SDS100/SDS200: Understanding User Edits - Reading / Writing Between PC and SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solidus

Premium Subscriber
I understand, thanks for the response. Consider my post a fantasy request for if the software is rewritten from the ground up someday.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I know it is an issue looking for a solution. I think that solution is do-able.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of good tips in here. As another new user, I appreciate it!

I must say, I expected Sentinel to be a bit smarter about this stuff. Like, if I add a particular system from the database as a favorite, and then the frequencies for that system change in a database update, I figured it would propagate those changes to the favorites list.

Short of that, it could at least do an audit to show you what has changed. Maybe a flag next to things that are out of date, or a color coding system, so I’d know that I need to replace them. Having to religiously monitor this site for changes is not the best. I’m sure I’ve missed some changes and have outdated entries as a result.
I understand, thanks for the response. Consider my post a fantasy request for if the software is rewritten from the ground up someday.
A flag that "something's changed' might be helpful if you've been busy on on other things, and 'missed' one or more changes to your systems of interest. While 'flagging' a change could be useful to some folks, I'd prefer that the software not actually change my programming. Like many other members, I edit text tags on systems, as well as conventional channels and trunked systems talkgroups for clarity (to me).

Like many other Premium subscribers, I have a "MyRR" home page listing the counties, trunked systems, as well as agencies (statewide agencies such as, in my case, the Tx Dept. of Public Safety). When I log into the site, those that have changed in the last 24 hours are flagged green, those with changes in the past 7 days are tagged with a yellowish shade. But even if you are not a Premium Subscriber, you can still monitor what's of interest to you.

At least once a week, log onto RadioReference.
Go to the Database page.
1634781602410.png
If your state is colorized, then something has changed since your last visit, so click on your state.

1634781676883.png
There, you can see the counties where something changed. Click on the county to see what was modified. As an illustration, I clicked on Tarrant County.

1634781807784.png

The "Last Updated" link in he upper right of the page shows the date. If you mouse over the link, you'll see the last ten recent updates, some of which may be earlier than the date you see on the main county's page. If you click on the link, you'll get a more extensive list of updates. Most of the time, the changes do not require editing of any of my program files. They're either for agencies & systems I don't monitor, or the change was minor, which does not require a change to a program file.

The Whistler database scanners have an option to check for updates in your systems, after you download the most recent database file. But that only looks for changes in systems & channels that you added to your programming file via the "library import" process,

Solidus

Premium Subscriber
Cool, thanks. I've been doing something generally along those lines, but I didn't think to hover over the date like that.

Personally, I'm kind of a casual, intermittent user, so for me it probably makes the most sense to just periodically remake my lists. They're not that involved, and then I know I have the freshest frequencies as long as I've done a database update.

I'm glad I piped up in here, it's a helpful place. You never know what you're getting into with a new community.

Status
Not open for further replies.