Scanners that handle APCO P25 Phase 2 with Simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbertsbazaar

Premium Subscriber
Hi!
Would anyone be so kind as to provide a list of scanners that will handle APCO P25 Phase 2 Simulcast?
This would be for Des Moines, Iowa (Polk County).
There is a lot of confusion here locally where people will buy a Phase 2 scanner thinking it will work, but not realizing that the Simulcast becomes a big issue.
Looking for a comprehensive list so I can find the most inexpensive ones that will work properly, up to the more expensive ones.
Thanks in advance!

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
It’s a pretty short list.

Uniden SDS 100 / 200 are your only traditional scanner options for reliable simulcast. It’s not what I’d call inexpensive.

You can use the Unication G4 / G5 pagers. But they don’t work like a scanner does - there are different features and limitations. You can only scan one system / site at a time as well. This is not cheap either and requires some learning to wrap your head around the programming software (YouTube is your friend).

Most inexpensive would be to set up a couple SDR dongles and a computer.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
As you see poster it's a pretty cut-and-dry question. Just because a vendor or scanner company says that a radio is Phase 1 or 2 capable it doesn't mean that they actually work because of the phenomena known as simulcast.

The sds100 + 200 are great radios. They are not cheap but they have an SDR chip and are specifically simulcast capable. All other consumer scanners that say they are phase 1 and 2 capable are not simulcast capable. It's location-based. You might get lucky and in your house you can find a spot where a non simulcast radio will work but not in a mobile or portable situation as you move about between towers.

If you would like to gamble and toss the dice then buy the radio of your choice from a reputable dealer that offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can return the radio if you find that it doesn't work which it probably won't. You will have to explain that it's not defective, you just chose the wrong radio so you will probably be charged a restocking fee. Wrap it up perfectly just the way you got it and they will put it back on the shelf and sell it to somebody else.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
I too would recommend going straight to an SDS100, SDS200 or a Unication. I have monitored a number of simulcast systems during travels and have found the 436 and 325P2 performance at best has been only fair and at worst unable to monitor a system at all. You could purchase one of those and find it works adequately for you. However, you may find that with time changes to the radio system sites, new construction or changes in propagation with different seasons might degrade their performance. By then the retailer may not accept a return. I have found my SDS100 and Unication G5 perform equally well in simulcast systems. The SDS100 is very versatile with many features, although a little bulky to carry around. The G5 is very durable, has great audio and easy to carry or wear on your belt, but as mentioned cannot be programmed on the fly and can only monitor one system at a time. I don't yet have an SDS200 but I am sure it adds great audio and increased sensitivity as well as other advantages over the 100 with the disadvantage of not being portable. Good luck with your purchase whatever it may be.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
The SDS is competing with itself. There is exactly 1 product line that supports simulcast, as others have noted it's the SDS. Whistler was allegeldy developing a competing product several years ago, but it was never launched. So for the last several years the SDS has continued to compete against itself...

tvengr

Well Known Member
Would anyone be so kind as to provide a list of scanners that will handle APCO P25 Phase 2 Simulcast?
The Uniden SDS100/200 scanners and Unication G4/G5 pagers are the only radios that will receive my local Baltimore County MD simulcast system at my residence. All other scanners fail miserably. The SDS scanners were specifically designed to receive simulcast sites.

n0gik

Feed Provider
Pickup a RTL-SDR.COM dongle and search out SDRTrunk on GitHub.com. It's not a bad way to start listening. I'm in Dallas County and being right in the middle of the three simulcast towers makes my 996 pretty useless for that system. Enjoy.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Using a computer a USB SDR and software you need to have computer skills other than turning it on and clicking a mouse.
Yes I have SDR USB sticks they are just not practical for my setup of 23 base scanners just think how much power and heat 23 PC's would make.
Buddy, I thought I would throw this picture in of some of your equipment just to give some folks an idea in case they've never seen it LOL.

PSX_20220105_232610.jpg

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Using a computer a USB SDR and software you need to have computer skills other than turning it on and clicking a mouse.
Yes I have SDR USB sticks they are just not practical for my setup of 23 base scanners just think how much power and heat 23 PC's would make.
Imagine how little heat 1 PC and 23 dongles would be compared to 23 whole scanners. You can run more than one dongle per PC...

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
When it comes to feeds, I prefer to use radios, dirt cheap and performance is second to none! All fed to 1 PC.

1641506504648.png

Back to the OPs topic, you would really want one of the SDS series if simulcast is a requirement, the others can be bodged to work but they are spotty at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.