• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What NMO antenna is best for mobile VHF 150MHz-170MHz

2ofeverything

I am new to HAM and am putting a MSC2000 Motorola with Emergency/marine VHF frequencies in my work truck (logger) I live in a commercial fishing community in Alaska and that's how we all keep in touch. Basically someone's real world experience with NMO antennas that work the best for land to sea/sea to land comms. I am aware of the laws, so please just some friendly advice needed, thank you. Again this an Emergency setup, not for "rag chewing"

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Since you're covering a rather broad frequency range (144-148 MHz for ham and about 156 MHz for marine) you'll need an antenna with wide bandwidth. A 1/4 VHF whip (about 18"-19" long) is broadband. It's basically a length of thin stainless steel rod in an NMO mount. Available in chrome or black finish with a cost under about $25. Stick with a name brand like PC-Tel or Pulse-Larsen.

Some users here, like @mmckenna, are using the EMWave products with good results. These are more flexible with a built in spring at the base but at a slightly higher cost.

2ofeverything

Since you're covering a rather broad frequency range (144-148 MHz for ham and about 156 MHz for marine) you'll need an antenna with wide bandwidth. A 1/4 VHF whip (about 18"-19" long) is broadband. It's basically a length of thin stainless steel rod in an NMO mount. Available in chrome or black finish with a cost under about $25. Stick with a name brand like PC-Tel or Pulse-Larsen.

Some users here, like @mmckenna, are using the EMWave products with good results. These are more flexible with a built in spring at the base but at a slightly higher cost.
Much appreciated, since it seems like these are not too bad on price, I may just get a "stubby", 18"-19" and the biggest one that I can feasibly put up there with the truck parked. I guess brand(s) would be the next question :)

2ofeverything

Using a 5/8 wave larson would give you the most gain but would also stick up the highest and run the risk od damage from trees.
A 1/4 wave would be wider band width lower in height but less gain.
Then you have the new LOW PROFILE Stealth Tuned Low Profile Antenna for VHF
I like that Stealth one for her Durango, with a Motorola MSC200 would that transmit about 10 miles from a winding road to a base station? We live in an Alaskan coastal town.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The wider useable bandwidth of a quarter wave antenna would serve you better.
A 5/8th's wave would have more gain, but that's probably not going to be beneficial along the coastline, and the extra length will find all your low tree branches. Probably won't hurt the antenna, but it's usually not necessary for that sort of application.

I've almost always run 1/4 wave antennas on my radios. Those radios are usually loaded with not only amateur radio stuff, but work radio systems. Nice low SWR across the band, and the radiation pattern of the antenna works well.

My choice for antenna would be:
I've run the Larsen antennas for 30+ years, both on my personal vehicles and at work. Never had any issues with them.

Recently, I've been using EM Wave brand antennas and am pretty well impressed. The base sealing design is a bit better than Larsen, but either one will work just fine. I've started using the EM Wave antennas at work, and so far I'm happy.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Much appreciated, since it seems like these are not too bad on price, I may just get a "stubby", 18"-19" and the biggest one that I can feasibly put up there with the truck parked. I guess brand(s) would be the next question :)

The longer antennas won't do you much up there. I've spent a lot of time in Alaska along the coast. The longer/higher gain antennas won't get you through the mountains. The design focuses more power at the horizon, which can work against you in the tall mountains.

Certainly something you could experiment with, but after decades of doing this, I only run 1/4 waves now. Just never saw an improvement with higher gain antennas.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I like that Stealth one for her Durango, with a Motorola MSC200 would that transmit about 10 miles from a winding road to a base station? We live in an Alaskan coastal town.

I would STRONGLY discourage use of those stealth antennas on VHF. They will not work well. It is impossible to fit an efficient VHF antenna into something the size of a salt shaker and expect it to work well.
They are also very narrow banded, and won't work well over your listed range.
Also, known to not handle power very well. If these are mid power MCS-2000's, they might be OK. Don't try them with a high power MCS.

I wouldn't expect 10 miles out of that antenna unless it was on top of a mountain. 10 miles of twisty mountain roads and you'll have issues.

Save yourself the disappointment, go with the 1/4 wave.

2ofeverything

Roger that, very much appreciated. By the way, I have been researching Ham stuff now for awhile, just now getting ready to take the Tech exam, but wanted to let you know that I have written down your advice from your other forum inputs so much that I probably could fill a file folder! I just have notes everywhere! I will order these now1 have an awesome day! :)

prcguy

If amateur and marine frequencies are needed then a 5/8 wave will not handle the band width. I've used broad band 1/2 wave antennas from Laird and other mfrs that worked very well and provide a little more gain than a 1/4 wave whip. Here is one example from Laird.

2ofeverything

Thank you, I am going to go ahead and order the ones that Mr. mmckenna is using, after 3 tours over seas in the military I have learned to use whatever the guys that put their lives on the line use. Lucky to have a wife that does not complain if I spend money on whatever is the best,(within budgetary reason)

2ofeverything

If amateur and marine frequencies are needed then a 5/8 wave will not handle the band width. I've used broad band 1/2 wave antennas from Laird and other mfrs that worked very well and provide a little more gain than a 1/4 wave whip. Here is one example from Laird.

This one does have the

I think the one you suggested that Mr. mmckenna uses on his utv would be nice, but trying to find a seller?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think the one you suggested that Mr. mmckenna uses on his utv would be nice, but trying to find a seller?

The whip comes long and will need to be trimmed before using it. It will include a cut chart to tune is fairly close. Somewhere around 35-36 inch whip length (not including the spring) will put you in the middle between the 2 meter amateur band and the top of the VHF marine band.

2ofeverything

She is fine with what you recommended, just was intimidated with my novice choice of a 54" whip up on her Durango. I think for now and budget, the first one you suggested, the Pulse-Larsen 1/4 wave would be a good one. Researching how to install this without messing things up!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Using a 5/8 wave larson would give you the most gain but would also stick up the highest and run the risk od damage from trees.
A 1/4 wave would be wider band width lower in height but less gain.
Then you have the new LOW PROFILE Stealth Tuned Low Profile Antenna for VHF
A NMO-150 is the WRONG antenna to be using. 150-174 coverage is going to need either a 1/4 wave or 1/2 wave antenna to cover 24Mhz with an acceptable match

My choices would be:
1. EM Wave wide band 1/4 wave.
2. Larsen NMO-WB

2ofeverything

The whip comes long and will need to be trimmed before using it. It will include a cut chart to tune is fairly close. Somewhere around 35-36 inch whip length (not including the spring) will put you in the middle between the 2 meter amateur band and the top of the VHF marine band.
Those are out of stock, what about this one B1443S: 144-174 MHz Mobile Base Coil NMO Mount Antenna With Spring- Metalic Ground Plane Required

2ofeverything

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I got it sorted with the Technician at the company that you had recommended, he advised the same ones and I just got all three vehicles lined out for $200! I truly am grateful for everyone's input and help, knowledge is power! Stay safe, stay warm!

Great, let us know how it turns out.

You really want to install a permanent NMO mount to make the best use of what you have. It's not too difficult, just takes some time. Durangos have been used a police cars, so lots of info on installing in those. American full size pickups are some of the easier vehicles to install in. I've done a lot of GM and Ford trucks.