What comes after encryption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolnCode3

Should they go fully encrypted, it's a good reason to forbid them from using cell phones in their vehicles just the same as the rest of us. It should also eliminate the need for department issued cell phones (if applicable).

They'll be no need to use a cell phone to communicate sensitive details if they can just switch to another encrypted talk group and communicate that way.

Since most companies don't allow cell phones while working, a police department could be required to forbid officers from using cell phones anytime while on duty. Combine that with recording all radio traffic, and it could add a nice measure of accountability.

Yes, because calling victims and witnesses while on the way to the call is clearly completely unreasonable. People kill me when they think they have all the bases covered and they miss the obvious.

We (officers) don't need to only talk to other officers on our radio system. There's outside agencies, citizens, and officers that do not always have computers or radios handy (command/supervisors).

Last edited:

jim202

The norm seems to be those agencies that have gone full encryption have found that supporting it 24/7 for the entire fleet of radios becomes more of an issue than what they thought it solves. As such, many of the agencies have been forced to go back to clear channels over time and just leave a few channels encrypted.

What common sense doesn't do, the financial support does. It becomes very labor intensive even if you use over the air reprogramming. The over the air reprogramming is very slow and always subject to data corruption. Then it has to be resent again. Poor signal reception also takes it's toll on the process.

To each their own, but the water always settles into the lowest area. In this case, labor cost and time.

mrkevin02

Premium Subscriber
I know this seems to be the case with Garden City PD & Finney County SO not being able to communitcate with the HIghway Patrol except through the dispatcher over a land line. You can hear the frustration in the Highway Patrol Troopers voice as he trys to get information on things. This has been an on going problem sense the Christmas blizzard we had in western Kansas. I know several Troopers were mad at how Finney County had their radio system sat up at that time and it has not gotten better.

My gut feeling is Finney County & Garden City will both go back to clear channels for day to day stuff and only have a couple of encrypted channels with in the next year or two. Maybe sooner if department heads listen to the the people who are the ones using the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.