What was the last "high-end" analog (non-synthesized) receiver of merit?

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I received my first "real" SW rig the day before Thanksgiving 1994. The Drake R-8 was an absolute joy to use..

Any [decent signal] AM broadcast station sounded beautiful and the controls were so simple to use. No silly menus to worry about. It was my first true USB/LSB receiver that answered a lot of my HF questions. Tuning around the HF spectrum was enlightening. I connected it within minutes of receiving the package -- at around 1030AM. (I had the antenna ready to go.) I was trying to tune HAM stations in the 20m band and couldn't understand why no one was talking. Ah the joys of propagation.

I vaguely remember tuning in HAM stations in the 80/40m HAM bands. A couple hours later, I finally read the manual (which I had already done 100 times online) -- but you know how it is when it's actually in your hands. I even had my initial memories already decided on. Put in WWV for the first few (that way I'll always know the HF conditions) and lock them out from scanning. Then scan only my cool USAF and utility stations. I think my list was only about 25 strong at the time.

Other than some of its nitpick issues, the only real criticism I had was its size. Back then it was a huge receiver -- lightweight -- but its footprint was pretty large. It is/was still an amazing receiver.

The Drake R-8 with a simple 60ft longwire (connected to a 9:1 Palomar balun) was pretty hard to beat back then.

Token

SDR was defined in the early 90s and possibly earlier. I had the fortune to work with one of the first SDR radios designed in the early 90s by Hughes Aircraft. It could transmit and receive from AM broadcast to over 800MHz. Back then SDR is defined as performing typical receiver functions like IF BW, AGC and demodulation using computer simulation IE, digital signal processing.

Yeah, I get that. If the radio replaces traditional analog circuits with DSP, it is SDR or at least hybrid. But, to many people, particularly in the hobby community, an SDR is something that has to be hooked to a computer. That was why I phrased my statement the way I did.

T!

prcguy

Yeah, I get that. If the radio replaces traditional analog circuits with DSP, it is SDR or at least hybrid. But, to many people, particularly in the hobby community, an SDR is something that has to be hooked to a computer. That was why I phrased my statement the way I did.

T!
External computer control has nothing to do with being an SDR and people need to get over that. DSP in the audio chain for noise reduction or EQ is not SDR, major receiver functions replaced with computer simulation is SDR.

BTW my last job at Hughes on the aerospace side was building test stations and equipment for a dept that designed and manufactured probably the fastest A/D converters on the planet at the time and those were at the heart of the Hughes SDR transceiver in the early 90s. I was also tasked with designing and building out a wide band antenna system to feed several labs and installed a couple of KRECO Discones on the roof to cover 30MHz to 1GHz feeding 7/8” Heliax throughout the building. I had our paint shop disassemble the antennas then prime and paint before they went up. That was later supplemented with a Dorn & Margolan UHF satcom panel antenna for an SDR satcom radio project.

Part of the demo setup for the Hughes SDR for showing off to the industry was a Hughes PRC-104 HF manpack that they would use to talk to the SDR while it simultaneously received local airport traffic on VHF and received cell phone calls at 800MHz. That SDR was pretty mind boggling at the time.

mountainrider

It would sure be nice to find a great receiving DESKTOP radio without breaking the bank
Last October I purchased a Reuter RDR52. I've had a couple Sony ICF-2010s, a couple different versions of Sony's ICF7600, Grundig S-800, and I use an Eton E1, a Tecsun H-501x, an Airspy HF+ Discovery, and a JRC NRD545 everyday, along with the Reuter. No radio I've ever used can recover audio like the RDR52. It is quiet, and I don't pretend to understand much of its tech. Spectrum-based Signal Processing (SBSP) and Time-based demodulators. The Time-based demodulators simulate analog reception. SYNC is the main Spectrum-based demodulator. The Spectrum-based SyncSB demodulator allows single sideband demodulation of an A3E signal. Somehow, it doesn't sound like SSB, it sounds like the full bandwidth while negating an interfering signal on the other sideband. Manual or automated notch filter. Onboard FSK decoder. The SBSP performs four times faster than an FFT display. The bottom line is I hear more; I can listen to weak signals that other radios can't resolve.

"Breaking the bank" I guess varies. I think I must have spent at least a kilobuck or more on the used JRC back around 2005, because I wanted a great desktop receiver! I might have only one more solar cycle after this one, so the ~$1900 I spent to acquire the RDR52 was well worth it!