UCA TG 18496, Event 3, Salt Lake County Activity on 436hp but not the TRX-1

aprilexe

Premium Subscriber
More of a technical question re the 436 vs TRX but posting on the Utah forum since you all are more likely to be familiar with the digital trunking systems used by the UCA.

The 436 and TRX both have the same UCA sites and talk groups loaded and all in all seem to be on par with each other except when TG 18496, Event 3, Interop, Salt Lake County comes up on the 436hp the TRX doesn’t read it at all. Double checked the TG is in fact in the TRX list. The 436 has the dmr, provoice and nxdn upgrades if that’s a factor but no indication on the 436 that any of that is being used.

I’d wonder if it’s a setting in the TRX I need to adjust but all other state and county TG’s read the same on both radios.

In any case it’s some interesting listening.

btw the TRX firmware is 5.9 if that’s a factor.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
You mention “siteS” are the same between the two units. Can you tell what site your actively monitoring at the time there is traffic? If you can, lock both of them to Site 3 and see if the problem persists. My thinking is that the TRX is sitting on a site that doesn’t carry Event 3.

aprilexe

Premium Subscriber
Thanks , I hadn’t thought of area sites not carrying the same talk groups. It’s the Grand County EOC and Bald Mesa sites with area and statewide talk groups loaded from the database. Away from the desk atm and there mainly seems to be daytime activity on the 18496 so I’ll watch the active sites close when I hear the TG on the 436 next.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, just a note of clarification... I said to lock onto Site 3 but that is for the SLCo area. It sounds like you figured out what I was trying to say anyway.

Hope that helps.

Premium Subscriber
I have my SDS 100 and TRX-1 programmed identically, and do not notice much difference at all in scanning.

Sentinel and EZ-Scan are very different from each other. Are you certain you have both programmed identically?

Like mentioned above, what site you're trying to receive may be the issue.

aprilexe

Premium Subscriber
As for the UCA I program them same with only the Grand County sites and area and state talk groups adding a wildcard to the trx and TG search to the 436.

As would be expected there was no traffic on the 18496 TG today to compare. :)

I suppose there are a variety of possible reasons why that traffic was being carried over here on the east side of the state yesterday.

N7YUO

This may be the solution. Here is how this same thing happens with the SDS100.
You will miss out on a lot of interesting comms if you fail to ENABLE the other service types.
EMS Tac, EMS Talk, Fire Tac, Fire Talk, Interop, Law Tac, Law Talk, Multi Tac, Multi Talk, Government,
and any other service types that you may desire.
Whether you program by Sentinel, ProScan, or keypad, you need to enable all desirable service types.
The SDS100 manual states that these service types are disabled by default, so you have to ENABLE them.
Look at the instructions for the TRX and see if they are similar

aprilexe

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, you do have to enable the services on the TRX as well.

No further activity on the Event 3 TG on the 436 so who knows.

Aside from that one TG both radios seem to follow UCA fairly similar.