio as a base station.
It is kind of interesting to get educated on HAM and want to provide service during emergencies as well.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Also I am looking for a Quad band antenna to run the second radio as a base station.
Bear in mind that the TYT TH-9800D is an FM-only radio which covers the 10m band. Since you hold a Technician class license, you have no FM privileges on 10m. You'll need to upgrade to General to use that radio on 10m.

rescuecomm

I have one of those radios. I couldn't get a response on the 440 net when checking in. The antenna checked okay on the Bird. Turned out the microphone audio was very low. I bought a new microphone and it was good to go. Never heard if that was endemic to that model.

ladn

Premium Subscriber
have ordered a second 9800D and will compare them. Also I am looking for a Quad band antenna to run the second radio as a base station.
It is kind of interesting to get educated on HAM and want to provide service during emergencies as well.
Rather than go the single, quad band, base antenna route, you may have better results by adding a splitter, then a dual band 2M/440 antenna and a dual band 6M/10M antenna.

Depending on wire line distances, I'd run a single feedline from the radio (probably LMR 400) to near the antenna location, then split it to feed each antenna (with proper weatherproofing of all connectors, of course).

KJ5CPT

I was able to connect with some people about 40 miles south of me and was told I had a strong signal but the my voice was a bit weak. Maybe the mic is responsible for me as well. There is no mic adjustment in the menu, just Wide/Medium/Narrow. I am in my kitchen using a HYS dual band antenna with a Manet mount on a pie pan. Not bad for a 15 dollar antenna. I have read that the TYT 9800 has a signal splitter built in.

AK9R

Super Moderator
I have read that the TYT 9800 has a signal splitter built in.
Most dual-band, tri-band, or multi-band amateur radios have some sort of "diplexer" built in so that the radio only has one RF input/output port for connecting a feedline to your antenna.

The issue is that a quad-band antenna that covers 10m/6m/2m/70cm is not that common. ladn is suggesting that you use multiple antennas and use an RF device to combine them into the one port that your radio has. And, as mentioned before, until you upgrade your license, you can't transmit with that radio on 10m.

KJ5CPT

I was under the impression that there are frequencies on 10m that a tech can use. Something like 28.300 to 28.500. I’ll double check as breaking rules is not something I do.

Thank you for your message .

AK9R

Super Moderator

ladn

Premium Subscriber
I was able to connect with some people about 40 miles south of me and was told I had a strong signal but the my voice was a bit weak. Maybe the mic is responsible for me as well. There is no mic adjustment in the menu, just Wide/Medium/Narrow
I've set up my 9800 to use "medium" on the mic adjustment and set the voice compander to "on". I've had no complaints of weak audio. (TYT TH-9800 features and programming menu options)

1697829192777.png