West Palm Beach Looking To Dump Police Radio System, Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiotech181

Open sky should die!

This is what happens when you have bean counters, politicians, pencil pushers and police admin think that they know how to run a radio system .

Instead of getting Radio personnel involved in the procurement and testing of a radio system.
I have worked with both MACOM and Motorola and I could tell you after 25+ years in radio that MACOM's radio system be it EDACS, Pro-Voice or Open-Sky just does not work.

The noise is from a B.D.A. that should have not been installed but was ill advised and installed because the salesman from MACOM made them believe this will solve their problems..... MACOM Salesmen are today's Snake Oil salesmen. Dont get me wrong Harris/MACOM makes great radios but the software behind these radios just don't work especially the DSP software.

OH well.... they will learn the hard way but the big losers are the tax payers again and back to their old but proven Motorola system.

Open Sky ...Call for help , You may die...

KE4RWS

Damn Open Sky . . .

I hope like hell they DO dump it. It's bad enough Jupiter PD went with Open Sky but at least they are just a small agency (although I'm sure those who live there and want to hear them don't like it).

This is one of those issues us dedicated listeners will all have to face at some point in one regard or another. But I'm happy WPB is at least considering shelving the idea for now. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't simply consider something else just as bad.

I loathe the day our scanners will only be good for listening to taxi's - and given enough time maybe not even THAT :(

Status
Not open for further replies.