SDS100/SDS200: SD Card read/write

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Except when turning on, turning off or recording, does the SDS100 read or write to the SD card?

Ubbe

I think it was said that it is only the actual parameters for scanning that are loaded from the SD card, like frequency, subtones, color codes, NAC and so on and also the texts for FL, system, site, department. When the scanner stops on activity it reads the TG and UID names or frequency name and so on that are active from the SD card. It is too much text information to be able to load all of it in RAM memory. It doesn't need to be a high speed SD card as it will only have impact on the time it takes to present it on the display, millisecond differencies, besides loading times at scan start and database updates and so on.

/Ubbe

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Okay, it reads but doesn't write.

The reason I ask is that 3 or 4 times, before I added a little padding, the SDS100 just quit as I was picking it up. I assumed the radio lost the power connection because I immediately turned it back on and it worked just fine. I don't know whether it was scanning or holding on an active transmission any of the times that it quit.

I said all that to say this, there was never any problem with the SD card because I was able to turn the radio back on each time. It continues to work just fine. If it was only reading the card, the chances of corrupting that card would be minimal. Am I correct?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Unless you disable replay - it will be constantly writing.
Okay, does that mean it's constantly recording and simply "marks" a portion when you hit the "Record" button?

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
You might want to check into that Phask....I found out it isn't just for recording, so you might need to ask someone that has a SDS100/200 and get the right answers. These new machines are a different beast from what I was told. And for having a high speed sd card, from what UPMan once said it is advisable, more than reading and writing. It is more a "a few millaseconds" as someone mentioned. But then again YMMV

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Okay, does that mean it's constantly recording and simply "marks" a portion when you hit the "Record" button?
No, it creates a separate audio file for any recordings. The files saved for the Replay feature are saved in a folder labeled as 'inner_rec' under the audio folder. Recordings made if you set the scanner to record everything are in a folder marked as 'user_rec, also under the 'audio' folder.

Besides the audio recording files, the scanner would also save any changes made during operation, like a an update of some sort to a system, department, talkgroup, or conventional channel. It also would save any chanels added, or removed, from the avoided list.

phask

Premium Subscriber
You might want to check into that Phask....I found out it isn't just for recording, so you might need to ask someone that has a SDS100/200 and get the right answers. These new machines are a different beast from what I was told. And for having a high speed sd card, from what UPMan once said it is advisable, more than reading and writing. It is more a "a few millaseconds" as someone mentioned. But then again YMMV

You're funny - can you even read a sig. line. I'll guarantee I've had a 200 and a 100 longer than you have. Or most anyone else on this sub.

MisterLongwire

Banned
Not talking about you...I am talking about the other people that don't have one yet claim blah blah...mumble jumble garbage. They are not only for recording purposes, but other stuff as well. as HIEGTX mentioned. Exactly so. Anyways, enjoy the "beast" to its fullest extent!

Ubbe

I said all that to say this, there was never any problem with the SD card because I was able to turn the radio back on each time. It continues to work just fine. If it was only reading the card, the chances of corrupting that card would be minimal. Am I correct?
Not even minimal, there's no chance of corruption when you haven't any audio recordings enabled and if you just move the scanner and the power cable detach and without you accidently touching any buttons in the process. The SDS scanner works exactly as the older 436/536 and only difference are the receiver technology, and the firmware for all other functions are identical between 436/536 and SDS100/200. So no different beast compared to older scanners when it comes to scanning functions or read/write to SD card, management of RAM memory and so on.

If you have done any changes like lockouts or other settings, then you probably loose those settings at a sudden power loss and have to enter them again as they are saved when you power off the scanner or change favorite lists.

/Ubbe

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Not even minimal, there's no chance of corruption when you haven't any audio recordings enabled and if you just move the scanner and the power cable detach and without you accidently touching any buttons in the process. The SDS scanner works exactly as the older 436/536 and only difference are the receiver technology, and the firmware for all other functions are identical between 436/536 and SDS100/200. So no different beast compared to older scanners when it comes to scanning functions or read/write to SD card, management of RAM memory and so on.

If you have done any changes like lockouts or other settings, then you probably loose those settings at a sudden power loss and have to enter them again as they are saved when you power off the scanner or change favorite lists.

/Ubbe
Thanx, Ubbe,

Though I'm not as knowledgeable about these radios as many, logic seemed to indicate that the card would load the pertinent information with user-defined parameters and then pretty much sit there until the radio was shut down.

In my case, when it shut down after the sudden loss of battery power, it simply reloaded the previous information when I turned it back on because the card was not corrupted by the untimely shut-down.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's not your thread! If you don't have any further information, leave.

budevans

MisterLongwire, I believe you miss quoted UPMans post.

UPMan's recommendation was for a High Endurance card. Not a High Speed card.

MisterLongwire

Banned
Do what you want. You guys like going in circles nit picking everything in sight. Then you get people not even having an SDS100 or 200 tearing it up and I wonder why did you buy it in the first place. And as for cards, UpMan only mentioned that they were going from a 8 to a 4 gB card, and as for higher cap cards would only slow you down in startup, not even scanning. Makes sense.... but to you "knowledgeable" ones....LOL Whatever floats your boats ladies

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
And as for cards, UpMan only mentioned that they were going from a 8 to a 4 gB card, and as for higher cap cards would only slow you down in startup, not even scanning. Makes sense.... but to you "knowledgeable" ones....LOL Whatever floats your boats ladies

High endurance cards were recommended by UPMan…..

For your next spare card, I highly recommend you switch to a High Endurance type.

So, when you go to replace your card, we are now highly recommending you get an MLC type card. They are typically advertised as "industrial" or "high endurance.".

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's almost redundant. In my experience, most high endurance SD cards are also class 10, at least all the ones I ever bought were.

Status
Not open for further replies.