RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2017, 1:15 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Pro 197 radio shack scanner.

Anyone have a radio shack pro 197 scanner?
Old 08-19-2017, 1:43 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes. One of the best P 25 P 1 Scanners I believe ever made. Simple to operate and easy to program and tracks my P25 P1 system very well.
Old 08-19-2017, 2:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have a Pro 106 which is the handheld version of the 197. It works very well for me. I use ARC 500 to program it.
Old 08-19-2017, 3:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yes -I have a couple -what I monitor is mainly P25 Phase 1 and see no need to upgrade for now. I also have a couple of 106 portables but those need repair.
Old 08-19-2017, 3:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have a 197 and a 106, good scanners. I don't use them as much now that I have a 436 and a trx1 though.
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2017, 6:48 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yep... have a PRO-197 which has been running 24/7 for over three years providing my feed (prior to that in my car, 'till I got a new car with no room for it), and its handheld cousin PRO-106 which is our knock-around garage/kitchen/mom-cave scanner. PD of interest around here is encrypted, so both are only used on VHF for fire/EMS, but before encryption, they both worked very well on P25 Phase I.

Any specific question about them?

Don't worry, relax, have a homebrew...
Old 08-19-2017, 9:08 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

What does it mean when a a frequency start to broadcast and on the screen it shows a z like symbol in the middle and on the far left says store. What does store do exactly.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Typically, a lower case "z" means zeromatic tuning is disabled and a upper case "Z" means zeromatic tuning is enabled.

I'm not sure what screen you are in when you see "store" however it typically is used to add a frequency as a scanable object to the scanner's memory.

Shawn
Old 08-20-2017, 9:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default It Depends

I have owned a PSR 500, the handheld version of the radio in question. Due to linear simulcast distortion, I had to purchase a radio that handled the system in town. My PSR 500 was horrible on linear simulcast distortion. It pains me to say this because I was a GRE man, hardcore.

I love to use the V-folders; however, the working memory has limitations when you get into statewide trunking systems. For instance, TxWarn P25 in Texas encompasses 31 counties, some of which are Phase II. This system has three tiers: Phase 1; a combination of Phase I and II; and Phase II only.

In order to program this radio to operate on a trip is a very daunting task. I spent four long days program a trip through the middle of Colorado on IH25. Even when I limited my programming to the control and alternate control frequencies, it was insane! In order to do this, you have to see where you route intersects the sites. You are also limited to 32 of these control and alternate control channels. When you exceed 32, it can get very complicated.

With the exception of the G5 Unication pager, which handles P25 Phase I transmissions very well, there is not a better-sounding digital scanner, period. The voice sounds natural as opposed to a more "pinched and sometimes muffled audio on the one I bought, the 436HP. My PSR 500 was very loud as well.

Depending on the listening environment, it might work well for you. If you want to do some investigating, I suggest watching the performance of the radio in question on You Tube. There are many videos showing how this radio works. Some of these have side-by-side comparisons with other radios.

To me, some are biased toward a favored radio. Others are not.

If you got a good deal on the radio, you will make it work to your liking. Good luck.

Last edited by Ensnared; 08-20-2017 at 9:30 AM.. Reason: rewording
Old 08-20-2017, 10:11 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Question

This is the screen after I put the frequency into the scanner. I hit scan. The scanner will pick up the frequencies and it will start to play.

Now if you look at the photo attached you see the line in the middle. That was what I am referring too.

I do have to say I was wrong it says store on the far right. Not the left.. But anywho I push store each time it came up so it doesn't show it now. Just trying to figure out what that feature does.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2017, 1:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus91 View Post
This is the screen after I put the frequency into the scanner. I hit scan. The scanner will pick up the frequencies and it will start to play.

Now if you look at the photo attached you see the line in the middle. That was what I am referring too.

I do have to say I was wrong it says store on the far right. Not the left.. But anywho I push store each time it came up so it doesn't show it now. Just trying to figure out what that feature does.
I believe that just affirms that the scanner is decoding a PL tone, which can be CTCSS or DCS, the latter being digital. That's what you seem to have. It's supposed to be a lightning bolt, rather than a "Z." If you've got the squelch set to "search," and evidently you do if it's asking you to store the code, you can store that by pressing the F button below where it says store and it will only pass audio with that PL tone. That way you won't hear static/interference/distant stations or other garbage. Which has an upside and a downside...you might be looking for distant signals, and if you have the code stored, unless the distant station has the same PL (unlikely but not unheard of), you won't hear it.

I've had a 197 for quite awhile, it's just about my favorite scanner. Great audio and P1 decode.
Old 08-21-2017, 8:18 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I've been using my Pro-197 for a week now and I have to say that it is a great scanner so far. Very sensitive despite using the stock extendable antenna indoors. Also, it seems to me that P25 audio is much clearer and crisper than the 996T I have up at the cottage.
RS Pro-197
Old 09-12-2017, 11:31 AM

Red face Pro 197

Just bought used pro 197 scanner Any easy set up tips tricks to installing frequencies just want it for the basics
Old 09-12-2017, 2:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenshrt1 View Post
Just bought used pro 197 scanner Any easy set up tips tricks to installing frequencies just want it for the basics
Take a look here, Easier to Read Pro-651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600 Digital Scanner Manual
Old 09-12-2017, 4:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenshrt1 View Post
+1 on the above post, then get a RR Premium Membership and one of the software choices for it (Win500, ARC500, PSREdit -- all have 30-day free trials so you can test drive before you buy). You can program it manually but if you are doing more than a few entries, it's a bear.
Old 10-04-2017, 1:38 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

It is very easy to program with my trick.

Others may not like it tho.
Old 10-04-2017, 1:48 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This article from our wiki (links are always in blue) has links to everything you need to get started;

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index...iented_Scanner

Not 'easy' tips or tricks, but the stuff you'll need to know...Mike