• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX-4000 ham band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazybob

I have a data file that opens up 145MHz to 173MHz. I just cannot save it by the same name. I have checked it on a service monitor (HP 8924c) and it does a full 50-watts and PLL locks for RX. You don't need below 145 because that is ham SSB/CW/Digital.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I have a data file that opens up 145MHz to 173MHz. I just cannot save it by the same name. I have checked it on a service monitor (HP 8924c) and it does a full 50-watts and PLL locks for RX. You don't need below 145 because that is ham SSB/CW/Digital.

Please do not spread misinformation. there are FM repeater inputs below 145.000MHz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

krazybob

You know, you are correct and that wasn't my intent. It was not to spread "misinformation." Someone took a grumpy pill. I should have said that there are (3) repeater pairs below 145. Happy now that I am precise? Hell, I could have done someone a favor by offering up my hex edited data file. Guess you tossed that in the sewer.

Source: TASMA

subbandplan.jpg

subbandplan.jpg

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
You know, you are correct and that wasn't my intent. It was not to spread "misinformation." Someone took a grumpy pill. I should have said that there are (3) repeater pairs below 145. Happy now that I am precise? Hell, I could have done someone a favor by offering up my hex edited data file. Guess you tossed that in the sewer.

No grumpy pill here. Sorry if you took it that way. But regardless of what your intent was, what you typed wasmisinformation. I'm sorry if you feel that I was being grumpy, I was not.

Frequencies from 145.010-145.49(5 depending on band plan)can all be paired with a negative offset and used for either analog or digital modes, depending on what local coordination policies are.

For example locally 145.090- is used by my local club for a DStar repeater.

The fact that you do not want to share is on you and your hurt feelings.

Actually you are being kinda childish to not share because you have hurt feeling for being called out spreading bad information.

What ever no ****s given by me either way.

Last edited:

krazybob

APRS is not a frequency that a VX-4000 could use. You were asking about using a VX-4000 for ham communications. With a minor discrepancy I stated that FM communications don't go below 144. I was slightly mistaken only to get blasted as I did about spreading misinformation.The VX-4000 doesn't do DSTAR so a moot point. As I said below 144 is digital as in PACTOR and the like. That includes APRS that the VX-4000 doesn't do. It is a commercial radio.

Maybe you chose the wrong choice of words. You could have easily corrected me by reminding me of the very small number of frequencies just under 145. You chose another route and now you wish to make me the bad guy for pointing out your poor attitude. My God, lighten up. BTW, it goes down to 144 but you lose the top end. A simple misspoken statement does not deserve this kind of treatment.

noun
noun: misinformation
false or inaccurate information, especially that which is deliberately intended to deceive.

I didn't DELIBERATELY do anything. I WAS trying to be helpful. Another word for disinformation is propaganda. Hardly a fitting choice of words in your indictment of me.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
APRS is not a frequency that a VX-4000 could use. You were asking about using a VX-4000 for ham communications. With a minor discrepancy I stated that FM communications don't go below 144. I was slightly mistaken only to get blasted as I did about spreading misinformation.The VX-4000 doesn't do DSTAR so a moot point. As I said below 144 is digital as in PACTOR and the like. That includes APRS that the VX-4000 doesn't do. It is a commercial radio.

Maybe you chose the wrong choice of words. You could have easily corrected me by reminding me of the very small number of frequencies just under 145. You chose another route and now you wish to make me the bad guy for pointing out your poor attitude. My God, lighten up. BTW, it goes down to 144 but you lose the top end. A simple misspoken statement does not deserve this kind of treatment.

I didn't DELIBERATELY do anything. I WAS trying to be helpful. Another word for disinformation is propaganda. Hardly a fitting choice of words in your indictment of me.

A VX-4000/5000/6000 is completely capable of doing APRS…any FM radio can do packet, regardless of it being a commercial radio or amateur radio. It may not be able to do it properly on 144.39…but it can do it on other channels. I know many companies that ran APRS protocols on their radios because they had a mix of radio equipment so to use one manufacturer's proprietary tracking protocol made no sense.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I was slightly mistaken only to get blasted as I did about spreading misinformation.

You were not 'blasted' you gave bad information, it was corrected and you were asked to not spread bad info. If you feel you were blasted, you need to grow a thicker skin.

The VX-4000 doesn't do DSTAR so a moot point. As I said below 144 is digital as in PACTOR and the like. That includes APRS that the VX-4000 doesn't do. It is a commercial radio.

Interfaced to an APRS modem, like an OT3m, ANY FM rig will do just fine transmitting 1200bps AFSK data. We have lots of commercial radios, albeit mostly Motorola GM-300 and CDM-750's, in APRS service as digipeaters. Simple 1200bps AFSK over FM.

Maybe you chose the wrong choice of words. You could have easily corrected me by reminding me of the very small number of frequencies just under 145.

Actually there are a bunch of frequencies below 145MHz that are used for FM.

You chose another route and now you wish to make me the bad guy for pointing out your poor attitude.

You chose to take what I said as me being a dick, but rather it was simply me saying you were passing bad info. I guess I should be psychic and have known you were going to be butt hurt about it. Sorry if I made you cry dude... Usually people are quite a bit thicker skinned than you appear to be.

My God, lighten up.

You decided to act like a child that got scolded and decided to not share your secret-squirrel-hex-edited-do-hicky-thing-a-ma-bob because someone hurt your only feeling...

BTW, it goes down to 144 but you lose the top end.

Usually what happens with gear that does not span the whole band... Gain on one end and lose on the other.

A simple misspoken statement

Same could be said for me, but I'm not the one that is acting like a child over it... I said 'please do not spread misinformation' if that hurt your feeling I'm sorry dude...

does not deserve this kind of treatment.

Then cowboy up. You were not mistreated. You acted like a child by saying you were not going to share because you got called out for giving bad information. You got what you give.

Go back and reread what I wrote. I said MISinformation, not DISinformation...

It was not an indictment of you, it was correcting what you wrote. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

krazybob

Frankly, you are acting like a petulant school yard bully that has to keep hammering away at someone. The anonymity of the Internet. Say anything that you'd like with impunity. I feel sorry for you. I really do. Misinformation? You could have just reminded a fellow ham that there are a couple of frequencies below 145. APRS off frequency? Nope. That's misuse. Commercial entities using APRS on ham frequencies? That's unlawful. The momentary forgetting of the handful of FM below 145? That's human that you have pressed to the Nth degree. You're right. Man up! Let it go. I'll be praying for you. The chip on your shoulder must be getting heavy. Namaste.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Frankly, you are acting like a petulant school yard bully that has to keep hammering away at someone. The anonymity of the Internet. Say anything that you'd like with impunity. I feel sorry for you. I really do. Misinformation? You could have just reminded a fellow ham that there are a couple of frequencies below 145. APRS off frequency? Nope. That's misuse. Commercial entities using APRS on ham frequencies? That's unlawful. The momentary forgetting of the handful of FM below 145? That's human that you have pressed to the Nth degree. You're right. Man up! Let it go. I'll be praying for you. The chip on your shoulder must be getting heavy. Namaste.

Frankly, where you live there may be a 'couple of frequencies' that use FM below 145MHz, but that is not the only band plan out there.

And I'm sorry if you felt it was an attack. It was not meant to be.

But please remember, this it an international forum, not just a Southern California forum, what goes there for a VHF band plan is not how everywhere is. Where you life there may only be three repeater pairs that have inputs below 145MHz, but in many places there are significantly more.

Some 1200bps packet systems use split inputs on 145MHz, and there is also APRS. All this uses FM, which a VX-4000 can do.

Again I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings by pointing out that you had given some bad info.

Project25_MASTR

There are alternate APRS frequencies that are not 144.39. There are also other frequencies on other bands for aprs. Your the only one who seems to believe APRS (which is a protocol) use else where than 144.39 is misuse, especially when testing the protocol along side traditional packet and one is not wanting to back up the APRS network.

I never said commercial entities I know were using ham frequencies. In fact I stated they were using APRS (which again, is a protocol) because they had a mix of Kenwood and Icom equipment. Using the manufacturer's proprietary tracking protocols made no sense. Look at Byonics and Argent Data's websites....They all sell their products for commercial use on commercial frequencies.

patracy

Has anyone done this with the VX-6000 series radios? I have a few radios Low band, VHF, and UHF. I was wanting to move the frequencies down to 2m for Ham on the VHF model. Then 70cm for the UHF model. Since they'd be stuck with just programmed frequencies, I think they'd make a good base radio.

Project25_MASTR

Has anyone done this with the VX-6000 series radios? I have a few radios Low band, VHF, and UHF. I was wanting to move the frequencies down to 2m for Ham on the VHF model. Then 70cm for the UHF model. Since they'd be stuck with just programmed frequencies, I think they'd make a good base radio.

The VX-6000 is a rebranded Kenwood TK-x90. So modifying a 690 for low band should be the same process for the VX-6000. The VX-6000s should also support MPL on a hot key on the front of the radio. So you might check and see if the majority of the repeaters in the area are common to a set of PLs.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber

I changed my VX6000 VHF-C to a VHF-A. My service monitor says all is well with no other adjustments necessary. Works just dandy, but the 162.xxx weather channels go away, not that I really care.

Has anyone found the hexedit address to let a Low Band VX4500 go up to 54MHz? Or, is there a better way?

patracy

I was able to switch it to A as well. RX seems fine. But I'm having an interesting problem on TX. I'm not able to key any of the local repeaters. But during last week's net, I tried the VX-6000. A few other members heard my call, but it did not hit the repeater. It sounded as though I was simplex to them on the TX. I guess I'll have to have it calibrated.

eportel6607

I changed my VX6000 VHF-C to a VHF-A. My service monitor says all is well with no other adjustments necessary. Works just dandy, but the 162.xxx weather channels go away, not that I really care.

Has anyone found the hexedit address to let a Low Band VX4500 go up to 54MHz? Or, is there a better way?

I'm no so sure pushing the low band that far up is a good idea. On the UHF models the bandwidth of the antennas is about 20Mhz. On VHF high band it's about 5 to 6Mhz...but on low band it's only 2Mhz. Unless your ONLY planning on using the low band radio for 6 meters and nothing else int the LMR band the antenna match of a spread more than 2Mhz is going to likely be a no go for the radio.

eportel6607

Guys I too have a VHF C model VX4000V model. I have edited the code plug to bring the band limit down to 144Mhz from 148Mhz. It works when it comes to being able to add the freqs below 148 in the software but I noticed a strange thing with both of my VX4000V. Both of them when I try and program the radio with the latest C49 software shows up as a VX6000 not a VX4000 radio. This was the case long before I'm trying to modify the code plug for 2 meter band. In order for me to program the radio I have to go into the HARDWARE menu and switch if from a VX6000 to a VX4000...then it will program.

When I made the mods to the code plug it went well and saved. When I loaded that code plug into the software I can input freqs in the 144 to 148Mh range but when I try to save it to the radio ...again it won't go. NOT because the freqs but because it thinks the radios are a VX6000 model. No clue why this is the case. Any idea why both radios are being seen as a VX6000 and not the VX4000? Is this editable in the code plug by means of a hex editor? If so I can't seem to find any clue as what to change.

Last edited:

radiotweester

Guys I too have a VHF C model VX4000V model. I have edited the code plug to bring the band limit down to 144Mhz from 148Mhz. It works when it comes to being able to add the freqs below 148 in the software but I noticed a strange thing with both of my VX4000V. Both of them when I try and program the radio with the latest C49 software shows up as a VX6000 not a VX4000 radio. This was the case long before I'm trying to modify the code plug for 2 meter band. In order for me to program the radio I have to go into the HARDWARE menu and switch if from a VX6000 to a VX4000...then it will program.

When I made the mods to the code plug it went well and saved. When I loaded that code plug into the software I can input freqs in the 144 to 148Mh range but when I try to save it to the radio ...again it won't go. NOT because the freqs but because it thinks the radios are a VX6000 model. No clue why this is the case. Any idea why both radios are being seen as a VX6000 and not the VX4000? Is this editable in the code plug by means of a hex editor? If so I can't seem to find any clue as what to change.

You might try editing band limits of the default VX4000 file. Open the default file, then read the radio and do you programming on that read file. I used CE-49 V5.17 exp. I had a similar save issue on a 4000L. Hope that works for you.

eportel6607

You might try editing band limits of the default VX4000 file. Open the default file, then read the radio and do you programming on that read file. I used CE-49 V5.17 exp. I had a similar save issue on a 4000L. Hope that works for you.

thanks very much. I didn't think it would matter if I used a custom code plug file. I didn't even attempt the default file. Thanks I'll give that a try tomorrow and let you know.

eportel6607

it sort of worked

Hi again guys. Sorry for the long delay in getting back here. I took the "default" file for the VHF VX-4000. I had previously modified the code plug data with to lower the band limit to 144Mhz using a hex editor. I then started the software (ce49) and loaded this "default" code plug file. Then I programmed in a 146.000 freq. It took it no problem. I then programmed the radio. Again this went fine and I could transmit and receive on this out of band freq. I then went to add some legit 2 meter repeaters by simply adding more channels to the bank and I started programming. All went fine. I saved this file as "default" again. (I think this was a mistake). When I tried to send this to the radio I got an error. The same error I always get with these VHF VX-4000s. The error has to do with the fact that the ce49 software sees the radio as a VX-6000. Both of the radios I own this is the case. WHen I change the product type from a VX-6000 to a VX-4000 the frequencies I put in that are out of band revert back to 148.000 and that is the end of that. There is a certain way this needs to be done I just haven't figured it out yet.
The first time I programmed the radio (when it actually took the out of band freq) it's the way I loaded the default file first...it showed the product type as a VX-4000 so I was able to program the radio with the out of band freq...I think by saving the new file as "default" I may have made it so I can't program it again using this file....anybody have a true stock "default" code plug file for the VHF VX-4000?

Status
Not open for further replies.