• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR5550 - USB device not recognized

AFD103

Premium Subscriber
I've seen a couple threads about this problem, but haven't found a concrete answer yet.

Subject radio is an XPR5550 (non-e) with 2.10 firmware. When I plug the programming cable in, the display flashes the Impres accessory connected screen. The PC throws a pop-up that says the USB device isn't recognized.

Other relevant info:
OEM HKN6184C programming cable
PC is up-to-date WIN10
CPS2.0 version 2.134.76

Cable and PC are known good. I've been able to program other XPR550 radios since then, so it seems to be isolated to the radio.

TX and RX are fine through mic attached to the front port.

I've already tried swapping the control head with a known good head to rule out a port issue. The problem followed the radio.
I've also tried a known good OEM 1410 rear programming cable. Apparently rear programming had been disabled on this radio.

Depot won't touch it, since the non-e model is out of support. (only supported if there's an existing contract, which there is not)

Who's got ideas?

Last edited:

VK6NCB

Did the radio have a "ignition sense" wire plugged into the rear connector ?
our apprentice was tasked with making a bunch of cables for a client running DM4600/4601 radios, and managed to sneak in a few with the ignition sense wire on the opposite corner, which just happens to be one of slots the USB cable connects to, and adding 12V will kill the USB chip and make the radio unprogrammable. I found this out 6 months later when it was time to reprogram the fleet.
I cant remember if it connected and displayed the Impres connected screen, but it certainly wouldnt program.

AFD103

Premium Subscriber
Did the radio have a "ignition sense" wire plugged into the rear connector ?
our apprentice was tasked with making a bunch of cables for a client running DM4600/4601 radios, and managed to sneak in a few with the ignition sense wire on the opposite corner, which just happens to be one of slots the USB cable connects to, and adding 12V will kill the USB chip and make the radio unprogrammable. I found this out 6 months later when it was time to reprogram the fleet.
I cant remember if it connected and displayed the Impres connected screen, but it certainly wouldnt program.
The radio was installed in a commercial vehicle with a factory ignition sense cable attached. I'm getting the feeling that the USB chipset got nuked.

Have you tried a rear programming cable? Sometimes this has been a quick work around to this same issue for us.
See above. Rear programming was disabled in the codeplug.

VK6NCB

The radio was installed in a commercial vehicle with a factory ignition sense cable attached. I'm getting the feeling that the USB chipset got nuked.
its certainly possible if the ign sense was wired in the opposite corner to the correct one. kills both the front and rear programming, though the radio still functions normally, it just cant be reprogrammed (unless you can do it via OTAP)

took me waaaay too long to figure out what had happened, and I may have killed another USB chip in the process.