You Know You are Old Scanner Listener When.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
You know you are an old time scanner listener when you remember or used the GE Searcher manually tuneable scanners. A GE Searcher scanner was set up and operated like a crystal scanner. Each channel had its own tuning knob to manually adjust the receive frequency for each channel. I don't know how well they worked but I've seen a few of them.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Still have mine.

Attachments

• 20190322_124640.jpg
    20190322_124640.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190322_115825.jpg
    20190322_115825.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 59

eaf1956

Feed Provider
You know you're an old time scanner listener when your will stipulate being buried with all your scanners and that they be updated whenever a new model emerges.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DJ11DLN

You know you're an old time scanner listener when your will stipulate being buried with all your scanners and that they be updated whenever a new model emerges.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'd guess you will have a metal casket rather than wood, so you don't have to install a ground plane kit.:p

N4DJC

I started with a Bearcat IV, then a 210 (which was very expensive for the time). I still have a Bearcat BC80XLT that I used when I was a NASCAR addict, still works fine for analog.

Fast1eddie

Wow, really neat postings taking me back...Back to the future when UHF was king....Multiband manual tunabable radios, fascinating crystal controlled scanners were the rage...Monthly Radio Shack sales papers came in the mail....The yearly Radio Shack catalog arriving in early fall...Regency always had something interesting cookin'....And a young man (dat's me!) appropriated the old man's Realistic tunabable AM/VHF Patrolman radio jerryrigging it on his 10 speed and went riding around Alexandria anxiously awaiting next week's episode of Adam - 12. In later years said young man became a radio tech and made a career change into law enforcement, trading in his 10 speed for a Crown Vic Police Interceptor still reflecting back to Adam - 12 while cruising the streets at 0 dark thirty.

And a Big Mac cost 55 cents.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
I started in the mid 1970's with a GRE (I think) brand scanner that took programmable cards, then moved onto a BC-210.

A couple of years later, a J.I.L. SX-200 ... and so it goes.

Perhaps some memories for you here from a local 1984 publication:

http://www.vk3rx.com/ASW_ed01.pdf

Fast1eddie

I own several J.I.L SX 200's....Replaced the lossy Motorola antenna receptacle with mil spec BNC's, and for the heck of it, installed female F connector to experiment with RG 6 due to the lower cost and preinstalled male connectors. Worked very well!

Can't get away from sex in the radio world....

Status
Not open for further replies.