What will happen to the buffs on 451.85?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvdet

over this past summer 451.85 seemed to die out - there was talk of changing to a another system?
but recent fire jobs in Bergen/Paterson the channel was silent; even on there P25 side?

while the Metro Fire photographer's group is very informative /active

onsceno

There was never any legitimate talk about going over to any other system other than our current. Unfortunately, unlike the NJMFPA, MFR is comprised of MANY "millennials" - in other words - they have switched their "buffing resources" from Facebook...

There is unfortunately a small handful of us still active on the channel.

onsceno

Millennials = The Younger Buff Generation who don't understand how to carry on a face-to-face conversation.

Additionally, don't confuse the 452.175 (Metro Fire Photographers) with Metro Fire Radio (451.85). They have been two different entities for quite some time.

mdsxfire

EDBM
over this past summer 451.85 seemed to die out - there was talk of changing to a another system?

but recent fire jobs in Bergen/Paterson the channel was silent; even on there P25 side?

while the Metro Fire photographer's group is very informative /active

I use zello for my FD and noticed they have a channel on it also, but still have not heard any traffic on that either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Millennials = The Younger Buff Generation who don't understand how to carry on a face-to-face conversation.

Additionally, don't confuse the 452.175 (Metro Fire Photographers) with Metro Fire Radio (451.85). They have been two different entities for quite some time.

Most accurate definition I have ever heard. lol. Also, I can't speak to MFR, but Metro Fire Photographers has a lot of self-employed and retired members who almost always have a radio on, which is why they're usually always active when a good job comes up. Generally their traffic is concentrated in Bergen/Passaic/Essex Counties. However, one of their Union County guys just moved back from Texas so Union County and NYC beyond 3-alarms should pick-up again this year.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Spealing of MFR, im updating my files and just wanted to confirm if all three frequencies are still used. I have the following:

451.850 PL 114.8 (Montclair) Central
478.2375 DPL 465 (Alpine) North
472.0875 PL 151.4 (Tinton Falls) South

Murenovich

Not the Flatlands, Not the Mountains in NJ
Most accurate definition I have ever heard. lol. Also, I can't speak to MFR, but Metro Fire Photographers has a lot of self-employed and retired members who almost always have a radio on, which is why they're usually always active when a good job comes up. Generally their traffic is concentrated in Bergen/Passaic/Essex Counties. However, one of their Union County guys just moved back from Texas so Union County and NYC beyond 3-alarms should pick-up again this year.

I heard it was Nebraska should be interesting for sure

SCPD

QRT
451.850 PL 114.8 (Montclair) Central
478.2375 DPL 465 (Alpine) North

I hear activity on these two and I am 10 miles from NYC using a handheld.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
would anyone be so kind to share the correct QCII tone configuration for working fire alerts on this sysytem?

Thanks!

onsceno

While, technically, we do not publish that information as ultimately anyone can then activate alerts, there is software out there to "read" the QCII information.

EncryptedTech

Good to see there is no plan of MFR going away. I have heard of people sending in applications and never hearing back about joining so i got nervous it was disappearing. I went looking this morning to see if anyone was talking about it here because I was somewhere yesterday and they said the repeater was off and they couldn't get in, I assume he was a member.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Philly had a similar channel about a decade ago, I think it was 451.700 or 451.900 where "buffs" would report major incidents in the city & surrounding counties. After it went silent I deleted the channel from my radios so unfortunately I don't recall the exact frequency but it was busy back in the day

ten13

Premium Subscriber
It's difficult to be active on a fire buff radio system when there's no fires to buff.
What fires there are seem to be a daily repetition of the "2.5 Story Frame dwelling," with no exposures, not exactly something requiring a great deal of strategy or tactics to deal with.
I understand there's a radio group up in Connecticut somewhere who went all-out and got on a paid digital trunk system with very wide coverage. The only problem is, few, if any, are using it because there's really no reason to talk on it, and the individual expense of being on it is prohibitive to some, if they are not going to use it.
It's the new look I guess, and there's little we can do about it.

ansky

This radio network just seems obsolete at this point. I follow Garden State Fire Rescue & EMS Incidents on Facebook and get up to the minute information on fires and other related incidents. There are several other similar groups. And you don't need to be a "fire buff". Anyone on Facebook that happens to be in the neighborhood where these incidents are occurring will post to that page. So you basically have an unlimited network of people reporting incidents.

onsceno

Ansky...

My point exactly a few posts up...

Though the radio aspect, THANKFULLY, weeds out the unnecessary and inappropriate Monday morning QB'ing of jobs as well as the ridiculous "prayers" that ends up overloading a thread.

Those who enjoy the radio continue to use (transmit and monitor) the system - myself included (465).

We still have a core group of guys that you will hear often enough.

Alvy159

Premium Subscriber
Is the central repeater still in operation? I haven't heard the repeater hang after a transmission, nor has anyone acknowledged any recent jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.