Weird issue with 'Hold'

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
I currently have it held on a talkgroup that is not very active, but when another talkgroup becomes active, it switches to that instead (it's also marked as a priority channel if that makes any difference.) I don't really know why, I assume it could be because it's marked as a priority channel. When it comes to conventional channels, it stays on it until I resume scanning. But I really don't have any other clues other than that. It's quite annoying so.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Turn off priority. If there is no activity on a talkgroup, the scanner will go to another talkgroup marked as priority. Priority only works for the system the scanner is currently receiving. It cannot work across systems. Do you have priority turned on for the conventional system? If priority is on, there will be an audio dropout about every 2 seconds while checking for priority channels.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I use DND (do not disturb) priority and only use it on 4 conventional frequencies. The radio doesn’t drop out every other second to check my priority channels (which I hate) but it won’t automatically switch to the DND priority channel or TG if it’s busy listening to another transmission or just scanning through a trunked system. Of late I’ve noticed the scanner won’t go back to a DND priority frequency immediately (I have it set to 1 second intervals) but that’s understandable due to the fact I have UnAvoided a few large trunked systems, where DND won’t kick in until it leaves the trunked systems.

Just turn off those other priorities you have set up and the scanner will “Hold” on where you stopped it.

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
Turn off priority. If there is no activity on a talkgroup, the scanner will go to another talkgroup marked as priority. Priority only works for the system the scanner is currently receiving. It cannot work across systems. Do you have priority turned on for the conventional system? If priority is on, there will be an audio dropout about every 2 seconds while checking for priority channels.
I do not have priority scan going since it will not enable anyway.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I do not have priority scan going since it will not enable anyway.
By your statement that 'priority will not enable', are you referring to turning Priority on or off, with the <Func>+<.no pri> keystroke combination, and getting an error message? You get the same error message if you set Priority in your Sentinel profile, but have no list enabled that has a conventional channel tagged as Priority. If conventional Priority is enabled, you'll see a PRI at the bottom of the display.

But for the system where you are holding on a TGID, if you have a talkgroup tagged as Priority, and have the system set to enable Priority Scan, then it will do what you are describing: Holding on a talkgroup, but switching to a TGID tagged as Priority within that same system that you are holding on. Trunking System Priority Scan cannot be enabled, or disabled via a keystroke combination via the keypad. It can only be set, or disabled, by editing the specific trunked system's options in it's Favorites list, either via the scanner's menu, or in Sentinel before sending the list to the scanner. When trunking priority is enabled, there is no indication of that on the display. The PRI on the display only displays when Conventional Priority is engaged. (But, as noted, you cannot use conventional priority unless you have an actively scanned list that has one or more Priority channels in conventional systems.)

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
By your statement that 'priority will not enable', are you referring to turning Priority on or off, with the <Func>+<.no pri> keystroke combination, and getting an error message?
Yes, and I get 'Priority Scan, No Channel.'
But for the system where you are holding on a TGID, if you have a talkgroup tagged as Priority, and have the system set to enable Priority Scan, then it will do what you are describing: Holding on a talkgroup, but switching to a TGID tagged as Priority within that same system that you are holding on. Trunking System Priority Scan cannot be enabled, or disabled via a keystroke combination via the keypad. It can only be set, or disabled, by editing the specific trunked system's options in it's Favorites list, either via the scanner's menu, or in Sentinel before sending the list to the scanner. When trunking priority is enabled, there is no indication of that on the display. The PRI on the display only displays when Conventional Priority is engaged. (But, as noted, you cannot use conventional priority unless you have an actively scanned list that has one or more Priority channels in conventional systems.)
But what you are describing is for the 436, I have the 325 which comes with no sentinel software or favorites list.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yes, and I get 'Priority Scan, No Channel.'
Again, that error message is referring to Conventional Channel Priority. There is no error message generated for any trunked system that is set for Priority ID Scan, but no active TGID tagged as Priority. Nor is there any indicator on the display as to trunking priority being enabled, or disabled.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Are these two statements true? (I’m not sure about the Trunked)…

Conventional; If you don’t have anything set as a priority channel, the scanner should stay where you stopped it.

Trunked; again, with no priority set, the “Hold” button should keep the scanner on the TG you want to Hold.