• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden bearcat 980 insane swr.

slowmover

Get it! Buy it now! Then tell us what you really think of it. Here is where I bought mine, its the latest version and they include the programming cable. AnyTone AT-5555N II 10 Meter Radio with AM/FM/SSB/PA/CTCSS/DCS 60W US Seller | eBay

Others of my online acquaintance impressed me with their enthusiasm. Base and mobile (truckers included). Yours was the cherry on top.

I’ll buy from Scott’s Radio (I’ve no computer) as he can set things appropriate to my use.

Anytone AT-5555N II | Scott's Radios

Last edited:

slowmover

Yes I have lots of hash/noise constantly. Worse on some days than others. Better radio would be in consideration.

There is metal up behind radio cubby but would be hars to get at with drill. Running cables is okay, but madr easier undoing screws around map lights. Paneling on pillars just pops off, run cable and stuff in along windshield. Feeding into the cubby is tricky but following the center where the curtain rails meet there is path into cubby.

Ha! Glad I ran into you, fella. I tried it the hard way years back and never again. (Tried going into console from higher up; major pinch points).

Now let’s see what sort of magician you really are you can fit up there what @prcguy claims is the bees knees for hash:

CMC-130-3K 1-30MHz

I figure on buying at least three for my uses.
Maybe in the FTL can route coax thru starboard overhead cabinet.

Last edited:

Dekgit

Ha! Glad I ran into you, fella. I tried it the hard way years back and never again. (Tried going into console from higher up; major pinch points).

Now let’s see what sort of magician you really are you can fit up there what @prcguy claims is the bees knees for hash:

CMC-130-3K 1-30MHz

I can likely make that fit in cubby, without cutting anything, heh.

Right under steering wheel there is blanks for air lines, firewall pass-through. I ran my cables through those and up pillars.

slowmover

Right under steering wheel there is blanks for air lines, firewall pass-through. I ran my cables through those and up pillars.

I used pass thru for door electrics this time.
Next truck (late this year) I’ll run them that way.

Co-phase with FME ends. Single harness. 18’ legs (stock photo; buy best quality such as from CLAYS or BOBS or BELLS).
463D66A2-FCD9-46F5-B093-DFC3FB55A40E.jpeg

Last edited:

slowmover

CDX951 on an FTL antenna setup

I haven’t done a forward tilt such as this on the adjustable PROCOMM mount. Had next to none last time. 15-20/degrees was what Clay had told me a couple of decades back not to exceed as a general rule.

OTOH, this antenna mount sells well. And I’ve seen other savvy ops make the same recommendation.

Most drivers seem to have 3’ & 4’.
But they’re at or near full tilt.

Had “zero” tilt on the last truck, a KW t680. But the antennas are about a foot away out on the mirror arms.

Pulling a van is different for radio than with a flatbed. Still, should’ve marked what @CDX951 was doing with his FTL mid-roof (I’m in a condo).

A Canadian driver — Craig-sez — runs a single 102” with a custom HD mount in the same location on a FTL condo. Looks like a jousting knight that antenna is out so far ahead (a link to his in the link above; see his other videos). He’s a persistent cuss in getting the most from his radio rig.

I need a new 18’ run of coax, so this’ll wait till I get some.

The SIRIO antenna stud and a different radio will follow.

Last edited:

Dekgit

I would say mine are tilted 20° forward. Otherwise they would be smacking the cab I'm sure. Especially with any major crosswind, the 7ft would reach into next lane it seemed. Dropped down to 6ft and they don't sway as much like you said, also is partly what lowered my swr, odd.

Current SWR of 1.3 on AM20 sitting backed into dock next to other truck in central MN. 9AM cst.

Last edited:

slowmover

4E1AFDF4-0EB2-4FF0-8D83-3147C225AF26.jpeg

Here’s the HIRSCHMANN Thin Film Antenna by which Freightliner cursed us with the banana beer of their affirmative-action “engineer” hires. (Above windshield).

Receive-only. “Maybe” a mile TX. Like wearing an N95. 45W TX gets nothing (on the rental car roof, a SIRIO 5000 was walking the dog 3-5/miles all day long over the same terrain and time-of-day from otherwise the same radio rig).

Grabbed a new 18’ WILSON FME-ended jumper from the local Loves yesterday inbound to the house. My routing is thru door electrics harness and across floor “baseboard” to passenger seat.

— Found the power harness to connect to the fuse panel mains I’d made five years ago (10-2 ANCOR).

Set aside the PALOMAR ENGINEERS FSB-31-1-1 Mix 31 Ferrite snap over I’d used in last two trucks to control noise over the extra-long DC power leads we get stuck with in big trucks.

Ferrite Core Products - Ferrite Core Products - Palomar Engineers®

Can’t hurt to try snap-over ferrites at each end of every cable or jumper. An experiment worth the small expense.

I don’t have to run the inverter to power the refrigerator. If you do, look at installing this winding Pos + Neg thru it.

DCCF-3 Toroid Ring

This worked to kill compressor noise on a portable refrigerator/freezer chest I used to carry along. Would totally blank TX/RX.

Am taking along both a single 6’ & 7’ Skipshooter when I leave. Dual antennas next time. The KL-203 90W is suited to a single antenna pretty well.

Most of the time spent at home on this will be with more RF Bonds. I’ll try to find existing bolts I can back out to slip some braid underneath.

What interference have you noted with the reefer unit running? I had an older ThermoKing on last job (dedicated; quiet enough I didn’t notice), this time it’s all Carrier units, D&H.

What interference have you noted with APU running? I’m thinking this can be a simple enough set of bonds chassis-to-frame.

Last edited:

prcguy

Ferrite products from Palomar are a bit more expensive than others. One of the cheapest places I've found is Pro Audio Engineering where the FSB31-1-1 one inch ID snap on is $19.50 from Palomar, its $15.25 from Pro Audio Engineering. The Palomar DCCF-3 is 39.95 from Palomar and the same item from Pro Audio is $26.25. Here is a link to Pro Audio Engineering. Fair-Rite 1.01″ ID Ferrite Snap-It Core - Pro Audio Engineering

View attachment 134693

Here’s the HIRSCHMANN Thin Film Antenna by which Freightliner cursed us with the banana beer of their affirmative-action “engineer” hires. (Above windshield).

Receive-only. “Maybe” a mile TX. Like wearing an N95. 45W TX gets nothing (on the rental car roof, a SIRIO 5000 was walking the dog 3-5/miles all day long over the same terrain and time-of-day from otherwise the same radio rig).

Grabbed a new 18’ WILSON FME-ended jumper from the local Loves yesterday inbound to the house. My routing is thru door electrics harness and across floor “baseboard” to passenger seat.

— Found the power harness to connect to the fuse panel mains I’d made five years ago (10-2 ANCOR).

Set aside the PALOMAR ENGINEERS FSB-31-1-1 Mix 31 Ferrite snap over I’d used in last two trucks to control noise over the extra-long DC power leads we get stuck with in big trucks.

Ferrite Core Products - Ferrite Core Products - Palomar Engineers®

Can’t hurt to try snap-over ferrites at each end of every cable or jumper. An experiment worth the small expense.

I don’t have to run the inverter to power the refrigerator. If you do, look at installing this winding Pos + Neg thru it.

DCCF-3 Toroid Ring

This worked to kill compressor noise on a portable refrigerator/freezer chest I used to carry along. Would totally blank TX/RX.

Am taking along both a single 6’ & 7’ Skipshooter when I leave. Dual antennas next time. The KL-203 90W is suited to a single antenna pretty well.

Most of the time spent at home on this will be with more RF Bonds. I’ll try to find existing bolts I can back out to slip some braid underneath.

What interference have you noted with the reefer unit running? I had an older ThermoKing on last job (dedicated; quiet enough I didn’t notice), this time it’s all Carrier units, D&H.

What interference have you noted with APU running? I’m thinking this can be a simple enough set of bonds chassis-to-frame.

slowmover

Ferrite products from Palomar are a bit more expensive than others. One of the cheapest places I've found is Pro Audio Engineering where the FSB31-1-1 one inch ID snap on is $19.50 from Palomar, its $15.25 from Pro Audio Engineering. The Palomar DCCF-3 is 39.95 from Palomar and the same item from Pro Audio is $26.25. Here is a link to Pro Audio Engineering. Fair-Rite 1.01″ ID Ferrite Snap-It Core - Pro Audio Engineering

I use them as service and questions answered has been great. The site also has a fair amount of tech advice.

Other sources are nice to have. Thx.

prcguy

I occasionally run into Bob who owns Palomar and I tell him I use his site for information but usually buy elsewhere. He doesn't seem to care. Years ago I showed him the top of the line common mode filter from MyAntennas CMC-130-3K and asked why he didn't have a product like that. Months later he did.

I use them as service and questions answered has been great. The site also has a fair amount of tech advice.

Other sources are nice to have. Thx.

slowmover

Adjusted antenna forward tilt on this ‘20 Freightliner Evo after running new coax jumper yesterday (took all 18’ to go across to passenger seat) now have under 1.5:1 SWR. (Hallelujah!)

Will need more RF Bonds I can tell

Now to run 12V-DC power and install slip-seater box on passenger seat.

slowmover

With test radio balanced on dash found an extra-low SWR for the 7’ Skipshooter given 1W or 40W. Adding filters one-by-one only improved things (thru CLRspkr).

3B1F9E94-8132-4199-BE0A-D6C967FC3557.jpeg

APU kicked on added no noise. Nor engine. Inverter, neither. This with cigar lighter power being used. Very pleased with these findings.

At 1500 Skip was overpowering. Now at 40” till dusk only the strongest gets thru to FTW (SoCal just now). But being a Sunday, no local comms to balance things out. That’ll come tomorrow.

I think this FTL is poised to be “the best” fleet tractor install yet. Damn sure is the easiest.

Last edited:

slowmover

7’ Skipshooter (Clear color) in HUSTLER QD atop PREDATOR stud on PROCOMM P4 mount.

RF Bond from mount bolt to windshield base.

PALOMAR Engineers Feedpoint filter.

This’ll get TLC before I hit the road (tighten and seal connections).

D68E5269-CDA6-4290-9B99-FA96A02335E0.jpeg

RF Bonds across drivers door hinges. (3/4” tinned-copper woven-braid crimped into tinned-copper lugs).

5FB0D821-F3D1-4035-9448-4C9C5A3592C9.jpeg

slowmover

442B01A1-0B16-4C56-A4C6-C07E8CE617CD.jpeg

Moved the 4005 West Mountain Radio RigRunner inside a third TAC-COM shell-half underneath the radio gear shell. (Not shown is another case RF Bond to upper shell ground point).

It’s said to provide “some” filtering. Threw in the Bandit filter as it was just sitting here. I really don’t expect much noise across the power cable, but, in the past have found that, yes, it matters in a big truck.

12VDC is to fuse panel feed main with ANCOR 10/2. NEG and RF case bonds (slip seater TAC COMM rig components) to a seat bolt on floor.

Room in this shell half once I re-arrange it to fit CMC Choke.

Been years since I used this in truck. Wholly different radio rig then.

9AAFEED1-AD6C-4E30-AA66-D61319D44867.jpeg

EA3143E7-DE4B-4335-847A-1CA6CDFF41B5.jpeg

306043EB-DC64-40FF-BF66-CE2848C18B37.jpeg
70FBD676-C1D5-450C-BA42-7A39F1A3522F.jpeg

Both the P-E and MORGAN 411cb BandPass filters have provided noise reduction in this and past truck set-ups.

Last edited:

slowmover

Sitting at a cold storage warehouse backed to a door to get loaded and am surrounded by “noise” of every description. Just off an Interstate.

Got temp power hooked up to fuse panel. Dialed-in antenna a little closer (below 1.5:1 across all 40). Had a good report from a radio check 1/2-mile distant.

18:55; a weekday.

Used AM-17 to dial RF Gain back to 1-db, and just enough gravy (Squelch) to cover it. Put it back on 19 to monitor. DSP speaker to 12:00 on volume and 10:00 on filtration.

Took the Hustler Quick Discinnect off.

I’ve got some night-driving to do, and happily it’ll put me thru OKC, a great city for CB activity.

Hoping I’m not so late as to miss a pair of base operators with excellent equipment I can’t get accurate insight to how I’m getting out.

My route puts me up the Great Plains most of the way, . . the land of large cars & Big Radios.

If I can find a shop or a helpful man with an antenna analyzer that’ll be the next phase of clarity,

“Clarity” being the word used to work with/around the Skip experienced these days. Adjust radio and try external filters.

19:27. A loud & clear radio check given to a man bobtail about 1.5-miles out. Encouraging.

Last edited:

slowmover

I’ll be ordering the CMC choke in a week or so. The Anytone Quad-5/V2 is farther out.

I’m just glad to have this time-consuming Slip Seater Rig installed and running. Built it taller to accommodate the choke (at 22” + jumpers it’ll stick out the back a ways.)

F33DAB6E-45FD-490D-8AFE-20E087A8C35C.jpeg

Any upgrades since last, @Dekgit? How’s the overall CB experience now versus when you started the thread?

I’m into Hour Five waiting for XYZ Corp (national; you’d know them) to get me loaded. Sure glad they’re not a regular for us.

Worked out this time in setting up truck better and getting the intended radio rig installed & working.

Last edited: