You've heard the story before - "HOA" and Shortwave (receiving) options.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm aware of that, but when dealing with stuff like this, it's wise to assume that such filtering won't completely solve the issue, until proven otherwise. At such a close distance, it's certainly not out of the range of possibility that the filters in these units might be overwhelmed

Mike

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
I'm in the same boat as as far as HOA, you are lucky you are on the 3rd floor. I am in a 1 story ranch. I decided to go all out on an indoor receive antenna so I purchased the AOR LA 400 ($600). I hang this in my window with the accessory extension cable . It really is a fantastic indoor, compromise, antenna. I would try the Airspy loop antenna ($29.00) if you want to go cheap but you get what you pay for.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I was wracking my brain trying to remember where I saw this, and I finally found it on the SWLing.com message board. Looks quite simple to build

Mike

Thank you for this. I've decided that (for me) this is the way I'm going to go. Now all I have to do is wait for the weather to improve. Yes, it's simple, easy and inexpensive.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I'm in the same boat as as far as HOA, you are lucky you are on the 3rd floor. I am in a 1 story ranch. I decided to go all out on an indoor receive antenna so I purchased the AOR LA 400 ($600). I hang this in my window with the accessory extension cable . It really is a fantastic indoor, compromise, antenna. I would try the Airspy loop antenna ($29.00) if you want to go cheap but you get what you pay for.

True, you do get what you pay for, but I cannot bring myself to fork over $600.00 for an antenna for a $130.00 SDR receiver. Since radio is not my primary hobby and HF is only a small fraction of that, the antenna @ka3jjz listed below your message looks like the best solution, at least for me.

a29zuk

I have an extra 9:1 balun and a 1500ohm resistor in my junk box. Might just build one of these in my garage and try it out on my Collins R-390.

Jim

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I have an extra 9:1 balun and a 1500ohm resistor in my junk box. Might just build one of these in my garage and try it out on my Collins R-390.

Jim
Cool! Let me know how it works out for you. I'll be doing this one myself when it warms up this spring.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Yes, this looks to be the PERFECT antenna for me. I'll be ordering the parts in March and installing it in April. I'm actually quite stoked about this antenna. I'm wondering though, how long is too long on the wire portion? I expect my HF listening will be in the 5-25 KHz range with the majority between 6, the 15 Khz range.

Blackswan73

Well, the optimum length to cover the HF spectrum is around 46’ if I remember correctly. I built one out of braided copper wire and pvc pipe for insulators/separators. Chris Smolinski, administrator at HF Underground, uses a 58’long T2FD, and a 120’ Main caveat is don’t use a wire-wound resistor

B.S.

Last edited:

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Well, the optimum length to cover the HF spectrum is around 46’ if I remember correctly. I built one out of braided copper wire and pvc pipe for insulators/separators. Chris Solominski, administrator at HF Underground, uses a 56’ long T2FD. Main caveat is don’t use a wire-wound resistor

B.S.
Got it, no wire wound resistor. I'll take some measurements when I get home tonight. Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Also keep in mind that if you don't have a 1.5kohm resistor, you can series wire them so that the total comes up to 1500. For example, 2 750 ohm resistors wired in series will create your 1.5kohm load (Kirchoff's law)

Mike

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Also keep in mind that if you don't have a 1.5kohm resistor, you can series wire them so that the total comes up to 1500. For example, 2 750 ohm resistors wired in series will create your 1.5kohm load (Kirchoff's law)

Mike

Oh yeah, the basics. I already have a few in the parts bin, so no big deal there. I'm thinking of going with <<THIS>> wire. It's quite a bit more than I need though.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Since I'm still in the planning stages, my next goal is to locate a .STL file to hold the resistor and antenna wires on top of the loop so it can be screwed into the wood under the eaves with a cover that can go over it. Nothing wrong with a neat and tidy installation, right?

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I couldn't find what I was looking for, so I was forced to invent and print up my own design. These can can be printed in transparent or a color that more closely matches your home. Not only are they retainers for a stealth loop, they can be used to guide the wires as well.

NOTE: These are only for wood installations, after drilling a small pilot hole.

Loop Antenna Wire Holder.png

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I couldn't find what I was looking for, so I was forced to invent and print up my own design. These can can be printed in transparent or a color that more closely matches your home. Not only are they retainers for a stealth loop, they can be used to guide the wires as well.

NOTE: These are only for wood installations, after drilling a small pilot hole.

View attachment 156176
Which material are those?