What New Amateur Radios Are Coming Out Soon For Digital Modulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I would like to get a dual band mobile in the future that is both analog and P25. I gather from previous posts that the Yaesu version isn't it. Is there any possibility that Icom might have come out with a dual bander that is BOTH D-Star and P25? Also, are Icom and YAesu the only game in town as far as a regular VHF/UHF ham radio having digital modes? I realize that commercial radios are available, but I would rather not go that route just yet, if I don't have to.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

Sorry to disappoint you, but there are not any Amateur Yeasu/Icom/Kenwood dual banders that do P25. For P25 you are going to have to go to Thales, Motorola, or Harris to get analog/P25 capable multiband mobiles or portables. As well you are not going to find ANY gear that can go from analog to D-Star(GMSK) to P25(C4FM). There is no such beast and there will probably never be a beast like that.

k3td

I'm not sure there are any dual band digital mobiles except two ICOM mobiles for D-Star. You will probably want to start by finding out what digital modes are in use in your area if you want someone else to talk to. If it is something other than D-Star, you could use two single band commercial mobiles.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

k3td said:
I'm not sure there are any dual band digital mobiles except two ICOM mobiles for D-Star. You will probably want to start by finding out what digital modes are in use in your area if you want someone else to talk to. If it is something other than D-Star, you could use two single band commercial mobiles.

Icom IS the only company that makes D-Star radios. As far as the FTD-1 or what ever that odd ball C4FM unique crap radio it is, IMO will not be around for long. So if you are going to look at some othere digital mode, go with what is used in your area, if it is D-Star, go with it. If it is DMR go with it. If there is nothing, then your best bet is to stay analog, unless you travel somewhere that had digital activity.

n5ims

Don't forget MotoTRBO/DMR digital radios that are now cropping up on the ham bands. It's digital and not compatible with D-Star or P-25 but is starting to be popular in various areas.

stevelton

In that regard then dont forget about NXDN digital. Its growing worldwide just as fast as DMR, and you dont have to give your soul to Big M to get the software. And NXDN is built by Icom and Kenwood, both of which have a great reputation building Amateur Radios. Dual band no, but the radios are small and cheap enough that having 2 separate radios isnt as bad a thing as you might think.

Steven KC9GMX

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

stevelton said:
In that regard then dont forget about NXDN digital. Its growing worldwide just as fast as DMR, and you dont have to give your soul to Big M to get the software. And NXDN is built by Icom and Kenwood, both of which have a great reputation building Amateur Radios. Dual band no, but the radios are small and cheap enough that having 2 separate radios isnt as bad a thing as you might think.

Steven KC9GMX

You do not have to 'sell your soul' to Motorola to get on DMR. Tait, Vertex, Simoco, Hytera, and at least one other company build DMR radios.

HarryWilly

I have been trying to figure out this DMR stuff for myself, because I too was interested in buying a transceiver that had digital capabilities. I am most impressed with the DMR network, and its long term capabilities because you are not tied down to one manufacturer, and as a result of the competition, a heavy duty MotoTRBO or Vertex Standard DMR radio is actually cheaper than an Icom ID-1 or most of the other D-STAR stuff.

However, this thread has me confused - isn't C4FM another way of explaining the protocol that the DMR TDMA are operating under? I thought C4FM describes the type of TDMA, and the DMR radios are using AMBE for a vocoder.

Basically isn't Yaesu's digital stuff supposed to be compatible with DMR radios (DMR MARC's website says they are), or is it just different enough that Yaesu is making their own digital protocol?

nd5y

C4FM is 4 level FSK. It is a modulation type, not a protocol, and has nothing to do with the vocoder or TDMA.
P25 phase I and FLEX paging also use 4 level FSK.

HarryWilly

Copy... I am still struggling to wrap my head around all the terms and technology. My only experience prior with digital stuff is in the public safety world, which is pretty much vendor specific (yes, I get P25 is open, but for a lot of features the public safety world uses, and contracts, each system becomes vendor specific).

I want to jump into digital on the amateur side, I just don't want to be tied down to one vendor, so I am hoping with what Yaesu produces, we have an open protocol (minus the AMBE vocoder, which is still licensed technology) so stuff is cheaper because of competition, and it is compatible with what is already popping up in terms of DMR because I know a lot of people like using Motorola stuff, but I don't want to have to drop all that money between the transceiver itself, and getting in programmed, and over priced accessories, etc.

Excited to see what happens as Yaesu releases stuff...

beischel

Copy... I am still struggling to wrap my head around all the terms and technology. My only experience prior with digital stuff is in the public safety world, which is pretty much vendor specific (yes, I get P25 is open, but for a lot of features the public safety world uses, and contracts, each system becomes vendor specific).

I want to jump into digital on the amateur side, I just don't want to be tied down to one vendor, so I am hoping with what Yaesu produces, we have an open protocol (minus the AMBE vocoder, which is still licensed technology) so stuff is cheaper because of competition, and it is compatible with what is already popping up in terms of DMR because I know a lot of people like using Motorola stuff, but I don't want to have to drop all that money between the transceiver itself, and getting in programmed, and over priced accessories, etc.

Excited to see what happens as Yaesu releases stuff...

To my knowledge all the protocols are completely open. I know DStar, DMR, APCO25 are and I think NXDN is also. The only thing proprietary are the Codecs for each and every one of those systems. But no big issue. There are a few third parties building DStar capable radios and adapters for FM radios as long as they have a 9600 baud packet port.

Status
Not open for further replies.