• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

urgent help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rochele1

hi

i have purchased ST-804A from com-spec.com and i want to install on GM 300 motorola , the below link is the link of installation instruction but really i got confused what to do , i know for many of you this is basic question but for me is a huge confusion .

i really appreciate if someone learn me how to install it .

http://www.com-spec.com/selectone/appnotes/8213.pdf

ready to pay consulting fee , indicating where to connect cables of module on the gm300 also helps alot

Regards

Last edited:

michy

Premium Subscriber
It looks like you have to connect the ST-804A to different points on GM300 board. You'd probably need a schematic of the GM300 and find where those components are, etc.

For example...

I'd assume that "JUNC. R887 & VR804" is the junction between Resister R887 and potentiometer VR804... etc.

And perhaps "JUNC. Q652 & R849" would be the junction between transistor Q652 and resistor R849?

J8-7 maybe Jumper J8, pin 7? I'd be curious to see the schematic, and identify these components.

There are some smart people on here though that can verify.

rochele1

It looks like you have to connect the ST-804A to different points on GM300 board. You'd probably need a schematic of the GM300 and find where those components are, etc.

For example...

I'd assume that "JUNC. R887 & VR804" is the junction between Resister R887 and potentiometer VR804... etc.

And perhaps "JUNC. Q652 & R849" would be the junction between transistor Q652 and resistor R849?

J8-7 maybe Jumper J8, pin 7? I'd be curious to see the schematic, and identify these components.

There are some smart people on here though that can verify.

Thanks , but the problem is that when i see the map of board og gm300 , i don't know what's the meaning of "CUT TRACE BETWEEN J8-13 & VR804" because vr804 is above the board and j8 is bottom of the board and there's no direct connection between them .

if someone mark on the circuit map of GM 300 for me it would be very helpfull , there alot of tiny components here and i got confused ,i scare i connect cables of the module to the wrong part or point on the board

michy

Premium Subscriber
There's got to be a trace to VR804 from J8-13..

Can you call the comspec support and get them to clarify that trace cut?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 6.27.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 6.27.45 PM.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 694

llu727

VR804 in that circuit is being used as overvoltage protection. You will find similar circuits throughout that radio. Its there in casr you plug the wrong thing into the external connector
That would be the right place to cut the trace.. it allows the tone encoder to stay on long enough for reverse burst.

rochele1

There's got to be a trace to VR804 from J8-13..

Can you call the comspec support and get them to clarify that trace cut?

i called them they say their tech guys left the company 18 months ago and the only datasheet they have is the link i put here

rochele1

here is the map of the circuit , the problem is that VR804 is in the top of the board , but J8 is at the bottom , i don't know where to cut

Attachments

• gm300-service-manual-part1-a_Page_1.jpg
    gm300-service-manual-part1-a_Page_1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 617

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
hi

i have purchased ST-804A from com-spec.com and i want to install on GM 300 motorola , the below link is the link of installation instruction but really i got confused what to do , i know for many of you this is basic question but for me is a huge confusion .

i really appreciate if someone learn me how to install it .

http://www.com-spec.com/selectone/appnotes/8213.pdf

ready to pay consulting fee , indicating where to connect cables of module on the gm300 also helps alot

Regards
From what I read in this instruction manual for the encoder http://com-spec.com/selectone/manual/st-804a.pdf you should be able to make all connections via the 16 pin accessory connector without having to make delicate and risky connections to the circuit boards. You may have to do some programming changes if any of the programmable pins are used.

Check Batlabs.com for all kinds of detailed info on the GM300. repeater-builder.com also has lots of good stuff.

FWIW, very, very few add-ons require opening the case on Motorola radios with the 16 or 20 accessory connectors. Study the radio first, then the encoder.

rochele1

is this possible to guide me which pins i can use ? , the website you introduced has lots of information , and makes me more confused ,

rochele1

i have marked J8-13 and VR804 on the map of gm300 , but really it's not logical to one of them is in the above and the other in the bottom , how to cut the trace between them ?

Attachments

• gm300-service-manual-part1-a_Page_1.jpg
    gm300-service-manual-part1-a_Page_1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 514

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
To make the encoder work as intended, you CANNOT use the accessory connector exclusively. You will need to follow the instructions to tap into the correct logic circuits on the board.

Using the app note and the board x-ray, you'll need to carefully solder the wires to the points indicated. The only mod needed is to break the trace for PTT. The PTT switch in the mic is routed to the PTT input of the encoder and then from PTT output back down to the board. This allows the encoder to detect release of the mic button and let the PTT hang long enough to send the ANI out and then shut down PTT.

If you look at the top (component side) of the logic board, there is a trace that leaves J8-13, travels parallel to the pins, underneath the screw hole and then ends at a feedthrough where it transitions to a trace on the solder side of the board. I would break the trace right where it comes off of pin 13. It is small and delicate. If you are not comfortable doing this you can also cut the wire from the mic jack board on the other side of J-8. The yellow PTT input would then connect to the wire going to the mic jack. That'll do the same thing, just more ugly.

cabletech

And when all else fails, since you are so new to this type of work and as YOU said, "I AM SCARED"

find a local ham that may help guide you or take it to a radio shop and let them do it

Status
Not open for further replies.