SDS100/SDS200: When I turn off my SDS200

KB3SKU

Premium Subscriber
It says it's writing to SD Card..
What does it write to it exactly?

Just curious,I recently just got the SDS200 so still learning.

Ubbe

It's saving the current channel in scan and every other settings like selected scan lists, including any edits you do to channels and systems so it will start up the next time looking exactly the same, except for temporary avoids. If you don't want any mistakes you may have done to be saved, then pull the power cord so it wont have time to save anything. It will then power up in the state you had it the last time you did a proper power down.

/Ubbe

KB3SKU

Premium Subscriber
It's saving the current channel in scan and every other settings like selected scan lists, including any edits you do to channels and systems so it will start up the next time looking exactly the same, except for temporary avoids. If you don't want any mistakes you may have done to be saved, then pull the power cord so it wont have time to save anything. It will then power up in the state you had it the last time you did a proper power down.

/Ubbe
Oh ok cool thank you.
Was just curious what it was writing.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Just a note, but when you turn it on and it's writing to the card, Don't ever turn it off right away or unplug it. Let it do its thing. It's a Great unit, but it takes some getting used to .
It's reading from the card when you power it on. That takes time to load your favorites list. No harm turning it off while it's booting up.

MStep

It's reading from the card when you power it on. That takes time to load your favorites list. No harm turning it off while it's booting up.
A friend corrupted his SDS-200 sd card by turning it off quickly after turning it on. Maybe it was a freak occurrence, but the way these SDS units are designed, it's hard to tell exactly what would happen if you turned it on and then quickly turned it off. To be on the safe side, I would let the radio completely boot up and then wait a minute or two before shutting it down. No reason to tempt fate and look for trouble. Better safe then sorry.

In a very similar vein, I doubt that any knowledgeable person would shut down their home computer while it is in the middle of a start-up process.

Last edited:

blackbelter

Many posts here indicating that unexpected and or accidental powering down these scanners may cause SD corruptions.

gary123

I still recommend you have a spare cloned SD card for the scanner. Just in case something messes up. Never had an issue but for the $10 for a spare card you cant really go wrong.