Marine Radio and hunters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4lne

Marine radio use by hunters is gaining in popularity and since I live very close to public game lands (across the back fence) I want to add those commonly used channels to the scanner for entertainment value and to generally keep track of just how close some of these hunters are to my property. Does anyone know of some common marine channels that are (illegally) being used for hunting?

N

N_Jay

kf4lne said:
Marine radio use by hunters is gaining in popularity and since I live very close to public game lands (across the back fence) I want to add those commonly used channels to the scanner for entertainment value and to generally keep track of just how close some of these hunters are to my property. Does anyone know of some common marine channels that are (illegally) being used for hunting?

LOL, I would guess juts about any of them. Why would you expect a person, knowingly or unknowingly breaking the law to care what channel they are on?:roll::evil:

kf4lne

I finally managed to locate an active frequency being used by a hunting party. They were on 156.375 MHz, channel 67. At least they are somewhat intelligent about it, that channel is used in the lower Mississippi River area, that would be a really long away from here and i seriously doubt that a 25 watt signal is going to travel across 4 states. I'm curious now as to what other channels any of you other marine monitors have found to be in use by non-boaters.

K3GI

I'll have to take a listen. Normally I'm hearing marine action on the marine channels as I live close enough to the ocean and an inland estuary to pick them up at times. I've had some hunters illegally using my property also. Probably ought to plug in the FRS frequencies for hunters also.

My brother-in-law monitored a warehousing company using marine band ht's in their operation. Guess they figured the signal would not get too far out of the building.

Lee - K3GI

kf4lne

I don't hear much huntung activity on FRS even though the forest land near here is used for hunting, but I do hear the VHF and CB stuff and sometimes I find people using MURS channels. A lot of them don't care to tell you what they are using and a lot of them have modified ham equipment.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
FRS is common near me. But where I was in VA they used VHF FM in the 142-144 range, on channels allocated to Natl Guard, MARS, and military units. Modified ham gear.

AG4WI

I used to go to a lot of off road races and there were always lots of teams useing Marine radios to talk to the drivers.
It was fun to listen when 2 teams would choose the same channel and fights were common between the pit crews.

ac7nu

Every year I Hear them on just about every channel, Most of the the time they are on ch. 16 or 22a. living right between good hunting grounds and a major port, it's always interesting to hear them duke it out.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Every year, the FCC writes a few $10,000 tickets for unauthorized land use of Marine channels. Doesn't seem to deter the masses (but I would think that those caught will be true believers from this point on).

w4rez

ac7nu said:
Every year I Hear them on just about every channel, Most of the the time they are on ch. 16 or 22a. living right between good hunting grounds and a major port, it's always interesting to hear them duke it out.

That's pretty gutsy. They ever duke it out with the CG on Ch. 16? If so, I'm surprised that the CG doesn't DF them and bring the dispute to a grinding halt.

ac7nu

The CG just talks over them for the most part. Once in a while I will get on the radio and advise the them of what channel they are on, and suggest that they move to another one. It blows my mind that many of them don't even know what freqs they are on and who they are bothering. I had the CG dispatcher come on the radio one time and thank me for running the other guys off the freq.

k9rzz

If anybody watched the Everest climbing programs on Discovery Channel, they used 144.250 for their communications. Now I don't know what the band plans are for Nepal, but they never used any ham callsigns.

:^]

John K9RZZ

kf4pep

Around here I see a lot of marine radios in hunters vehicles, and more and more a lot of 2m rigs.

The popular freq here is 144.000

kf4lne

kf4pep said:
Around here I see a lot of marine radios in hunters vehicles, and more and more a lot of 2m rigs.

The popular freq here is 144.000

How nice, thats WAY too close to home! When they start creeping up into where i am trying to play CW and SSB then I have a real problem with it!

kb9ygd

right/Wrong!

We as a species seem to just do what ever we can whether its right or wrong.I for one think that the marine radio frequencies were made for marine use& marine use ONLY.Some people will do anything if they can get by with it and that is why we as a nation have over 1 million people incarcerated.Just look at the ham bands they have professional no code techs that have been waiting for 20 yrs for them to drop the CW requirment so they can upgrade & now they have and im sure it will be mass chaos.Im of the opinion that you should do what is right and what socitiety expects of you.We would all benifit.Norm/Kb9ygd

Attachments

• Norm The Real Ham.gif
    Norm The Real Ham.gif
    67.7 KB · Views: 2,549

ac7nu

While I agree with most of the points you made in your last reply, I can't agree with you on the ham band turning to mass chaos just because the FCC droped the code requirments.

Seems to me after seeing all the mud slinging and back stabbing that is already there and the way new hams are talked to and about by older hams, that things can't get much worse than they are now.

It was my understanding that the entire ham radio idea was for us to help others in need, no matter how big or small the need. I dont see alot of that happening anymore. But thats a topic for another forum and not here (sorry)

But i do think you hit the nail on the head about marine band for marine use only.

elk2370bruce

kb9ygd said:
We as a species seem to just do what ever we can whether its right or wrong.I for one think that the marine radio frequencies were made for marine use& marine use ONLY.Some people will do anything if they can get by with it and that is why we as a nation have over 1 million people incarcerated.Just look at the ham bands they have professional no code techs that have been waiting for 20 yrs for them to drop the CW requirment so they can upgrade & now they have and im sure it will be mass chaos.Im of the opinion that you should do what is right and what socitiety expects of you.We would all benifit.Norm/Kb9ygd

Oh Please!! This is the kind of nonsense that belongs on (and confined to - or better yet, quarantined to) QRZ.com. No-code techs,"General-Lights", and "Extra-Lights" (their words) and anyone not born with a straight key in their crippled, arthritic, and ancient hand causes world-wide deterioration of the ionosphere, ring worm, global warming, the failures of church and state, dismissal of the laws of physics, flatulence, and the decline and fall of civilization as we know it. If we follow their standard QRZ pattern, the reply post will, sneeringly, confirm that I merely hold a Technician License, and probably have the IQ of a throw rug ("dumbing down") and/or will be called a "pig farmer" - another favorite phrase there and that some of us have no respect for their self-assumed elitist status (YUP That's right). Return this exclusionary philosophy to the murk and mire from whence it emananted and commune only with others of your exalted species on the peak of High Olympus. Confine this infection within its source environment (QRZ) and spare we mere mortals from utter boredom and the observation of further physical attacks upon a deceased equine. This is just another WHINE and CHEESE topic because there have been dreaded changes to amateur radio regulations (Two in as many months) As Popeye said so well in an old Cartoon, to continue this is "disgustipating".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.