Zipcode Glitch BCD536/SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

kansaden

A few years back, after I bought my BCD536hp, it auto-loaded Indiana and Florida as it was booting up (from the very first time) when I entered in zip code 67333 (Caney, Kansas).

I tried numerous times deleting info and reloaded from Sentinel and it would always load Kansas, Oklahoma (which it should due to close proximity, even at zero range), then Florida and Indiana.

In late 2017 when I bought the SDS100, the same thing happened, using a different download of Sentinel on a new laptop.

I can enter in all the surrounding town zip codes, including unincorporated towns (two of which are also very close to the Oklahoma border and they load so fast you can't even see Kansas or Oklahoma loading (if it even does).

This must be a glitch with Uniden that affects both the BCD536 and the SDS100.

I prefer to not use favorites list and if I need to go local only, I'll narrow down to the zero from farther distance or narrow down the system/department.

The problem is, even when I'm in the car and using the GPS dongle, I always have to wait the long wait for everything to upload.

ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM FOR ANOTHER ZIPCODE?

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
If your going to use full database, it has to load full database, then figure out where you are and turn on what you want to listen to. That’s the advantage of creating your own favorite lists, as easy as a few clicks of the mouse with Sentinal!) you narrow down the database the radio loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I suspect that there are some mis-geotagged agencies in FL and IN, but very difficult to search for. I've asked our engineer to see what he can find.

daddyjohn

A few years back, after I bought my BCD536hp, it auto-loaded Indiana and Florida as it was booting up (from the very first time) when I entered in zip code 67333 (Caney, Kansas).

I tried numerous times deleting info and reloaded from Sentinel and it would always load Kansas, Oklahoma (which it should due to close proximity, even at zero range), then Florida and Indiana.

In late 2017 when I bought the SDS100, the same thing happened, using a different download of Sentinel on a new laptop.

I can enter in all the surrounding town zip codes, including unincorporated towns (two of which are also very close to the Oklahoma border and they load so fast you can't even see Kansas or Oklahoma loading (if it even does).

This must be a glitch with Uniden that affects both the BCD536 and the SDS100.

I prefer to not use favorites list and if I need to go local only, I'll narrow down to the zero from farther distance or narrow down the system/department.

The problem is, even when I'm in the car and using the GPS dongle, I always have to wait the long wait for everything to upload.

ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM FOR ANOTHER ZIPCODE?
Yes, exact thing happens to me. I'm from Carthage, MO and last weekend we took a road trip down to Tulsa, over to Muskogee then back North. I was using the GPS dongle on the 536 and I kept asking myself why it was loading Florida and Indiana. I was using full database and if it was set to 0 miles, it would load Mo, Ar, Ok, and Ks. But any range over 0 miles I had to wait for it to load those others as well and it took a lot longer to load.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

phask

Premium Subscriber
Florida seems to have numerous systems with a 300 mile + range so these will load from several states away.

It's probably needed for statewide systems.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
I Dont think its a glitch I am in wisconsin and it loads Illinois even though I am not going to hear any traffic from it. I think when you are using full database it just loads everything around so that if you travel with gps etc

kansaden

The point is it doesn't load Indiana and Florida when any of the surrounding or other Kansas or Oklahoma zip codes are entered in as location. So if Indiana and Florida are required in one single zip code, they should be required in all others. But they aren't. As far as being within a mile or so of the four state area of KS/MO/OK/AR, loading all four states is normal even when range is set as zero.

I naturally don't hear any Ilinois or Florida traffic when I'm in Kansas. But it takes a long time to load when it turns on and I don't need to scan through all that.

Hit_Factor

This is where programming your own FL comes in. Using a GPS (location based) scanning as I drive around my usual area various lists turn on and off based on my position. This keeps Indiana, Ohio, and Ontario from loading.

It will take some effort on your part to get it all together and tested, but it will be right. You'll get satisfaction from doing it well.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

Reactions: RRR

kansaden

I suspect that there are some mis-geotagged agencies in FL and IN, but very difficult to search for. I've asked our engineer to see what he can find.

Much appreciated! I suspect the problem is with my 67333 zip, since it's the only zip anywhere around here that I have the problem. But possibly in FL and IN.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
UPMan's answer is the most reasonable as I have also suspected some mis-geotagged agencies here in Florida since the first time I used the x36 line. I prefer to use Favorite Lists for local scanning and places I travel frequently. Like many others have stated, part of the fun is learning this new technology and making it work right for you. You can not get better advice than from people on Radio Reference.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Living right next to the Illinois border here in Missouri, I often did not want to monitor traffic from IL but I always had to wait while the much larger Illinois DB file loaded each time .
I finally figured out which file in the HPDB folder was the Illinois file and I simply renamed it. I did not know if it would work or cause an error but it did work and the radio booted up just fine as well as much quicker.
I think I had to do this each time I did a DB update.
When I did want to monitor that in range from Illinois, a simple rename back to normal restored it after a radio reboot.
I do not know if there may have been any log term bad effects waiting to happen but I never saw anything bad.
This also works for the Nationwide entries which uses the filename of s_000000.hpd.

Now that I use favorite lists, it's no longer a problem but I figured I'd throw this out there for those bothered by the long load times.
Hopefully one day the bad entries in the DB here will be corrected but that could be a long wait.

To do what I'm saying, look in the hpdb.cfg file in the HPDB folder with a text editor like Notepad and you can figure out which file is the state you do not want to load when this becomes a problem. The files are listed with a numeric value in their filename. This numeric value is what is shown in the beginning of the hpdb.cfg file and that number after the state name will correspond with the hpd file containing the same number in its filename.

This seems to work very well for preventing the states you do not want, from loading at radio boot if you are using the full database.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
I see this every once in a while when driving north towards Kansas. Actually, I'll have to look but I think if I put my range to 50 at my house it will load those two states as well.

daddyjohn

From area code 64836, if I select 40 miles as range ,using full database & GPS, it will load Mo, Ks, Ok, Ar, and nationwide. If I select 41 miles or more, it will also load Indiana & Florida as well as all the others mentioned. Something 41 miles from me is flagging the radio to load them even though I am 100's of miles away from them. Now if I had a whole day to kill I guess I could try to figure out which services might be tripping it. Maybe the next rainy day.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
From area code 64836, if I select 40 miles as range ,using full database & GPS, it will load Mo, Ks, Ok, Ar, and nationwide. If I select 41 miles or more, it will also load Indiana & Florida as well as all the others mentioned. Something 41 miles from me is flagging the radio to load them even though I am 100's of miles away from them. Now if I had a whole day to kill I guess I could try to figure out which services might be tripping it. Maybe the next rainy day.

with a 40 mile range, you would be loading things that are likely much further than 40 miles. I would suspect 70-80 miles or more, in all directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.