Sanity check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryptojunkie

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys. Great forums here with tons of info and I mean tons . I've spent the past week reading and gathering as much info as possible. I want to be able to listen in on the Fire, EMS and Police in my county and city (29730). I've checked the database and found that they all use the same P25 Phase1 trunking system. After some searching I've found a good deal on a UNIDEN BCD396XT. I just wanted a sanity check that this will do what I'm thinking.

Thanks,
Zo

RDGDigital

Welcome to RR! I am a long time BCD396XT user and very satisfied with it. (Satisfied meaning "if you could have only one scanner" the BCD396XT would be my response). It's been outdated by the HP (Home Patrol) models. But if you don't need the entire US database on a microSD card and recording function, the BCD396XT will do the job.

I also recommend getting the USB-1 programming cable and a Premium Membership to RR to allow Freescan to access their database. Programming can / will be daunting at first. You'll probably go to bed with a headache the first night. But most folks get going in two to three days. Lots of support here. Plenty of videos on YouTube for 396/996 programming.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
oh.... I was looking at this list. York County, South Carolina (SC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Can anyone tell me why they are different?

Thanks,
Zo
The link you posted is the database page for the county. It lists various cities and agencies, and the conventional frequencies assigned to them. If you look at that page, right under the header York County, is the listing for the Fire/EMS departments. There, you see a link labeled as York County SC Public Safety. Clicking on that link takes you to the same page RDGDigital posted.

The system page shows the various agencies, and their talkgroups, on that digital system you would be monitoring.

As EvilLithiumMan noted, the BCD396XT would work for that system.

Status
Not open for further replies.