VOX Recorder can't use without API

tbzep

Dazed and Confused
Premium Subscriber
I want to use VOX Recorder to save transmissions to my hard drive. I can't enable the program without entering the API key, System ID, etc. A friend of mine is already set up on Broadcastify, but the audio has a lot of dropouts. I'd like to save the transmissions on my drive if possible. Is there a workaround for the API key, etc.? From my searches, the author said it should work without it, but that's all I've seen.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
From my searches, the author said it should work without it, but that's all I've seen.
Not sure what searches you saw that said it could be used without the API, since VOX Recorder is an application specifically designed for the Broadcastify Calls platform. The recorded audio is sent to the Broadcastify Calls platform. The recordings are also saved to the hard drive if optioned.

tbzep

Dazed and Confused
Premium Subscriber
Not sure what searches you saw that said it could be used without the API,
Right here (post 7,604), from the author of the software.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I haven't worked on VOX Recorder in years so I'm very rusty in that area. It's open source so I think anyone could look at it and see if it can be improved. I would but just don't have the time now.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Right here (post 7,604), from the author of the software.
Where it says "I think" it should? That's not to say it will definitely. I've tried it and have never been able to get it to work that way.

Capture2.PNG

If you read the next two posts below that, someone asked for that feature and @ProScan said he didn't have time to modify it at that time.

Capture2.PNG

tbzep

Dazed and Confused
Premium Subscriber
I know and understand all of that, but it has been over a year. He also said it is open source so someone could have modified it by now. I was just asking if anyone had success getting it to work that way.

tbzep

Dazed and Confused
Premium Subscriber
I haven't worked on VOX Recorder in years so I'm very rusty in that area. It's open source so I think anyone could look at it and see if it can be improved. I would but just don't have the
Thanks. I can't code, so I will download Proscan and have a look at it.

a417

Are you trying to saved someone's stream locally to your hard drive, or are you catching the RF yourself and recording it? There are many ways to skin a cat.

tbzep

Dazed and Confused
Premium Subscriber
Are you trying to saved someone's stream locally to your hard drive, or are you catching the RF yourself and recording it? There are many ways to skin a cat.
I'm catching the RF myself. A friend of mine is set up on Broadcastify, but his transmission have drop outs as if someone is fooling with the volume knob. He says priority is turned off, so I need a more reliable source. We sometimes use the recordings at the station for after action reviews.

Proscan is working for me, so I guess I will end up using it. It also lets me use a wider range of my old scanners. Right now it's hooked up to a 780XLT, but it has too much squelch tail for my liking on one frequency that uses a tone (69.3) that it doesn't feature. I'll probably swap it out to my 996T and I may end up poking around to see if I can mod the 780XLT to get rid of some of the tail. I've not gotten around to trying it because I've got so many other old scanners like my 898T's and my modded 895T's that I generally run for day to day listening.

Edit: I just dug out a 785D that I forgot I had. I may set it up and see if it runs a little quieter.

a417

Ah.

I use a 780XLT to stream a regional channel onto my LAN, and one computer just does VOX recording of it. It works well, too bad that 69.3 fouls you up- a properly tuned 780XLT is phenominal.

Good luck!

Last edited: