menu appears.
4. From the drop-down menu, click
Properties

>​
Port Settings > Advanced. The Advanced
Settings screen appears. Change the Com
Port at the bottom left of the screen to the one
assigned for this cable.

Did you make changes as in step 4 of the pdf doc?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
If i have changed the thread im sorry but need help from "Don , i purchased a new Compaq W/Windows 7, have redownloaded my Win96 under the "starrsoft web site but its i think "Vista and not Windows7, we have it on the Desktop as unzipped, will it work OK on Windows7 if we unzip it and can i now use the cable from my GRE500 instead of the RS-grey cable as the new computer has USB ports only...I thank you very much for your help....

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
If i have changed the thread im sorry but need help from "Don , i purchased a new Compaq W/Windows 7, have redownloaded my Win96 under the "starrsoft web site but its i think "Vista and not Windows7, we have it on the Desktop as unzipped, will it work OK on Windows7 if we unzip it and can i now use the cable from my GRE500 instead of the RS-grey cable as the new computer has USB ports only...I thank you very much for your help....
7 has the correct drivers, I purchased a new PC with windows 7 Home Premium on Nov 27 but had to enter the correct two line Key.

I use three GRE cables. When puggied in each assigned to ports 4, 5, and 6 respectfully.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Thank You "Frank, so your saying we can "unzip Win96 on my Windows7, and it wants you to enter the 1)Name etc, 2)Key....Then attach the cable and it will program in the "drivers" , pick a comport, and will work to program my 2096??...Thank You as you know i am not good with this "software....

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Thank You "Frank, so your saying we can "unzip Win96 on my Windows7, and it wants you to enter the 1)Name etc, 2)Key....Then attach the cable and it will program in the "drivers" , pick a comport, and will work to program my 2096??...Thank You as you know i am not good with this "software....
Yes, if the zip has 12/16/09 Win96.exe, RRlib'dll and Hlp.chm plus a couple of other .dll files. Should be V 1.67.

The first run on Win96.exe, right click on the exe and then select run as Administrator. This Run will create a Win96.ini file which maintains how you use the program plus will maintain port data, previous files used and location on your PC when run again.

intermod

For the list: this issue with with Vista 64 bit, using the old 26-183 "flesh-colored" cable.....

DonS:

Thanks - you got very close - I force-fed the prolific driver; it is in, but:

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

Don: do you actually have the 26-183 running in V64?

G

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
G,

Windows 7 64 works with Prolific and 20-183 cable (mine is the old GRE Data Manager cable). Hadn't tried it prior to your above question but Win92 was successful both directions.

jbpro164

i have a pro 164 and i am a priemium member of radio refrence and have tryed several scanner softwares and cane get it to work someone please help me i have the orange radioshack cable i want cabarrus nc and rowan county nc programed into it email is jbarber36@carolina.rr.com help

Status
Not open for further replies.