Volusia County New system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
Communications International upgraded all of DBPD's radios with phase 1 and p25 trunking features.

No word yet on if county will go live with p1 or p2. FWIW they upgraded the P7100's with phase 1 and those don't support phase 2.

radiomanNJ1

Phase 2 is no longer required on 700 systems and not on 800. In my area Rockland Co. NY has a 700 phase 2 system. It's gets more talk paths but costs more. Does anyone know of a Harris P25 phase 2 system that is up and working?
In Florida Apopka has a Motorola phase 2 all public safety is encrypted. Winter Park is a user on the system.

Phase 2 is no longer required on 700 systems and not on 800. In my area Rockland Co. NY has a 700 phase 2 system. It's gets more talk paths but costs more. Does anyone know of a Harris P25 phase 2 system that is up and working?
In Florida Apopka has a Motorola phase 2 all public safety is encrypted. Winter Park is a user on the system.
Yep, the FCC dropped the 6.25 kHz equivalency requirement. I know several consulting firms who passed up available 700 MHz resources and went through extraordinary means to find 800 or UHF frequencies where there was no such requirement. Hopefully this will get 700 deployment back on track. When it came out, it was intended to be a contiguous band partnered with 800 to provide capacity expansion where needed. Marketers made it into two separate bands.

A friend up in Rockland was telling me that the audio quality on the half-rate vocoder seems to be heavily compressed and is significantly different from phase 1. I haven't witnessed that myself, but I have talked to other people who say they had issues and have reverted to phase 1.

I don't think Volusia County has gone out to bid for a P25 system yet. Although the subscribers and some parts of the infrastructure might be capable, I don't think all of it is.

exportdawg

Winter Park in now on the Orange County P25 system and not on Apopka's system. They switched a few Months ago .

Last edited:

mk262

Premium Subscriber
Yep, the FCC dropped the 6.25 kHz equivalency requirement. I know several consulting firms who passed up available 700 MHz resources and went through extraordinary means to find 800 or UHF frequencies where there was no such requirement. Hopefully this will get 700 deployment back on track. When it came out, it was intended to be a contiguous band partnered with 800 to provide capacity expansion where needed. Marketers made it into two separate bands.

A friend up in Rockland was telling me that the audio quality on the half-rate vocoder seems to be heavily compressed and is significantly different from phase 1. I haven't witnessed that myself, but I have talked to other people who say they had issues and have reverted to phase 1.

I don't think Volusia County has gone out to bid for a P25 system yet. Although the subscribers and some parts of the infrastructure might be capable, I don't think all of it is.

The deal is already done. Just slow getting up on it. Check the county council notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.