Walmart Scanner Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
at my wal-mart you don't need a scanner to listen to the radios, the managers keep them up so loud you just have to follow one around.

MacombMonitor

Wal-Mart probably wants digital radios so they can talk about all their illegal alien employees!

grem467

because it came up.. yes the digital they are using is not compatable with digital scanners, (not P25), it would seem moto is going with some kind of DSS for those types of radios.

n1das

Walmart digital radios

Wal*Marts that have "gone digital" are likely using the Motorola DTR550 and DTR650 900MHz digital portables. From what I've gathered about them, they might be compatible with NEXTEL's off-network "DirecTalk" feature in some iDEN phones.

NEXTEL's DirecTalk is 900MHz ISM FHSS.
The DTR550 and DTR650 portables are also 900MHz ISM FHSS.
No FCC license is required as they are operating under Part 15 rules in the 900MHz band.

DTR550 price = $385
DTR650 price = $400

I think the DirecTalk NEXTEL phones and the DTR portables share a common design. They already share the same battery packs and accessories.

Although NEXTEL's DirecTalk traffic can't be monitored on a conventional scanner, local DirecTalk traffic CAN be monitored by anybody with a NEXTEL phone that has DirecTalk capability. The owner's manual and DirecTalk quickstart guide specifically mentions this. You have to have it set on the same "channel" and "code" combination or with the code set to "Receive All" to monitor traffic. There is also a "private" 1-on-1 DirecTalk mode between a pair of phones that is more secure, like the normal DirectConnect on the NEXTEL network. I suspect none of the traffic is encrypted, just 900MHz FHSS.

I have a NEXTEL phone with off-network DirecTalk capability. My GF and I have played around with it (she also has one) and it works as advertised and the audio quality is excellent. The audio qualilty may actually be BETTER than the NEXTEL phone audio. No digital artifacts are heard at all. It just plain works if you're in range and doesn't if you're not. Usable range appears to be similar to an FRS/GMRS bubblepack radio. We haven't had our new phones long enough yet to do some serious range tests.

I have a gut feeling that NEXTEL's DirecTalk (DT) is the exact same thing as the open talkgroup mode on the DTR portables. The "channel" and "code" used would have to match. It would be useful and wicked cool if they are compatible. Has anybody tried to talk between a DTR550 or DTR650 portable and a NEXTEL phone in DirecTalk mode?

If NEXTEL's off-network DT feature is compatible with the open talkgroup mode on the DTR portables, then there IS a way to monitor them and do so legally. You could even talk to them (legally) if you wanted to as no license is required and the devices are operating under Part 15 rules.

I may eventually get a pair of DTR650 portables if they are compatible with NEXTEL's DT feature.

~ n1das

DGroves

Wal-Mart Radio's

I'm with Mark in wondering why you would be so interested in what wal-mart has to say on their radio's. I do loss prevention for wal-mart and I've all the dirt for you since your so interested. At my store in Denver we use the Jobcom JMX-141D, here is a link to the owners manual http://www.ritron.com/jmx-de_uml.pdf. Channel one is the blue dot channel 154.5700, ch 2 is the green dot channel 154.6000, ch 3 is the red dot channel 151.6250, channel 4 is the purple dot channel 151.9550. Some of the radios in the store are those 1 channel motorola's that were refered to earlier. I added a 5th channel to the LP radio's since we don't want anyone else in the store listening to what we are saying. If other wal-marts had technical geeks like me on their staff they would probably keep freq hopping to keep people like you all from "peeking" at who we're watching. Well, I'd love to stay and chat about wal-marts radio's, but i have a life.

See ya

cellblock776

dgroves,
Keep in mind that the first 2 channels on your radios are Multi Use Radio Service, MURS, frequencies and are able to be used by anyone with a MURS capable radio. Other MURS freqs are
151.820 MHz
151.880 MHz
151.940 MHz
154.570 MHz
154.600 MHz

drew6553

flyingwolf said:
Do you really think Wal-Mart would need a reason to go digital? If one of the crazy upper bossmen want it cause its cool they will have it.

i have found a store that needed that with encryption apparently. the two top managers had to resort to using codes of when to meet for a rendevous the other managers knew about it didnt care but they didnt want the public to hear it. the problem is one of their rendevous in the sotr happened to be caught by the eye on the cieling cameras. D'oh so now southport, nc is looking for two head managers any one want a job?

DGroves

Wal-Mart Radio's

I spoke to our claims person today when I got to work and asked to look up those Motorola Digital radios. She found them and said all I need was a managers approval to order them. I talked to one of co-managers that said we need to make some money before we order them. At that price I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Cobra_Commander

InvisibleIndividual
Premium Subscriber
i work for wallyworld and the managers have motorola xtn series radio i think vhf. what frequencies do they use? i am a cartpusher.

K5MAR

DGroves said:
If other wal-marts had technical geeks like me on their staff they would probably keep freq hopping to keep people like you all from "peeking" at who we're watching.
Umm, that's why the radios we use are called "scanners". :roll:

Mark S.

cartman

walmart radio's and frequencies

Chris-M said:
Had to make a WallyWorld run tonight. An employee wearing a blue Wal Mart shirt near me had a Motorola XTN radio. One of these days I'll bring my BC246 and do some frequency hunting, when I'm really really bored.
Not sure whether the XTN I saw was VHF or UHF. Just said Motorola XTN Series on the front.
http://www.motorola.com/cgiss/portables/xv2100.shtml[/QUOTE: Whats happening guys. I just joined the forum, and from what I'm reading I'll probably enjoy it. Yal are right, they use the XTN series radio's by Motorola. I've been try'n to find they're frequency as well. Is the 154-600 frequency uniform for all walmarts or just a few. I just bought a new BC92XLT so I'll put it to work.

snikliw87

Just thought I'd mention...

I got the frequencies for the Target I work at... I submitted them on the reference page too.

467.90000 M 5 Target (Plymouth) Assets Protection / Security) FM
467.77500 M 2 Target (Plymouth) Backroom FM
467.92500 M 3 Target (Plymouth) Backup/Other FM
467.75000 M 1 Target (Plymouth) Main Store Frequency FM

This is for Plymouth, MN Super Target.

Is Walmart better than Target? Maybe with their radio communications! lol

BJ_NORTON

Cobra_Commander said:
i work for wallyworld and the managers have motorola xtn series radio i think vhf. what frequencies do they use? i am a cartpusher.
It all makes sense now... :roll:

WA1CRZ

I think it would be fun to find a way to jam their RFID scanner thingys they have at the exit doors. It be fun to walk out with a bunch of stuff for free.

Viper43

WA1CRZ said:
I think it would be fun to find a way to jam their RFID scanner thingys they have at the exit doors. It be fun to walk out with a bunch of stuff for free.

Go to the East Washington St WalMart in Indianapolis, In at about 1am and you can walk out with anything.... even security is alseep. The only problem is you may get mugged by the gangbangers who hang around, or get puked on by some little kid that should be at home asleep instead of crawling around the floor at WallyWorld.
I have been in there with friends at 1am, 2am and 3am and kids aged 3-12 are in there running around....On school nights. It's really bad when they get their foodstamps and SS checks.

V

Viper43

MacombMonitor said:
Wal-Mart probably wants digital radios so they can talk about all their illegal alien employees!
Either that or they think it's easier for them to speak Spanish on. Which brings up another FCC reg about English only on radio frequencies in the US. I even hear it on the ham bands now. Between WallyWorld and Micky D's it's getting harder to understand the people working there. They finally canned all the Mexicans at one McDonalds I go to because of too many complaints about wrong otders. Not one could speak English and they wondered why the orders were so screwed up. This area was the wrong one to put them as you could count on both hands how many live in this county.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.