VIPER P25 System Discussion 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Most large/statewide systems reuse NACs - I don't find that to be something that can be used reliably.

Ah - ok.... probably want to get more experience under your belt before submitting changes. You may want to take a look at Pro96Com also....

I have run both Pro96com and Unitrunker. Right now I prefer Unitrunker because it can work on different type systems and seems to produce more information. Maybe I should run them both when I am checking out a site.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
I've been using Pro96Com against systems in Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina for many years and I always submit updates if/when I find something has changed. This includes not only frequencies and talkgroup IDs but even WACN, SysID, RFSS, and/or Site IDs (these latter 4 values are really important for some devices like Unication pagers if you don't want to assign "wildcard" values for them). I have seen cases (usually for "new" systems) where the originally posted RFSS and site information had changed after it was first posted.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The only thing that should never challenge is SysID and WACN. If that is seen you have a whole new system. Zone or rfss and even site numbers change with growth etc

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

WG3K

Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA, Earth, Milky Way
856.4375 - this is not listed in RR.com and is not on the FCC web site (new?)
857.4375 - this is not listed in RR.com and is not on the FCC web site (new?)
858.4375 - this is not listed in RR.com and is not on the FCC web site (new?)
858.5125 - this is not listed in RR.com and is not on the FCC web site (new?)
859.4375 - this is not listed in RR.com and is not on the FCC web site (new?)

Additionally
858-5125 - this is in RR.com and the FCC web site but wasn't captured by Unitrunker
857.0375 - this is in RR.com and the FCC web site but wasn't captured by Unitrunker
852.1625 - this is in RR.com but not the FCC web site and wasn't captured by Unitrunker

At least some of these frequencies are part of the old UNC - Chapel Hill TRS (https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=wppa851). The State made a swap, allowed UNC users onto VIPER in exchange for the frequencies, a few years ago. Should probably add the UNC license to the Chapel Hill VIPER site.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
At least some of these frequencies are part of the old UNC - Chapel Hill TRS (https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=wppa851). The State made a swap, allowed UNC users onto VIPER in exchange for the frequencies, a few years ago. Should probably add the UNC license to the Chapel Hill VIPER site.

Thanks for that good info and explanation. I hope I can return to Chapel Hill today and run both Unitrunker and Pro96com. I will post the results.

One other question for Unitrunker users. I was trying to use Unitrunker to map out the Southpoint Mall LTR system. I must need to do something differently with Unitrunker on LTR systems because there isn't a control channel I could find and Unitrunker didn't capture any info. Looking for some guidance here. I likely need to change a option or parameter... thanks.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
One other question for Unitrunker users. I was trying to use Unitrunker to map out the Southpoint Mall LTR system. I must need to do something differently with Unitrunker on LTR systems because there isn't a control channel I could find and Unitrunker didn't capture any info. Looking for some guidance here. I likely need to change a option or parameter... thanks.

It may be that the Southpoint LTR system is no longer on the air. It has been a couple of years since I have been down that way and the license for the listed system has expired and is no longer valid. Doing a quick FCC search I could not find any updated licenses for Southpoint mall, it's parent company or under it's onetime FRN.
My job prevents me from spending as much time "frequency hunting" as I used to.
Hopefully one of these weekends I can spend more time on the southside of town and try to figure out what they are using.

Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Part 2 of my Unitrunker time in Chapel Hill.

I think I was monitoring the Viper Duke University site with is listed in rr.com as site 017. But, Unitrunker says it is site 001-007. The NAC is 1F0. Unitrunker lists the SID as 01FCh-0107. Which one is the error?

Duke is indeed Zone 1, Site 7 while Bullock is Zone 1, Site 17. How or when those sites were transposed I have no idea but I have corrected them in the database.

Strangely, the license (WNXJ712) is registered to Duke University, not to the NCSHP like the other Viper sites I have checked.

Nothing strange about the above. Duke has long held the license for those frequencies but uses them to operate on VIPER. Normally it is a trade off: The Public Safety agencies (Duke) get access to operate on VIPER and in return give up "ownership" of said frequencies to the State. In this case Duke worked out a deal where they maintain license holder status and still are part of VIPER.

Don't want to be a pest but I have been checking Viper sites as I can and these have the biggest differences.

We appreciate any updates or corrections to the database. My radio hobby time in the last year or so has been limited due to other obligations. We need all the help we can get to keep the database updated as VIPER continues to grow and update it's infrastructure.

Marshall KE4ZNR

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
You must use an tapped scanner for ltr and UniTrunker. Or run LTRLogger by Eric Cottrel.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
It may be that the Southpoint LTR system is no longer on the air. It has been a couple of years since I have been down that way and the license for the listed system has expired and is no longer valid. Doing a quick FCC search I could not find any updated licenses for Southpoint mall, it's parent company or under it's onetime FRN.
My job prevents me from spending as much time "frequency hunting" as I used to.
Hopefully one of these weekends I can spend more time on the southside of town and try to figure out what they are using.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Marshall, you are always a giant help and a source of good G2. Thank you. When at Southpoint, I was able to hear security on one of the channels listed. I just couldn't get Unitrunker to do its magic. I will keep trying. Unlike you, I am free from most time constraints and able to do a little sleuthing. Today I spend the day in Durham, Orange, and Alamance counties.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Was able to spend more time today in Durham, Orange and Alamance counties. As you suggested Troymail, I ran Pro96Com as well as Unitrunker. I was able to confirm the data I logged here earlier. So I will be submitting some updates to the DB.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
TG #15050 was active yesterday. I'm thinking it's Lexington PD but haven't heard enough for a positive ID yet.

randyK

I was running unitrunker on the Lexington site the other night & someone must have been checking out his new radio. His radio affiliated on tg 15011, 15012, 15015, 15050, 15056, 15057, 15058, & 15059. A few more to watch out for I guess.

REVREID

TG #15050 was active yesterday. I'm thinking it's Lexington PD but haven't heard enough for a positive ID yet.
i was listening to lexington police yesterday-it was announced that all primary traffic switch to viper.could someone make the change to the data base? thanks

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
i was listening to lexington police yesterday-it was announced that all primary traffic switch to viper.could someone make the change to the data base? thanks
Once a talkgroup has been verified then the RR database will be updated per RR policy.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

trumpetman

Database Admin
Was this for storm operations or a possible system failure or have they switched full time?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.