What is the role of a 'simulcast' tower in SCOM21?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see 'simulcast' towers listed in the database every so often, I only ask because I would like to get an informed answer.. What is their role? Should they be included when setting up a district in a 396? Guessing I would think they broadcast the same info as a 'repeater' of sorts?

thanks

N9JIG

Sheriff
Since many areas can not be served with a single site multiple towers are used to provide better covereage. Simulcast towers broadcast the same conversations on the same freqs and appear to the radio (and users) as a single tower.

As far as listening in on a scanner you would only program it in once, and would hear all the traffic no matter where you are in the coverage area.

StarCom21 has several sets of simulcast towers, including the Peoria area, several in the Chicago area, Rockford and the St. Clair County subsystem.

N9JIG said:
Since many areas can not be served with a single site multiple towers are used to provide better covereage. Simulcast towers broadcast the same conversations on the same freqs and appear to the radio (and users) as a single tower.

As far as listening in on a scanner you would only program it in once, and would hear all the traffic no matter where you are in the coverage area.

StarCom21 has several sets of simulcast towers, including the Peoria area, several in the Chicago area, Rockford and the St. Clair County subsystem.

ok, so for instance the St Clair county simulcast site serves the St Clair county only , or the metro east? One other thing I'd like to ask, is I notice for Dist 3/4 (Chicago) there are no towers listed when working with RRDB through arc396, are the DCH (3 of them) the ones I'd want for that district?

Last edited:

toonman4

DCH is District Chicago.
When they combined Dist 3 (Cook County, excluding chicago) and Dist 4 (Chicago only) many years ago they just started calling it District Chicago

toonman4 said:
DCH is District Chicago.
When they combined Dist 3 (Cook County, excluding chicago) and Dist 4 (Chicago only) many years ago they just started calling it District Chicago

ok that's what I thought those DCH were but just wanted to confirm, thanks!

N9JIG

Sheriff
DamnDirtyApe said:
ok, so for instance the St Clair county simulcast site serves the St Clair county only , or the metro east? One other thing I'd like to ask, is I notice for Dist 3/4 (Chicago) there are no towers listed when working with RRDB through arc396, are the DCH (3 of them) the ones I'd want for that district?

The St. Clair Simulcast (Site 359) is a special animal. It really isn't part of StarCom21, it is owned and operated by St. Clair, and carries no state traffic. It will however work on some mutual aid talkgroups. That is why there are real StarCom21 sites in St. Clair County, including some on the same towers as St. Clair (359) sites

For District Chicago, the former Districts 3 and 4, there are a couple simulcast site groups (102 south and 115 north) that cover Cook County. These sites also spill over into adjacent areas. Coverage into parts of Cook County also comes from 101, 108, 113 and maybe 126.

Status
Not open for further replies.