Uniden's 396T flawed backlighting mentality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper43

GTO_04 said:
I prefer the 396 LCD also, including the backlight. It is by far the easiest of the LCDs for me to read. I am not a big fan of amber backlights at all.

GTO_04

I think the major issue isn't really the color but how people mount the scanner. The way I have it it's easy to see while driving yet not in the way. The amber backlight bugs the heck out of me, so much so I have changed it on several scanners to blue.

V

AndersonMBK

The 396's display is my favorite. I may be a bit younger then most though, and that may make it easier to read. Just our of curiosity, have you adjusted the contrast setting? If you havn't tried that, it may help some.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I personally don't have a problem with the blue. Color is a personal preference.

What would really be nice is to have the display color selectable. I wonder how much that would jack up the price of a scanner?

kg9qm

AndersonMBK said:
The 396's display is my favorite. I may be a bit younger then most though, and that may make it easier to read. Just our of curiosity, have you adjusted the contrast setting? If you havn't tried that, it may help some.

Adjusted it multiple times. It's just the blue is such a dark blue and the display segments (they aren't black, but rather a still-darker blue) don't stand out as well as they could, particularly the smaller symbols.

FlashP

"Flawed"??? I'll buy "not your favorite." Sure, we'd all love to customize the operation to suit our personalities, but I don't want them putting the effort into multiple levels of menus for backlight at the expense of other features and scanning menu options.

As for the color, I'm happy with blue. I'm so trained to treat amber and red as problem indicators (see 14 CFR 25.1322) that I walk away from equipment that doesn't follow reasonable color standards.

Flash

kg9qm

Shame on me for suggesting improvements. Since when should Federal Code dictate consumer product operation for a scanner which is neither a warning, caution nor advisory indicator, let alone 'avionics gear' of any sort?

Blue is standard indicator for emergency vehicles lights, which must then be equally a source of confusion to the 'trained' eye.

Of all possible choices for display color, blue and red are the two worst insofar as the human eye's spectral reponse:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/color-perception.htm

When all is said and done, the ultimate goal of a display screen must be readability, not prettiness.

slicerwizard

kg9qm said:
Eh? And 'squelch' is..., what?
That would be the circuit that decides if the received RF signal is of sufficient strength, based on the current squelch control setting.

There's a circuit that changes state when there's audio vs when there's not.
That would be the audio amp enable line. It is controlled by the micro, which makes its decisions based on the squelch circuit's output, the PL/DPL decoder output, the current channel type (conventional / trunked voice channel / trunk control channel), etc.

So one state makes 'light on', the other makes 'light off'. A squelch by any other name...
A gross and inaccurate oversimplification. If you park the scanner on an active conventional channel that isn't sending the correct PL/DPL, the scanner's squelch is OPEN (which you can verify via Uniden's serial control protocol), while the audio amp remains muted and the backlight stays OFF.

kg9qm

slicerwizard said:
That would be the circuit that decides if the received RF signal is of sufficient strength, based on the current squelch control setting.

That would be the audio amp enable line. It is controlled by the micro, which makes its decisions based on the squelch circuit's output, the PL/DPL decoder output, the current channel type (conventional / trunked voice channel / trunk control channel), etc.

A gross and inaccurate oversimplification. If you park the scanner on an active conventional channel that isn't sending the correct PL/DPL, the scanner's squelch is OPEN (which you can verify via Uniden's serial control protocol), while the audio amp remains muted and the backlight stays OFF.

So what? This is a thread about backlight behavior and suggestions about what might make it better, not one about designing a radio. A 'gross and inaccurate oversimplification' is appropriate as there is only a 'squelch' control on the radio, not an 'audio amp control threshold' or an 'rf signal strength threshold.'

slicerwizard

kg9qm said:
A 'gross and inaccurate oversimplification' is appropriate as there is only a 'squelch' control on the radio, not an 'audio amp control threshold' or an 'rf signal strength threshold.'
Non sequitur. Your statement makes no sense.

All of this because you want "On while squelch open" instead of something like "On while unmuted"

kg9qm

slicerwizard said:
Non sequitur. Your statement makes no sense.

All of this because you want "On while squelch open" instead of something like "On while unmuted"

No I attempted to suggest 'backlight on when radio talkie' and 'backlight off when radio no talkie' and the rathole diggers got out their shovels and went to work because they were compelled to drone on about squelching and muting and completely steer away from the intended discussion for some peculiar reason, perhaps an effort to illustrate their superior intelligence and/or inferior social skills.

DonS

kg9qm said:
No I attempted to suggest 'backlight on when radio talkie' and 'backlight off when radio no talkie'
Unfortunately, your initial message in this thread said
'On while squelch open' ought to be a choice
when you apparently meant "on while audio unmuted". As has been pointed out, the two are entirely different things.

I suppose it's possible that people expected someone posting under the pseudonym of an Extra class licensee to know the difference and to phrase their post accordingly. Perhaps that's why the responses have taken such forms.

EDIT: spelling

Last edited:

Dubbin

Feed Provider
I never had a problem with the backlight on my 396 until I got a 330. The 330 is SOOOOO much easier to see then the blue 396.

DonS

While my post above may not indicate it...

I do agree with your (the OP's) premise... If the backlight is going to turn on when someone starts talking, it should stay on as long as that someone is talking. Having it turn off during the transmission seems somewhat strange.

EDIT: heh... maybe Uniden could take yet another clue from GRE.

kg9qm

DonS said:
Unfortunately, your initial message in this thread said

when you apparently meant "on while audio unmuted". As has been pointed out, the two are entirely different things.

I suppose it's possible that people expected someone posting under the pseudonym of an Extra class licensee to know the difference and to phrase their post accordingly. Perhaps that's why the responses have taken such forms.

EDIT: spelling

Guess I should have registered as 'novice', then.

It's seemingly impossible for some here here to bridge the gap from 'what was said' to 'what was meant' and discuss what was meant rather than smugly dwelling on a poorly chosen word. An 'I am smarter than you' attitude is rarely welcomed with open arms, while an 'allow me to find out what you mean' almost always will be by most people. That's a sentence that's probably worth re-reading a time or two.

As I can't judge anything by most of the pseudonyms floating around here, I will just assume I'm surrounded by a whole bunch of people who know everything about everything and learn to accept it.

Which should bring this going-nowhere discussion to a close.

DonS

kg9qm said:
It's seemingly impossible for some here here to bridge the gap from 'what was said' to 'what was meant'
In my opinion, that's a Very Good Thing. Too often, I see responses in these forums where people ignore the plain-English meanings of the posts to which they're responding, making their responses somewhat less-than-relevant to the topic.

When discussing certain types of topics (esp. technical and legal), the precise meanings of words are very important. I'm sure many people discussing contracts or post-implementation details of engineering would love to use a "what was meant" definition of the words they've written - as opposed to the real definition of those words. Sadly, though, words have meanings, and we should be held to the meanings of the words we use.

When I was a small child, I didn't appreciate the "grown-up's" occasional use of the phrase "do what I mean, not what I say" (i.e. when they misspoke while telling me what to do, I did what they said, and they were then unsatisifed with the results - only because they failed to articulate their desires). I, like most(?) engineers, really don't like the same situation when I'm told to implement one thing, I implement it, but am later told that my implementation, while satisfying (or even surpassing) the requirements I was given, doesn't actually do what was "meant".

EDIT: "Grown-up" example... I grew up in a single-income household, where Dad was a public school teacher. It should be clear that we were not financially well-off. We kids (there are 4 of us) would sometimes grab a quick snack by taking a soup spoon and getting about 1/4 cup of peanut butter out of its jar. Peanut butter was/is expensive. My Dad finally said "don't eat peanut butter from a spoon". Of course, he meant that we were only to use peanut butter on sandwiches, etc. But that's not what he said. Not long after that edict, my Dad caught me with a fork loaded up with peanut butter. He called me on it. I referred him to his prohibition on spoons. Being a relatively logical individual, Dad acknowledged that I hadn't violated his edict, and I was held blameless. He then issued a new rule, of course.

In summary, say what you mean and mean what you say. Don't say "blue" when you mean "green" or "cyan". Don't say "next Friday" on a Thursday when you mean Eight Days From Today ("next Friday" spoken on a Thursday is a synonym for "tomorrow"). In particular, don't say "squelch is open" in a radio forum when you mean "audio is not muted".

Last edited:

bwilborn

Dubbin said:
I never had a problem with the backlight on my 396 until I got a 330. The 330 is SOOOOO much easier to see then the blue 396.

Quoted for truth. I may swap the blue ones out for something else once my warranty is up on my 396. I was thinking white for the keypad, and green for the display.

-- B

kf4lhp

kg9qm said:
First it's blue. Pretty? Yes. Practical? No. A couple white LEDs would have been SOO much better. Switchable to red color would have been perhaps nice for anyone concerned with their night-vision. Blue just doesn't work for these old eyes of mine. The LCD segments don't show up as well with blue backlighting.

I like the blue personally. Matches the factory-stock LCD backlighting on the clock, odometer, and AM/FM radio in my VW Jetta.

slicerwizard

DonS said:
If the backlight is going to turn on when someone starts talking, it should stay on as long as that someone is talking. Having it turn off during the transmission seems somewhat strange.

EDIT: heh... maybe Uniden could take yet another clue from GRE.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is due to a patent some company is holding - it's just too obvious to not provide as an option. Same deal with Uniden's Close Call - you have to press a key to actually hear the captured signal, even though it makes no sense to require it.

Status
Not open for further replies.